This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it always ME?

I've been closing the store the last few days. I hate doing it, but I don't really have a choice.

It's 1 AM. I've had a long day, my feet ache, I just want to go home and relax. A woman comes up and approaches me outside. "Why are the lights off inside?"

Biting my tongue to withhold snark, I say, "We're closed, ma'am."

"But you CAN'T be closed! I have to get my groceries!"

"Ma'am, we've been open since 6 AM. Can't you come back tomorrow?"

"No! You go in there and I'll be no more than 15 minutes."

"Ma'am, my till is locked away, I'm clocked out, we're CLOSED."

The lady gets right in my face. "I need to get the fixings for the church potluck tomorrow. If I don't have them, they will be very angry at me. What are you going to do about that?"

I go silent for a moment. "Okay, I know what I'm going to do."

The lady grins smugly. "What?"

"I'm going to go home and go to sleep. Good night."

And with that, I walk into the parking lot and drive off. The lady is still standing there with a look on her face.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine....

Comment

I'm shocked you even talked to her. beyond "We are closed" I won't talk to potential customers off the clock. I would have just kept walking. *bows* you have much more patience than I.
      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
      -Red

Comment

Am I the only one who is baffled by people who wait till 1am to decide "Blimey - I better nip down to supermarket right this instant and the yell at the staff for being closed, because the 19hrs of shopping time today that I could have purchased my required items isn't enough"

I would have loved to find out if she was there at 6am when you opened to buy her food

Cookies for your calm manner and your comeback
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
          Am I the only one who is baffled by people who wait till 1am to decide "Blimey - I better nip down to supermarket right this instant and the yell at the staff for being closed, because the 19hrs of shopping time today that I could have purchased my required items isn't enough"

I would have loved to find out if she was there at 6am when you opened to buy her food

Cookies for your calm manner and your comeback

You have to realize, these are the people who are so use to shopping at Wal-Mart that they don't realize that EVERYONE ELSE, actually closes at some point.
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I think I've posted it here before but anyways the grocery store I worked at during college and a couple years after college was open 24 hours every night except Sunday. One Sunday night I had the pleasure of closing and I was waiting for one of my coworkers who was a Customer Service Manager. I don't know how many people I saw hit themselves on the door as it didn't open.

Comment

Hee, I worked Xmas day, the ONLY day when one of our stores was NOT open. I sat in the parking lot for a while counting the number of people who actually parked and tried to walk through the doors, only to mash their faces. I reveled in their looks of confusion.

I counted approx. 200 cars.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Well if God's house is always open, why not the grocery store?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

So, she had this potluck to work on...she obviously knew about it in advance because it was a major event...and the food has to be ready early tomorrow morning...And yet, she did not plan to start *preparing* said food or even laying it out until the morning of...

...Huh.

Remind me to never attend any of this lady's potluck meals >_>
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I bow to you for doing this. Maybe if she joined the cult of Foamy she wouldn't have to worry about pot lucks. Unless they were ones with bagles and cream cheese.
                    I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20090717
                      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                        You have to realize, these are the people who are so use to shopping at Wal-Mart that they don't realize that EVERYONE ELSE, actually closes at some point.
                        I think you are right. Folks assume that other grocery type stores are always open. It is also amazing what some people try to pass off as an emergency. Well, maybe not amazing, more like disgusting.
                        For civilized discussion about broadcasting, media and sports along with fun games to play, visit:
                        http://atriumforum.com/
                        Emphasis on Michigan area broadcasting, but ANYONE is welcome!

Comment

Working...
                        X