This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    In Cheeselandialand, we came very close to implementing something called "joint and several liability." Or something like that. The thrust of it is that a party found even 1% responsible in a lawsuit can be held responsible for 100% of the damages. It was part of the state budget as written up by the Governor, but taken out in the state legislature when people complained.

So in the example you referred to, if she sued Ford because her kids died from being locked up in a hot car, and the jury found Ford 1% responsible, she could still collect millions upon millions of dollars from Ford.

And it doesn't cost anything to file a suit and most lawyers charge no fee unless you win, so why not take a shot at it?
    And people wonder why the cost of cars is so high. Yeah, it doesn't cost them anything in the short term but all these lawsuits start to add up. It will be interesting when the parents of the kids killed by the train here start racking up the victims. Never mind that the kid ran a crossing gate and went around a car that was already stopped to do so. But it must be Amtrak's or Ford's fault.

Lawyer: Now, you admit that you could build a car that would be safe from a train, but you don't want to. ARe your precious dollars that important?
    Ford Engineer: Would you be willing drive around in a vehicle that is roughly train sized? Think of the gas mileage.
    Lawyer: Think. Ha! I'm a lawyer.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
      Then she sued Ford <or whoever, i forget the make> for not having a warning label on the dashboard that says "Bitch, don't bake your damned kids."
      O_O PLEASE tell me she got what was coming to her... and I don't mean cash...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

IIRC, she was sentenced to 4 years in prison for negligence causing death <or something like that.> Also her lawsuit against Ford <actually, I'm pretty sure it was GM now that I think about it> was asking for $70,000 and was dismissed by the judge. Again, these details may not be exact, just going from memory.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          How the hell can someone forget their kids? I'm one of the most scatterbrained people I know, and I've never forgotten my kid.
          Read a story about 2 years ago or so about a woman who left her 2-year-old locked in her BMW for about 3 hours while she took her DOG shopping in some very high-end boutiques. I think it was in Manhattan.
          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X