This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cut into my vacation for this?

Ok, so if you've seen yesterday's post then you know my vacation starts today, or at least it should have. I was scheduled to work today and friday, even though I asked off like, 4 months ago.So in the end I agreed to go into my shift today and leave at 6pm \instead of 9am (a big difference) and then I'd get friday off. So now I'm in the car with a computer and nothing to do and I thought I'd share some of today's happenings.

A big sale started today, I put all the signs for it out last night. I know what's on sale. No, there are not signs incorrectly placed, you're just stupid. Yes, I will walk back with you and read the sign that you're too lazy to read yourself. How is that false advertising if all the information is clearly printed on the sign?

There was a basket of sandals right by the register. It would literally be two feet behind the customer. This lady asked me if they were on sale, I informed her they were not. She asked if I could check. I said ok and held out my hand for the sandals. She didn't move. I said "I can check" once more. She did not move. I said "ma'am, if you would just hand me the sandals I can check...she did not move. Finally I walked all the way around, grabbed the sandals, walked back and put it into the computer. They were not on sale. She left. Come on, they're 2 dollar sandals! How cheap are you.

I walked up front and found a customer waiting to be served...on the wrong side of the counter. I mean, she was standing next to the registers in employee only land. Oh, thing that really annoyed me. Don't get angry that I couldn't telepathically sense you from across the store. Ring the bell or wait there quietly until I finish stocking and make my way back up front.

This is unrelated to the above story
    I hope I never go senile. This is not a SC, this is about a woman who used to work in the store over 20 years ago. She came in today, dressed in her full uniform from those days, and started ringing customers out. I don't know how she figured out the registers since the entire system switched over to new technology a year ago. I hadn't logged out of my register since I was the only one there, so she was able to just start scanning stuff. She couldn't figure out how to total it though, and called for a manager. I was like...wait a minute, it's only me and my manager, who is that on the phone? Turns out she thought it was 20 years earlier.

Impatient lady kept giving be catbuttface because I guess she felt like I was taking to long with the customer I was with. Sorry, there was a line and they waited in it just like you. They only had one item. This lady had only been waiting for 2 minutes. As soon as my manager went up to the register she jumped out of line and demanded the fabric be cut. My manager informed her that there was already someone on cutting counter and if she wanted her fabric cut then she'd have to wait in line. The BACK of the line.

2 minutes before I had to leave this lady came up with a full cartload of fabric to be cut. I asked if she could wait a moment while I called someone up, I did not want to get stuck there cutting stuff for half an hour. She started complaining and went on this long spiel about how I should be more considerate to others. I was on the clock and had to do what she wanted. By time she finished it was 5 and I was no longer on the clock! I informed her and left.

I changed from my work clothes into more beachy wear. My work cloths were stuffed in my oversized purse. I wasn't wearing a name tag. I had on sandals. I was standing in the checkout line getting a water. My manager hadn't acknowledged me yet. These people walked in the store and instantly came up to me asking questions. I don't remember waiting on them, how'd they know? Another lady comes up to me as I'm looking at magazines. A man pulls me to the side as I'm walking out the door. WTF? I guess I was meant to work there.

And then off to the beach! We're only 30 minutes away. I can't wait.
    Last edited by flutes_and_fabric; 07-20-2009, 12:19 AM.

You shouldn't have gone to work. The manager should've sucked it up and found someone else.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post

I changed from my work clothes into more beachy wear. My work cloths were stuffed in my oversized purse. I wasn't wearing a name tag. I had on sandals. I was standing in the checkout line getting a water. My manager hadn't acknowledged me yet. These people walked in the store and instantly came up to me asking questions. I don't remember waiting on them, how'd they know? Another lady comes up to me as I'm looking at magazines. A man pulls me to the side as I'm walking out the door. WTF? I guess I was meant to work there.

And then off to the beach! We're only 30 minutes away. I can't wait.
      This, unfortunately happens because customers come back and recognize workers so they assume that you have to help them because you work there. Most of the ones who do this are the jerks that will complain about the smallest little things. I always try and have fun with it though. I love the enraged look on their face when I refuse, after having explained that I'll be fired if I work while not on the clock. Then I especially love it when I finally get fed up trying to nicely tell them I can't and finally just say "NO!" They usually get a look on their face that I would dare to speak to them like that, then go off to tell my manager what happened. My manager always tells them that I was in the right and that if they really needed help, they should have sought out someone who was actually working at the time.

Unfortunately, that's starting to bring me less glee as it keeps happening and I've started to get meaner with people much faster.
      We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post
        This, unfortunately happens because customers come back and recognize workers so they assume that you have to help them because you work there.
        I don't have that problem because when I'm in there shopping on my own time, I'm not wearing my usual navy top and khaki pants. They seriously don't recognize me out of that combo! Which just proves that they don't really think you're an actual person.

I'm kind of glad, too, considering how many of them live in my apartment complex and I know what drugs they're taking.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

You're lucky then, Pagan. I suppose one of the nice things about working at the Club is that most of the customers treat us like people, but there are of course a few that don't. I've gone in on my days off to do some shopping and will have some of the regulars recognize me and say hi. Luckily only about half of them think I should help them in those situations, is which is a lot more than I can say for the last place I worked.
          We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Working...
          X