Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...Okay, that's a new one (from a friend)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...Okay, that's a new one (from a friend)

A good friend of mine is a server at a place that rhymes with 'Smed Schmobin'. She reported this interesting story to me. An customer was trying to order a smoothie, and this exchange happened.

SC: Can you make sure it doesn't have vanilla in it?
    Friend: *a particular flavor he wanted* has vanilla.
    SC: I can't have vanilla. It's against my religion.
    Friend: O_O Um...okay.
    So the SC gets his smoothie (without vanilla in it), and then...
    SC: This has ice in it!!
    Friend: ...It's a smoothie.
    SC: I wanted a shake!
    Friend: Those have ice too. Do you want me to replace this?
    SC: No, I don't want it to go to waste.

Has ANYONE ever heard of a religion that didn't allow vanilla? I've heard of being allergic, but I'm betting the guy just didn't like vanilla.
    "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

This is just a wild guess, but maybe his religion did not allow alchohol, which is a major component of vanilla extract.

SirWired

Comment

The Shakers?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I'm going with SirWired on this one. My best guess would be they are a devout Muslim that is keeping halal. I grabbed this from an article on the Dartmouth College website concerning the new dining facilities (Of course, it's an article from the Interwebs. Take it's accuracy for what you will...)

Muslims are not required to separate dairy and meat, but are disallowed from using alcohol in any form. Even commonly used extracts such as vanilla are not allowed.
        I'll have to verify this with my co-worker who also keeps halal.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Some muslim countries have banned certain flavors of Doritos for this reason.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
            Some muslim countries have banned certain flavors of Doritos for this reason.
            Wait...Doritos use vanilla extract?

Comment

He was probably into BDSM. "Vanilla" is against that "religion".
              I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth Fox One View Post
                Wait...Doritos use vanilla extract?
                If ye really want to blow your mind check out which crisps (potato chips) are vegatarian and which aren't.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  My best guess would be they are a devout Muslim that is keeping halal.
                  actually my first guess would be Mormon.....
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                    My best guess would be they are a devout Muslim that is keeping halal.
                    We used to get this a bit at the pizza shop. A lot of the chicken and beef dishes that we did had wine or other alcohol based liquids added. Some of the customers would always ask that we leave that ingredient out when we made their meal. They were always quite polite about it and we'd do it where we could or steer them to other meals that were ok.

More amusing were the people who would refuse ham for religious reasons but were happy to have cabanossi or salami even after we pointed out that they contained pork products as well.
                    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Ahhh. I'll have to let my friend know about this--we were wondering fi there was any religion that really had a problem with vanilla.
                      "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                        This is just a wild guess, but maybe his religion did not allow alchohol, which is a major component of vanilla extract.

SirWired

wow. what an amazing answer. I never would have thought of that.

Comment

Most Muslims I know drink alcohol...

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                            We used to get this a bit at the pizza shop. A lot of the chicken and beef dishes that we did had wine or other alcohol based liquids added. Some of the customers would always ask that we leave that ingredient out when we made their meal. They were always quite polite about it and we'd do it where we could or steer them to other meals that were ok.

More amusing were the people who would refuse ham for religious reasons but were happy to have cabanossi or salami even after we pointed out that they contained pork products as well.
                            I once was asked by a lady who said they were keeping kosher and wanted to know where the turkey bacon was. I tell them. In their cart was a package of sausage and ham steaks.

Comment

actually my first guess would be Mormon.....
                              As an active, practicing Mormon, ummm no. We can use extracts in cooking and even eat chocolate. The guy was a dingbat, plain and simple.
                              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X