X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't you see I'm not serving drinks?

Argh.

Recently I have been getting really really pissed off with the number of passengers asking for things when they can see I am doing something else.

Examples:

I am distributing the sandwich packs from the meal trolley. My collegue is doing drinks from the bar trolley. Once I have finished this I then hop on the other end of the bar and carry on with drinks. Passenger asks me for a coffee.

Me: Er...I'm trying to give everyone a sandwich at the moment. As you can see, my collegue behind me is making her way down the cabin offering drinks from the BAR trolley.
    SC: I want a coffee now!
    Me: Well I'm afraid you will have to wait a minute.

On another flight a passenger kept asking me for a watch from Duty Free.
    Me: As you can see I am currently trying to make sure everyone has a drink and a snack. We will be passing through the cabin with the Duty Free trolley after the service ok?

As I was clearing rubbish into the gash cart he then asked me again.
    Me: I have to clear in the rubbish now. I do not know if we have that watch in stock as I have been very busy. As I said before, we will be doing Duty Free soon.
    SC : Now?
    Me: In a minute!

The best part of this was we start Duty Free in business class first and a pax in there bought the watch he wanted

Then we have the pax who try to hand me rubbish whilst I am still serving drinks/food/duty free. I always say I'll be back with the gash cart after the service.

Then the pax who demand a blanket/pillow right that second when they can see we are doing a trolley service and get peeved when I tell them I'll bring them what they want in a minute.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

But but bututututuutttbuuuuuttttttttttttt!

I'm hungry NAOW, I want my useless trinket! Where's my crap gonna go? I don't want this, I want THAT!

Comment

You just need to learn to be at two places at once. I mean, really, if you're going to work in the service industry, you should know that already. The rest of us do.

Comment

Maybe it's just the flights I have been on recently, but I have found that many of them stow at least 2 or 3 blankets and pillows in the overhead bins. Pax can get them themselves, before they sit down unless they've all been taken...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I just recalled an incident from my recent vacation flight back.

On our return flight (from a hot and humid climate), the air conditioning unit/air blower thingy above a passenger's seat (not sure if that's exactly what it was, but close enough) started dripping onto his shoulder a little bit during our ascent.

The FA was in the jumper seat directly across from me (really nice guy) informed the "gentleman" that as soon as the plane had levelled out and the seatbelt sign had gone off, he would bring a towel to remedy the situation, but in any case, the problem would stop when the plane leveled off.

Nope - want a towel or pillow now!!!! Rinse and repeat. We're at the usual 45 degree angle (or more - I usually close my eyes until we're at cruising altitutude at some airports since don't like that water below thing) and the poor FA is trying to tell this idiot it's not going to happen, but I'm getting soooo wetttttt!

The stupid part - we were all completely soaked because there was a tropical shower while boarding and we'd had to walk from the terminal to the plane and up the stairs anyway. He certainly wasn't getting any wetter than he already was!

And yes - it's stopped dripping as soon as we levelled off.

Kwitcher bitchin' jackass! You're annoying the one that can save your life!
          No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Ah AirHostess, just when I start to forget...

I'm sure you've mentioned at some point those who put dirty nappies in/on your drink cart. On Trans Atlantic flights at my airline, we were required to to a trayed water service every hour and I usually received some lovely presents on the tray with the drinks that were supposed to go to a pax.

I never did understand the allure of onboard duty free myself. I found better deals in airports. When the bomb threats in the UK happened in late summer of 2006, I was stuck in Manchester. On the way back to the US, we were instructed to not sell duty free since most of it was liquid (things were just a bit strict the day after the whold liquids thing happened for those who don't know). You'd think one of us killed each of about 15 people's first born when we announced we wouldn't be selling duty free.

You have me remembering a few more. I'll have to type them up before I forget them again. Getting any closer to that last day?

Comment

Quoth chapookie View Post
              Ah AirHostess, just when I start to forget...

I'm sure you've mentioned at some point those who put dirty nappies in/on your drink cart. On Trans Atlantic flights at my airline, we were required to to a trayed water service every hour and I usually received some lovely presents on the tray with the drinks that were supposed to go to a pax.

I never did understand the allure of onboard duty free myself. I found better deals in airports. When the bomb threats in the UK happened in late summer of 2006, I was stuck in Manchester. On the way back to the US, we were instructed to not sell duty free since most of it was liquid (things were just a bit strict the day after the whold liquids thing happened for those who don't know). You'd think one of us killed each of about 15 people's first born when we announced we wouldn't be selling duty free.

You have me remembering a few more. I'll have to type them up before I forget them again. Getting any closer to that last day?
              Yep on longhaul we do juice rounds on trays and eople try to hand me crap.

I HATE doing duty free and am glad when we are 'out of stock' of items pax ask for. I never carry a float so it's cards or exact change only when I'm doing it!

29 DAYS TO GO, which includes annual leave and days off. Only 13 actual days of flying to go

Comment

Quoth AirHostess View Post
                I HATE doing duty free and am glad when we are 'out of stock' of items pax ask for. I never carry a float so it's cards or exact change only when I'm doing it!

29 DAYS TO GO, which includes annual leave and days off. Only 13 actual days of flying to go
                You must really hate the passengers to be glad that you can't give them good customer service!

Comment

Quoth Fiyero View Post
                  You must really hate the passengers to be glad that you can't give them good customer service!
                  Doing duty free is hardly good customer service. I think it's tragic that people cannot go for one flight without buying overpriced goods. People feel they always need to buy something but that's the problem with todays capitalist society.

Anyway, my main duty onboard is safety and security which takes priority over customer service.

Duty free is a pain as people um and ahh for ages over what to buy, never have exact change etc

Comment

Doing duty free is hardly good customer service. I think it's tragic that people cannot go for one flight without buying overpriced goods. People feel they always need to buy something but that's the problem with todays capitalist society.

Anyway, my main duty onboard is safety and security which takes priority over customer service.

Duty free is a pain as people um and ahh for ages over what to buy, never have exact change etc
                    True, I never buy stuff on planes so wouldn't miss it if they got rid of it.

Comment

Quoth Fiyero View Post
                      I think you may have missed the part where AirHostess says she doesn't have a float. If she has no float, she has no means of making change. No means of making change = requiring exact change.

Unless, of course, she gets lucky and a passenger pays her in all coins that she could then use to make change for other passengers, but the chances of that happening are normally slim to none.
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Argh.
                        SC: I want a coffee now!
                        Me: Well I'm afraid you will have to wait a minute.

SC : Now?
                        Me: In a minute!
                        Do me a favor, AirHostess, if you could.

Take a look at the outside of your plane. It really does say "MightyBigInternational Airline" (I'm paraphrasing, here) and NOT "Miss Nancy's Flying Preschool?" Really?

But it comes back to this point. It's uncomfortable, and it makes a lot of people angry, but I'll say it anyway.

White people*. With money. Are the most helpless people ANYWHERE on the planet.

"I want it NOWWWWW!"

"What do you MEANNNN I have to pump my OWN gasssss!"

"Isn't there somebody to pour my coffee!"

"You mean I have to do my OWN shopping! What kind of place is this?"

"I have to push TWO buttons to make the gas come out! Why is this so HARD!?!"

You get the idea.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          Unless, of course, she gets lucky and a passenger pays her in all coins that she could then use to make change for other passengers,....
                          Well, if you stop to think about it, someone paying in all coins could very well be worse...seeing as how she'd have count all of the damn things >_> would be a pain at the security checkpoint, too...
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                            "Miss Nancy's Flying Preschool?" Really?
                            HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes, and there's a crudely drawn smiley face on the tail. Oh wait, that might infringe on the logo of another European airline.

Tony, I agree wholeheartedly with your post; however, lock everyone in a pressurized tube and they're equal-opportunity whiners.
                            Last edited by chapookie; 07-21-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                              Do me a favor, AirHostess, if you could.
                              But it comes back to this point. It's uncomfortable, and it makes a lot of people angry, but I'll say it anyway.

White people*. With money. Are the most helpless people ANYWHERE on the planet.
                              Lol I don't know, I've run into some real headcases that aren't white who are pretty crap at doing things for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X