Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curse the buy/sell/trade business model!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse the buy/sell/trade business model!

I HATE HATE HATE working in a job where you buy/trade for merchandise and then resell it. Here we buy/trade for used books and most of the time people are fine, but too often you get a complete EW or just generally insane people who don't understand that this system works to OUR benefit, so that WE can turn a profit, not necessarily to benefit the person selling the books to us. Got two real gems today! Huzzah.

Crazy Guy: CG
    Note: This guy apparently could barely hear anything I said, he wasn't that old nor did he have a hearing aid. Just kept saying "WHAT WHAT WHAT!?!@?!?!" when I talked to him. Very annoying

CG: I got some books to sell!
    Me: Great, I'll take a look at them for you.
    (CG does not allow me to look through the bag, instead he takes them out one by one and shows them to me. They're all in terrible condition, etc etc etc )
    Me: [as he shows each one] Sorry, I can't use it.
    CG: What!! Why not this one! Why not this one!
    Me: Well, it's just a little too --
    CG: WHAT!!! ?!?!?!? ?!?$?@#@ I can't hear you!!!!!
    Me: [louder] I said, I don't see any --
    CG :WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11!!1!!! SPEAK LOUDER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Me: [literally shouting] IT'S TOO BEAT UP SORRY. I CAN'T USE IT.
    CG: WHY NOT!!!
    Me: :facepalm:
    CG: Can't you give me a few dollars for this one?
    Me: Sorry, I ---
    CG: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!
    Me: [help me plz] I JUST CAN'T USE ANY OF THESE!!! SORRY!!
    CG: GRRR! You're so mean! Did you ever hear of KARMA young lady?
    Me: ...
    CG: Karma is when you are mean to people and then what goes around comes around and so now you were mean to me so you're going to get bad karma forever! You couldn't even give me a few dollars! That is so mean! Bad karma for you!
    Me: BYE NOW! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Superbitch: SB
    Note: SB is a girl about my age with a bag full of beat-to-heck "chick-lit" novels which is something we can't use right now because we have a billion of them argh.

SB: Got some books to sell.
    Me: Great, I'll take a look.
    SB: I bought all these here.
    Me: [thinking: no you didn't you lying bitch because half of these still have the library cards in them!] Okay.
    SB: [stands at the counter staring at me while I go through her books which is creepy as hell btw]
    Me: Okay, I found two books I can use! I can give you xxx in cash or xxx in store credit for these.
    SB: What!
    Me: ... Huh?
    SB: Why can't you use these other ones?
    Me: Sorry, we have a lot of "chick lit" right now, we can't use these. Also we look a lot at the condition of the books, blah blah spiel.
    SB: *catbutt face* How much can you give me for this? I bought it here for yyy. (This was true and also besides the point)
    Me: I can give you xxx.
    SB: Well I'll just return it then for yyy.
    Me: Er... sorry, but we don't return books. We only buy and trade for them.
    SB: [Flips out!] Oh my god! You are such a bitch!!
    Me: Well I'm sorry you feel that way but you're welcome to take your business elsewhere and I suggest you do so!
    SB: What's your name? [I give her my name and a business card] Do you have a last name?
    Me: Uh, no.
    SB: What's your supervisor's name? [Give that to her] I just want to know who I can complain to about you being such a bitch.
    Me: Alrighty then.
    SB: Can I use your pen?
    Me: ...
    SB: [grabs pen and writes stuff down on the card]
    SB: Bye, you stupid bitch!!

I was so pissed off at this point because I had not even used a snotty tone with her at all! I didn't want to open my mouth lest I spit on her. Thank god my boss trusts me over some random crazy or I bet I would get in a lot of trouble because she was MAD. But really!!!! I have a few friends who work at a buy/trade clothing store and they have this problem multiple times every day because they're so much busier than we are. Seriously, this is 100% the worst part of this job. Otherwise, it's rather lovely
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

I get this all the time at the games store. Little Jimmy comes in with mommy to trade in a bunch of his old games, most of which are scratched to hell, missing cases and just generally not good quality.

I give a total, followed of course by mommy chewing me a new one about "ripping off kids" and so on and so forth.

It's not always about condition. I think it's fantastic you brought me a pristine looking copy of Grand Theft Auto IV but you must realize I already have 22 copies on hand. Supply and demand people, supply
    and demand.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

and they DEMAND that you give them full price back....
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Working...
      X