This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are NOT your personal shoppers plus closing mini rant

Look, we know you're probably have a hundred other things that needs to be gotten for classes whether that be paint, drawing pencils, and drawing paper. We will not, however, be your personal shoppers for said supplies, no matter how slow we are -- SPECIALLY if it's a two-page letter that you faxed to us. We often can not and will not do that for you, considering you won't be in until hell knows when to pick it up. That's a big LP issue right there.

Also, to the people who come in five minutes before we close, yes we WILL tell you that you have five minutes to do thirty minutes worth of shopping to do. No we will NOT keep the store open for you or anyone else, if you want to get your stuff please come earlier in the day. Can't get out of work/away from family earlier? Too bad, you've got six days a week that we're open for twelve hours and one day that we're open for ten hours to do your shopping in. If you can't do that, go to Wally World, most of them are 24 hour stores.

We don't want you to hold up two employees for ten minutes while you try to find clearanced boxes that look alike, you came in three minutes before we closed and had to do fifteen minutes worth of shopping because, for some reason, didn't come in sooner. We don't care about what you need the boxes for, get OUT!

We tell people to get out at closing not only because we want to go home or because we still have two carts full of returns to put away, but for our own safety. We don't know if anyone still in the store is toting a gun or something and is waiting for the store to close to do something nasty. Get out and go home, please.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Closing time from the other side...

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
    Also, to the people who come in five minutes before we close, yes we WILL tell you that you have five minutes to do thirty minutes worth of shopping to do. No we will NOT keep the store open for you or anyone else...
    I hear you. Many, many years ago, during Christmas rush, on the last day that the bookstore was open, at one tick before closing, I got in. The desk clerks told me that they were closing, and I told them that I needed one book, knew exactly where it was, and proceeded to get it and go straight to the register and pay cash, as well as to profusely thank the people there for letting me do this.

It wasn't until some time later that I realized that I might have been the exception rather than the rule for customers who show up at that time.
    Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Recent sighting at my irkplace (no, I didn't typo ), a supermarket:

Customer comes in 1/2 hr before close, for her bi-weekly shopping trip. 10 minutes after closing, she finally makes it to the checkout... with two shopping carts full of products. After most of the employees have gone home for the night (being primarily high school aged, child labor laws come into play), with all of one cashier available. Fortunately, I wasn't the one tasked with bagging that (though at a previous supermarket job I was a bagger... which is why my user title here does not read "bagger" ).

The store manager was.

Yes, manager of the entire store. Not one of the other managers, The Manager.

Mind you, it still sucked for that poor cashier, but that was probably the first time I've ever seen that manager do anything besides chat up customers.

(How do I know about the timing? I work 3rd shift, after the store is closed to the public. Much easier stocking shelves when there's no customers, sucky or otherwise, to work around. )
      No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Back in my grocery stores days, the managers would bag for us if it got really busy.

Comment

Working...
        X