This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    On the upside we had tons of snow days that got us out of school. Because they couldn't dig the school doors out.
    Lucky bugger. We rarely had snow dumps like that. Province isn't wet enough for that. So we got to go to school in the -40 weather. Plus wind chill. FFS.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Our version of winter is a couple of weeks of 40 degree weather with one or two days in the mid 30s. When those days hit it everyone looks like they are dressed for a blizzard in canada. I just wear a thicker leather jacket when I ride my bike.

(yep, I can ride year round.)
      I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

My apartment has central air and i keep it on all day and night. 115 degrees outside; 70 degrees inside. Of course, it helps that the utilities are all included in my rent.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I'll take the cold over the heat any day. You can bundle up against the cold, it's harder to bundle down for the heat (and still be acceptable in normal society. ).

I used to (ok I still do) look enviously at PEI's snowdays. I grew up in Woodstock, NB and now live in Fredericton. And it seemed that every major storm that hit the province either went north of us to the Gaspe, or south of us through Saint John and Moncton. So we hear stories about how Moncton's gotten another metre of snow, or Bathurst is digging out from another blizzard, and we barely get flurries, maybe a couple of centimeters of snow at best.

Anyways, back to the summer. So far this year we've had a very wet summer; in fact they're saying some of the crops are down/not doing as well this year because there's too much water and not enough heat to grow them properly. But all of the predictions for August are that we'll be mid to high 20's most of the time, and more sun shine.

Comment

Quoth marlovino View Post
            Our version of winter is a couple of weeks of 40 degree weather with one or two days in the mid 30s. When those days hit it everyone looks like they are dressed for a blizzard in canada.
            Same here. You should have seen it when we actually had that odd white flaky substance not only appear in the AIR, but fail to melt before it hit the ground, this past XMASsy-time. The whole damn town just shut down, it was kinda creepy >_> The problem is, now that's got people freaked for the current time...legend has it that snow in NOLA means nasty hurricane season the following summer. Which would be where we are *now*. Yes, there was snohh (tho I don't think it ever made it to the ground) the year before the big K, as I recall.

We do have a word for what normally passes for winter here, tho... February ^_^ Pity we don't really have Fall, tho, all of the non-evergreens just go straight from green to dead, no purdy ernge or red or yellah leaves ta gawk at ~_~

An expatriate Japanese teacher back in college remarked on that phenomenon...She prefaced her lesson about the seasons by saying that "We actually had FOUR of them in Japan! Every year!".
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Pity we don't really have Fall, tho, all of the non-evergreens just go straight from green to dead, no purdy ernge or red or yellah leaves ta gawk at ~_~
              It's getting so that our evergreens, aka cedar, are more brown than green

It's really bad to be upset that the cedar is dying! Now if we can just kill off all the ragweed. permanently!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                And then gads of people return the ACs at the end of summer and before the 90 day return window is up. I really wish seasonal items had a 14-day return policy like electronics.
                I've had even worse (not moneywise, but returnwise), when on some Thursday it'd been forcasted that there'd be a very rainy weekend that should let up on Monday, I've literally had people buy umbrellas just before the weekend and then return them the following Monday.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  It's getting so that our evergreens, aka cedar, are more brown than green

It's really bad to be upset that the cedar is dying! Now if we can just kill off all the ragweed. permanently!
                  Think you can choke the ragweed out with Mother-in-Law's Tongue? I've only know one person who successfully killed that, and it took an entire winter of deliberate effort! My mother's survived the fire, the fire hose, being uprooted and tossed on the trailer porch while the house was repaired, and it still came back!
                  Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                  X