Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knock Knock. Whos There? Interrupting COW...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock Knock. Whos There? Interrupting COW...

Most cashiers have a few things they're required to say/ask for when they're performing a transaction.

I've recently noticed that of my transactions of late go something like this:

"Would you like the extended warranty? It offers--"(I'm still in the middle of my sentence)

"No"

"--fifteen months--"

"NO!"

"--for only--"

"NO NO NO I SAID NO!!!!!!!!!"

Whatever. They don't want what i have to offer.

BUT WHEN DID IT BECOME OKAY TO INTERRUPT SOMEONE SO GDDM RUDELY and then get mad at me when i simply try to finish my sentence?

I'm seriously not trying to give a 30 minute long time-share pitch or something. It's two sentences. And they're all just so fricking rude about it!

MOOOOOO!
    Love that joke.
    Not when it's real life, though. My sympathies.
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I've found myself on the sc end of this story before. I usually just say no thank you, not just no, but I have cut the sales person off before. I understand it's something that has to be asked (at my work I don't follow this policy because it usually leads to more trouble than sales. My manager agrees.) Before going into a pitch I always ask if the person would like to hear about our warranties/specials/sales/whatever. What I really hate is the 3 times rule, where the customer has to say no at least 3 times before dropping the pitch. But yeah, I've definitely been a sc before when it comes to this. At our local video store the guy who works there has a 20 minute speech he always gives about different offers and such. He knows me. He knows I'm going to say no. He knows I'm going to cut him off because that's the only way to make him shut up. I've actually screamed at him to shut the f*** up. I'm still looking for someone to post about a crazy sc matching my description.

Comment

Twenty minutes is excessive if that's really how long his speech is, but i still hope never to have you at my register, flutes and fabric.

And i've often found that it's people who automatically start screaming "no" at me the second I open my mouth who suddenly go "what? a year and a half for $2.99!!? Well of COURSE i want it!"

Comment

Fortunately, I've never had to offer customers these kinds of things. When people offer me this kind of stuff, I usually just let them finish and then say "no" if I don't want it. No need to make anyone's job harder than it already is.

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
            At our local video store the guy who works there has a 20 minute speech he always gives about different offers and such. He knows me. He knows I'm going to say no. He knows I'm going to cut him off because that's the only way to make him shut up. I've actually screamed at him to shut the f*** up. I'm still looking for someone to post about a crazy sc matching my description.
            Okay, that's a bit excessive, especially if he knows you (and indicates that he remembers you)....I had some regulars in the stores who didn't have the member card, and I asked them the first few times I saw them, I'm sure, but when I had seen them enough to know that they didn't have it and didn't want it, I stopped asking. Then again, I wasn't one to go into the whole spiel with every customer. I generally stopped after "do you have/know about our member card?" "yes, and I'm not interested." OK, then have a nice day.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Not justifying the SC's rude response, but I'd like to play devil's advocate. I've been to a number of stores that push push push their warranties/deals/etc and even after one (or more) firm NOs are given. Being all nice with a "Ah, no thank you" doesn't always work. I don't shout at employees, I just maintain my distance and am firm. But I admit it's really annoying when associates seem so...eager. And yes, I fear I've interrupted in my time. Though that's typically when I go to a store repeatedly and hear the same spiel over and over and over...
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I've actually found a way that works for me. The first time I just politely say "no thank you" and then simply ignore all further attempts. Don't respond with any words or a look or anything. I then end the transaction with a friendly smile and somewhat vacant look.

Like I say, it works for me 'cause I'm pretty laid back and can let the verbal flow just wash over me...but I know that not everyone is like that.
                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

It's the telemarketer syndrome. They don't stop trying without 3 'no's. (my ex was one. in their training they are told they will be fired if they accept one or two no's. has to be 3). So I usually say something like 'no. Not interested, no thank you.' all at once. there's their 3. If they persist, I will then firmly ask 'What part of NO are you having trouble understanding?' Most retail workers don't persist, because they have done what is required to keep their job and they are understanding. Hard sell telemarketers will persist sometime because they earn more money over their base if they sell more crapola.

Comment

i'd never heard of the 'three no' rule before and it sort of explains why some people feel the need to say no so many times.

However in my situation i only ask once. I get two words out after saying "hello" and they're jumping down my throat. I'm perfectly happy to take no for an answer, and just once. But they don't even give me the CHANCE to get it out even once!

Comment

i agree that its rude to interrupt a person and that's sucky but sometimes some salespeople can't take the hint. I have had some customers tell me that they didn't want our phone service but the salesperson would just charge them for it.

BTW, whenever I go to the mall, i don't even look at the people who sell those "special nail files" because they are so pushy.

Comment

Just a reminder, folks. We're not in the business of attacking each other on here.

It's not quite got to that stage yet, but I can see the potential.

Rapscallion

Comment

I hear where you're coming from.

It was the same thing every year whenever we did one of those Red Dresses for cancer deals, or the Balloons for the Children's Miricle Network. We were required to try to sell them to every customer, so I'd always ask "Would you like to donate a dollar to the Children's Miricle Network?"

Most people just politely say no, or sometimes they buy one. Some people give me a speech about how they all ready donate, or whatever. Others are outright rude about it.

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                            I've actually found a way that works for me. The first time I just politely say "no thank you" and then simply ignore all further attempts. Don't respond with any words or a look or anything. I then end the transaction with a friendly smile and somewhat vacant look. Like I say, it works for me 'cause I'm pretty laid back and can let the verbal flow just wash over me...but I know that not everyone is like that.
                            I do that, but with my customers, when they attempt a stupid joke or badger me for an answer other than "fine" (to their query about how I am.)
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
                              At our local video store the guy who works there has a 20 minute speech he always gives about different offers and such. He knows me. He knows I'm going to say no. He knows I'm going to cut him off because that's the only way to make him shut up. I've actually screamed at him to shut the f*** up. I'm still looking for someone to post about a crazy sc matching my description.
                              He's probably required to say it, and will be written up if he doesn't, or if he deviates from the script.

When I worked at blockbuster, whoever was out on the floor was required to push the rewards membership on every customer that walks through the door, even though about 65% already were members, and about 30% weren't interested. You could get written up for not trying to push it on a customer who comes in every single day and has been a member for years.
                              Also, my particular store had no less than 18 pieces of signage about rewards memberships, and 5 separate tvs playing nothing but a looped promo for it. It was impossible be in the store and not be aware of the rewards program unless you were both blind and deaf, and if you ARE both blind and deaf, you probably don't rent a lot of movies from blockbuster.
                              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X