This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and the bcl

I have here a story that I was told by a friend that I had to post.

(Un)happy as a....

Me: Hi
    Bitchy clam lady: Duh

This woman had a snotty attitude right from the the start but I was still nice to her. In the fish case at work we have 1/5 of it set aside for the clams. Littlenecks (small, really popular) on the left, Cherrystones (big, almost nobody buys these) on the right. In the middle are 8 bags of musscles. I would also like to point out that she was watching me the whole time, and the bags we use can easily fit 2 dozen cherrystones.

Me: Hi, what can I get for you today?
    Bcl: I want a dozen clams.
    Me: (stupidly thinking she wants the littlenecks)

After I bag and price them I put the tag, give them to her and ask if she would like anything else, then she looks at me like I should die.

Bcl: No! I wanted these! (points to cherrystones)
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, I'll fix it.

I fix the clams and give them to her and I get the death look again, please leave lady.

Bcl: What the hell is this? (slams bag down on counter) Don't you have a sticker or some tape to close this? Do you want all these to fall out, what was that sound?

I take the bag from her to make sure she didn't break any clams, sure enough I have to replace 2. I notice that a small line has formed behind her, 3 of my regulars.

Me: Before I had to replace your clams I was going to tell you that we don't have any twist ties, but the bakery does.
    Bcl: You mean to tell me I have to walk all the way over there? You go get it!

So I walk over to the bakery to get bcl a twist tie and see Barbra (bakery lady) seting up some pies, and say I have a bitch to tell her about later. I return to my seafood counter and hand bcl the twist tie to her.

Bcl: You mean I have to do it my self? (takes the tie and ties the bag completly shut) Thanks for nothing.

After she left I apologized to my other customers and got through them rather quickly, took my break and told Barb about the bcl. We were both surprised that I was so calm.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Oops, might have gone over the line with this one, not sure. <edit>
    But no rule again SC's spoiling their own food, I'm sure <g>

P*S
    Last edited by Plague*Star; 07-24-2009, 04:15 AM. Reason: self-moderation

Comment

Bcl pwnd herself. She completly sealed all the air out of the bag, the clams couldn't breathe and most likely all died and opened up before she got home.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

Tie the damn bag in a knot, if you must. That's what I do with produce bags. I don't bother with twist ties.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Sarah Rhapsodos View Post
          Bcl pwnd herself. She completly sealed all the air out of the bag, the clams couldn't breathe and most likely all died and opened up before she got home.
          I feel sorry for her family... and her plumber

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Huh. I never knew clams needed air. Do you assume if someone's ordering clams that they know a) how to transport them & b) how to prepare them? I guess I would probably wonder why the bag wasn't closed too. But she didn't have to be such a bitch about which ones you chose for her if she never said specified.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

If this is something that could potentially make her sick, I would have still warned her about sealing the bag. I'm worried for your store that she's going to try and sue.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                If this is something that could potentially make her sick, I would have still warned her about sealing the bag. I'm worried for your store that she's going to try and sue.
                They probably won't make her sick if she's cooking them the same day. They'll just be really tough and will probably still have sand in them. You have to put your fresh clams in a bucket of water for a while so they expel the sand in their tube. Then you dump them in boiling water with a little white wine and maybe some garlic.

I hate clams, but living in Nova Scotia I've learned how they should NOT be handled.
                What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  Huh. I never knew clams needed air.
                  not trying to be snarky-but they are "live clams"-all known carbon-based life forms need air

I had a pet clam once-$1 from the pet store-name was Hanson-my Betta ate him

wasn't going anywhere with this-just wanted to share
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I'm afraid I have to agree that she should have been warned about that no matter how much of a bitch she was being. I've never had clams other than from a restaurant or frozen so I don't think I'd realize they are still alive and still and therefore need air but I can't say I blame you (your friend) for not making the effort either
                    I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

She came back last night and said nothing about the clams, but she did buy some shrimp and flounder. I don't think she remembered me.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        not trying to be snarky-but they are "live clams"-all known carbon-based life forms need air
                        I dunno that I'd have put 2 and 2 together and come up with "clams were still alive." I'm used to the stuff I buy at the store being, ya know, dead. If it was a specialty shop, sure. But a seafood department in a grocery store? Nah.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                          I hate clams, but living in Nova Scotia I've learned how they should NOT be handled.
                          Grew up on PEI.....I hate clams so much. If I ever see another clam it will be too soon. But ya, don't fark with the clams. After I was ritually forced to go clamdigging for the umpteenth time we'd always throw em in big buckets of water to clear them out yes.

Honestly I won't eat any seafood these days. Not after the years of living on an island where it was not only possible but practical to just walk 10 minutes to the shore and get dinner.

I doubt you could do it there these days. But when I was a kid you were never more than 15 minutes away from a clambake. <shudder>

Clams and lobster. Lobster too, gah. Big farkin' mean PEI demon lobster. Waiting in the sink for small children like myself and my cousins.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          I dunno that I'd have put 2 and 2 together and come up with "clams were still alive." I'm used to the stuff I buy at the store being, ya know, dead. If it was a specialty shop, sure. But a seafood department in a grocery store? Nah.
                          Half the fun of the seafood department is most of it is still alive. ;p

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                            Half the fun of the seafood department is most of it is still alive. ;p
                            Not in Alberta, ya hoser. The closest thing is probably the shrimp, which after being on ice all day, I don't think they're alive any more.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              I dunno that I'd have put 2 and 2 together and come up with "clams were still alive."

um they usually spit- or open and close their shells.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X