This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Wi-Fi issues

I know the title sounds like it should go into the Tech Support area, but the douche bags I had to deal with are truly sucky customers. Remember that I work the midnight through 8:30am shift at my hospital.

Douche Bag #1
    So I'm at my desk eating dinner and the phone rings. It's one of the nurses on the third floor letting me know that the public access free WiFi hotspot is down. She can't get to it with her iPhone and it's not evening seeing it. I tell her that I'll come up and check it out after I eat. She's fine with this, no rush.

Groovy. Thus fed I wander up with my Wi-Spy network tracer and sho' 'nuff, we have a dead access point. [fornicate]!

So I wander back to the shop, configure another one, wander back up and swap it out. Or at least try to.

No, someone who is up at an ungodly hour sees me working on the access point and calls me over. I come over and ask what the problem is. He's complaining that he can't connect to the hotspot anymore. Wants me to take a look at this laptop to see if I can fix the problem.

1. I am not allowed to touch non-hospital-equipment (employee's personal stuff occasionally, but NEVER the patients)
    2. The problem is not his laptop, but the borked access point that I'm trying to fix.

I explain both one and two to the guy, but he keeps insisting that I get off my "lazy ass" and look at his laptop and fix the damn problem. To which I reply that if he'd have just a little patience I'm doing just that and he'll be able to connect when the unit is replaced.

This does not mollify him and so he drops the race card on me. I'm not helping him because he's black.

I trump his ass and go straight to the charge nurse and report him. Nurse goes in, stays there for a few minutes, nurse comes out and closes the door. I was told "He will not listen to reason so I'm just closing the door until you get the access point fixed."

Douche Bag #2
    I get a call on the second floor to fix one of the mobile carts. It can't see the network anymore. I go up and it's one we must have missed when fixing another problem. It sees the free hotspot and it sees the SSID for the hospital's internal networking. However it doesn't have the setting enabled that tells it never to connect to the hotspot even if the signal is stronger (as they want to do if one signal goes weaker than a certain level). Mumble-mumble-grumble. At least it's a quick fix.

In short if it's not on the hospital's network (which is separate from the hotspot for HIPAA concerns) the software doesn't see the server and thus will not work.

As I'm leaving a patient calls me over. Now I cannot just ignore the patients, I have to put on a professional and helpful front. If someone asks me something medical I am supposed to apologize, explain my function, and get them to someone who can address their concerns.

So I walk over and I'm asked if I can switch them from the free hotspot to the other connection they can see since everyone else is on the hotspot and is making it slow. <blink><blink> Dude! Wait, what?

The SSID for the hospital is hidden and shouldn't show up. I look at his laptop and see Hotspot and "unnamed network".

Fucking Vista!

So I explain that the other connection is for hospital equipment only and state that I cannot allow him to connect. This sets him into a rage! How DARE I do this to a dying man?

I cannot go into details, but I did ask...he's not dying.

Again I go and get the charge nurse and I leave him to his painfully slow connection. His painfully slow 12mbps connection.

I can only guess that I'm burning off bad karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

After reading the second story, I had an evil thought...

If you could only add a little electronic bit to the equipment in the hospital, so that they would let out a high-pitched scream when you pushed a button on a handy remote...

You: "Sure, I can connect you, but sometimes it interferes with hospital equipment..."

(you 'start' trying to connect, push the hidden remote button, his heart monitor starts to squeel...)

Him: "TURNITOFFTURNITOFFTURNITOFFTURNITOFF!!!!!"

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
      Groovy. Thus fed I wander up with my Wi-Spy network tracer and sho' 'nuff, we have a dead access point. [fornicate]!

for reasons I don't understand I just busted up laughing at '[fornicate]'

and, I know the feeling, I know I earned up a LOT of bad karma (most of you know the story so I won't repeat it) and seemed to be working through it at a VERY fast rate there for the first 5 months of this year... but on the bright side, it looks like the bad karma may be waning now and things may be looking up (unofficially, I think the end of june marked the end of my working off bad karma at an accelerated rate period )
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

You realize that by saying that, you're tempting fate to dump a big steaming turd of CSitude on you, right smiley?

BTDTGTTS... *sigh*

(Been There, Done That, Got the T-shirt, for those not familiar with the term.)
        No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

On the first guy, you could have pretended to have an urgent call on your pager and left him with no internet connection for awhile longer.
          Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

I cannot go into details, but I did ask...he's not dying.
            Well, technically, he is.

It's just that for most people, it takes 60-70 years to get there.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

At least you didn't threaten ambassador's lives like Ivonava did.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                You realize that by saying that, you're tempting fate to dump a big steaming turd of CSitude on you, right smiley?
                as long as ALL it is is CSitude, I'll be happy

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                At least you didn't threaten ambassador's lives like Ivonava did.
                B5 for the win
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Ivanova.

Just sayin'.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Aaaaaa Vista! How I f***ing hate you!!!!!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Well, technically, he is.

It's just that for most people, it takes 60-70 years to get there.

^-.-^
                      I do that to people sometimes. "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!! ... eventually."
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X