Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Try Kiddies...in other words, you are STUPID!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Try Kiddies...in other words, you are STUPID!

It is Friday, we are busy because everyone wants tacos before heading to the races or the lakes. Bree was working drive thru and she comes up to me with this check. She said "D, this check does not look right, what should I do?" So I look at the check and thought, "OH MY GOD!! WHAT IDIOTS", and I knew instantly that it was a bad check and we were going to get scammed. So here's the deal and why I knew it was a bad check. The total for the order was $40.78, the check had the amount $47.87 (of course we don't take checks for over the amount anyways). The great part was in the section where you are to write out the amount...this is what they had written..."fourty seventy eight and 78 cents". Now COME ON who is THAT STUPID!! I walk over to the window and tell them that the check is not filled out properly and they needed to give me a new check or cash. Of course there were about five "kiddies" (teens) in the car and they said, "oh we will be right back, we need to go to the ATM", YEAH RIGHT, you little shits!! I knew that they were scamming!! The DUMMIES!! I had fun giving out free tacos and drinks to my other customers because we had the order made by the time they reached the window. Oh yeah, they never came back!! HA! I also praised Bree for being to attentive about the check, thank goodness that she double checks all her transactions or I would have had to explain to Lisa about how we accepted a obvious bad check. That reminds me, I am going to talk to my crew before our shift tommorrow and make sure each one double checks the checks that they get.
    Last edited by jnd4rusty; 07-25-2009, 09:24 AM.

I caught a bad check once. When I was in highschool we had this professional scam going on in our mall and we had to call loss prevention or a manager every time we got a check from a particular state that was just far enough away to be plausable but still unlikely.

The scammers would use the checks to buy hundreds of dollars in gift cards.

When he got to my line I called a manager and played it off like it was standard procedure. He got riled up and started screaming at me. When i refused to give back the check he ran off and i had to provide a description of him.

It was all very dramatic.

Any check issues i've had since have all been about expired ID thank goodness.

Comment

I once took a check that we couldn't cash- not because there wasn't money in the account, but because they made it out to the wrong bookstore. I work at "Sheds and Lorders," they'd made it out to "Edges." I'd checked ID, made sure names matched, checked the amount... didn't think to actually read the 'pay to the order of' line. Because seriously, who makes that mistake?

I'm just really lucky the customer was nice and came back to fix it.

Comment

Aw, did they grab mommy's checkbook when she wasn't looking?

Comment

And then there's the customers (usually teens) who tell me it's their mom's check when I ask for ID and question why his name is Janet. Whether mommy wrote the check to *big box retail* so junior could buy groceries is irrelevant. His name isn't on the check and I'm not taking it. And naturally junior is always shocked at something so ridiculous as fraud prevention.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

When I used to work at a grocery store my Mom would often come in to do her grocery shopping. One time she came up all upset because a lady had stolen her wallet. We had security take her upstairs to point out on camera when it was taken.

As I was working the customer service desk a big black woman about 6'3" comes up and wants to cash a check. I take the check and as I'm looking at it I notice something odd...she has two purses and one of them looks mighty familear. I look at the check more closely and hit a couple bad buttons on the register that would be sure to lock it up. Exclaiming that I'm an idiot and that I have to call for a manager to cash the check the lady looked...worried but not so much that she would leave.

Manager comes and he looks at the check, does a double take and the lady is stopped in the store for stealing my Mom's wallet and then trying to cash one of her checks. One Mom's purse is a picture of her and I...so yea I knew she wasn't my 5'2" little white grandma looking Mom.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              And then there's the customers (usually teens) who tell me it's their mom's check when I ask for ID and question why his name is Janet. Whether mommy wrote the check to *big box retail* so junior could buy groceries is irrelevant. His name isn't on the check and I'm not taking it. And naturally junior is always shocked at something so ridiculous as fraud prevention.
              Time was, my parents and I would do exactly that (occasionally, when there wasn't cash to hand). I was well used to taking the big cargo tricycle down the road to the supermarket, with a very specific shopping list in hand. Possibly the checkout staff ended up recognising me after a while.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                My mom used to do that when I started driving. But at the time a lot of stores still had their own cards that you had to have to cash a check, rather than asking for state ID. Not that that's really secure...if you steal someone's bag, chances are the card'll be in there, too.

Quoth 4love View Post
                I once took a check that we couldn't cash- not because there wasn't money in the account, but because they made it out to the wrong bookstore. I work at "Sheds and Lorders," they'd made it out to "Edges." I'd checked ID, made sure names matched, checked the amount... didn't think to actually read the 'pay to the order of' line. Because seriously, who makes that mistake?
                I don't think I've ever gotten that, but I have taken an awful lot of checks made out to Barns and Nobel. I guess we won the prize for literature?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  When I used to work at a grocery store my Mom would often come in to do her grocery shopping. One time she came up all upset because a lady had stolen her wallet. We had security take her upstairs to point out on camera when it was taken.

As I was working the customer service desk a big black woman about 6'3" comes up and wants to cash a check. I take the check and as I'm looking at it I notice something odd...she has two purses and one of them looks mighty familear. I look at the check more closely and hit a couple bad buttons on the register that would be sure to lock it up. Exclaiming that I'm an idiot and that I have to call for a manager to cash the check the lady looked...worried but not so much that she would leave.

Manager comes and he looks at the check, does a double take and the lady is stopped in the store for stealing my Mom's wallet and then trying to cash one of her checks. One Mom's purse is a picture of her and I...so yea I knew she wasn't my 5'2" little white grandma looking Mom.
                  Oops.....what are the odds?

Comment

I'm so glad that I haven't had to deal with checks for over 4 years now
                    The only thing I got was people filling out a different number on the written part than the number part. Though apparently one time the bank got pissy and didn't want to accept a check because the pay to the order line said "Long's" instead of "Longs"... it's like seriously, you have to be shitting me.

This does remind me of an old sightings that I should post about an argument I got into with my bank when they refused to allow me to stop payment on a series of checks without paying the stop payment fee, the checks had been stolen, I asked why they charged a fee for stolen checks and not for stolen debit cards, and they explained "well, because if the person doesn't have a matching ID and signature they can't use the check"... yeah... just like that stops them from using my credit card... morons.
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Wayyy back in the summer of 2001 when i was working at lowes for the summer i was in the back lumber checkout. A guy came thru with a cart of several hundred dollars of stuff. He presented a check with only a womans name on it. Now if they have the same last name and address( i think) on thier id then they can use a spouses check. So this guy has to get his id from his truck, but never comes back. I dunno if he was scaming or left it at home or what. He was a bit old and i just got the felling that he was a bit confused or not fully there.

Comment

Working...
                      X