This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look behind you mate

First post time... I now work as a journalist and hope in time to get on to some of my SC tales from this job (with occasional pwnage along the lines of "I think mister dictaphone should settle this dispute").

But I'll start with a classic from the old days working in a pub. This place wasn't exactly the most salubrious location but even so, the setup to this tale is rather extreme. It's not actually the story but the pay-off that contains the SC.

So it's a quiet afternoon with only me and a supervisor working. We used to have a happy "hour" from I believe 3-6pm to encourage the desperate to continue drinking through the day. And truly we did attract the desperate. This day a group of about 6-8 deadbeats take a table in front of the bar about 5.30pm, one of whom decides to improve everyone's afternoon by collapsing unconscious thanks to some gear he took before coming in the pub.

Then the situation gets better by far as two of his mates take objection to another one who they claim sold him this stuff. Take it up another notch as the solo guy pulls a (small) knife. Great. My co-worker, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, goes up to try to break this situation up while I call the Police.

Then my manager gets back from break, sees what's going on (effectively by this point a rather worrying standoff with my supervisor between three angry parties - one armed - and an unconscious bloke, all shouting at each other in an otherwise quiet pub) and tells me to stay behind the bar at all costs. Only too happy to oblige old boy.

Then the following exchange takes place.

BOD: Bearded old drunk who sways up to the bar.
    Me: Yup

BOD: Is it still happy hour?
    Me [looking pointedly at serious crime occurring about five metres away]: Well yes I suppose you could say that.
    BOD: Pint of Directors then.
    Me:

I mean seriously, at what point do you start to think "maybe I'll wait for this drink, or even consider obtaining it at another facility"? Presumably he was waiting for the second death.

Well, it may be your first post, but already I'm your first fan!

Hilarious story, and so hilariously told!

Comment

Well thanks very much. I'll come back here.

Comment

Well done, & Welcome!

Working night-shifts downtown, I've become so desensitized to freaks, crazies and drunks...

About 2 months ago, shortly before the start of my shift, I went to grab a couple slices of pizza. It was a typical friday night, lots of drunken idiots all over the place. 5 of said idiots are having a fight right in front of the pizza place. As I'm locking up my bike, one of them pulls a gun. People start freaking out, screaming, running....
        I walked right past him and placed my order.

A couple weeks ago, I chased a junkie out of the hotel's parking lot who had been checking out cars to see if any of them had anything worth breaking into for.

He had a rifle slung over his shoulder.

That didn't even stike me as odd until after I'd gotten rid of him.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Welcome, welcome! You'll find a lot of us have some crazy shit that goes on pretty much all the time.

He still wanted to drink with a stand-off going on? I have to wonder whether he reacted at all to the scene, or if he'd just seen the situation so many times it doesn't bother him any more. Worrying thought, that.
          I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Excellent story!

And, to !
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Welcome Welcome!

I look forward to more of your stories! ^_^
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

Working...
              X