This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah crap. *gross*

Alright so this happened about.. 4 years ago or so now. just remember it.

So the hospital i initally worked at was a teaching hospital, consequently we had students for.. well basically EVERYTHING you can think of (nurses in training, docs in training, techs, as in your's truly, xray tech, in training etc.)

Anyways so this is the very FIRST day for a new batch of students in the xray dept.

so I was just going through the procedures we do etc. and getting them to go call patients in from the waiting room, getting them comfortable w/how we worked in the dept etc.

one of the stuents comes up and tells me that 'the women over there shit herself' (I think she used a little more professional wording but whatever the point is i got told someone shit herself)

so i look over to where she's pointing and i see an elderly lady in a stretcher and beside her sitting in one of our waiting room chairs a middle aged women (say 45ish yrs old). so im thinking 'ok. the elderly women did it' so ok. that sucks right but she's old, maybe she can't help it and it's embaressing as hell for her im sure. so me and another tech (not the students cuz they dont need to deal w/this on their first day of hands on experience) go over and ask if there's a problem.
    the women sitting on the chair (must have been stretcher ladys daughter or something) says no nothigns wrong..

so we get closer and realize. the woman on the stretcher is fine, well minus being int eh hospital on a stretcher :P, but the younger women has SHIT her god damn pants while sitting in the waiting room. and she did NOT even get up to go to the washroom. to TRY to clean it off her body/back/legs wahtever.

so anyways the CW im with asks if she wants a gown and a pair of hospital pants to wear so she can go an dget out of the messed up clothes she's now wearing (and been sitting in for.. about 10 min by this point). Shit woman goes 'no it's fine i'll just change once I get home after my moms appointment'

so we grabbed some more senior staff who basically demanded she get into the washroom and change.

yea.. ok she's middle aged can clearly walk, there were several washrooms within.. oh. 20 - 30 feet of where she was. and she chooses to shit herself and then NOT take the clean clothes offered to her cuz she wanted to 'wear her own clothes'... her mother may have been physically infirm but this woman needed a shrink BADLY. lol.
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

I don't think she "chose" to shit on herself. I'm thinking she had a major accident and was too embarrassed to fully admit it. Still nasty indeed.

Comment

Quoth Willis View Post
      I don't think she "chose" to shit on herself. I'm thinking she had a major accident and was too embarrassed to fully admit it. Still nasty indeed.
      It depends on the situation. If she has a uncontrollable bowel problem, yes but if she feels she has to go badly (I know that feeling), she can run to the restroom and relieve herself.

Either way, its a hospital with sick people, don't you think it would be sanitary to go when you have to go?

Comment

Unfortunately you can't always make it in time, no matter how hard you try.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I work with old people who regualrily need a little help in that department, but you say she was only middle aged!! What the fuck??

I can't imagine a woman around 50 sitting in her own shit, thinking she can still go on with her mother's appointment??

Maybe alsheimers was getting her?? It's pretty bad.

I'm glad you got some people to look after her even though she wasn't the patient, sounds like she needed to be the patient somewhere!

We have some young people at the old folk's home. Some in their late 50's- I hope I don't end up that way. It frightens me a little.
          It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

There are medical conditions that you cant see, such as mulitple sclerosis, that affect younger people. (average age of MSers is about 40 at onset) Some people with MS cant tell when they need to go to the bathroom, (issues with numbness and no feeling in those areas, even if they can walk normally) and will only find out when it happens involuntarily.

That woman might not have had a mental problem, she may have had something like MS, and didnt realize how badly she'd messed.

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
              There are medical conditions that you cant see, such as mulitple sclerosis, that affect younger people. (average age of MSers is about 40 at onset) Some people with MS cant tell when they need to go to the bathroom, (issues with numbness and no feeling in those areas, even if they can walk normally) and will only find out when it happens involuntarily.

That woman might not have had a mental problem, she may have had something like MS, and didnt realize how badly she'd messed.
              I can understand that but to the point you're giving but this woman also didn't listen to the first techs who tried to tell her that it was bad and give her a gown and pants so that she would be able to clean herself up.

I'm sorry but if hospital workers are asking you if you need to clean up for a problem that you didn't tell them that you had, then your problem is noticeable and you shouldn't argue with them that you are fine. (Especially since it might leak out and contaminate every surface that it touches.)

Comment

Working...
              X