This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But you didn't ASK"/ Free $5 gift card

Our store has membership cards that earn points.

There are signs posted at each register that say something along the lines of "Free $5 gift card if the cashier doesn't ask to scan your membership card"

Yesterday:

Lady rushes up to the register with her membership card already outstretched and it is immediately scanned, even before her items hit the counter.

The cashier asks all the other remaining, relevant questions.

Then the lady stops and points to the sign and says that the cashier didn't ask to scan her card.

To which the cashier, thinking the woman merely forgot that it had in fact been scanned, attempted to refresh her memory.

And the lady smugly replied, that yes it had been scanned, but the cashier hadn't ASKED to scan it.

WOEIRAEOIHRAORHERJHAKERHAKER mutha-trucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course management ran and got her her free $5 gift card because they're "not going to argue with a guest over $5"

Seriously? You can't get much more scammer than that.

What should our cashier have done? Looked at the outstretched card and said "Mother may I?"!!!??!!

Ugh...technically she's right though. It's bad when a customer is sucky, but it's worse when they're sucky and right. You should change the wording on the sign.

Comment

And of course management ran and got her her free $5 gift card because they're "not going to argue with a guest over $5"
      What the FUCK?

Okay, its one thing to try to scam by acting like you were shortchanged, or need to return something... At least there's a little honor. But that's just... That's just offensive. I am offended. I am severely offended.
      Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        Ugh...technically she's right though. It's bad when a customer is sucky, but it's worse when they're sucky and right. You should change the wording on the sign.
        I agree the wording should be changed, but its straight from corporate so it's not likely.

But i TOTALLY disagree that she was "right". She knew what it meant. We've had a few other scams of that nature. I wasn't there, so for all i know it's the same few people.

For example: same deal, free $5 gift card if we don't offer to open a store credit card for you. We've had people send up their CHILDREN to pay, ignoring us if we address them directly, forcing us to talk to the kids. Since we're not allowed to ask CHILDREN things like their phone number, and since CHILDREN cannot open CREDIT CARDS, we had a cashier not ask the kid to open one and the mother (listening in the whole time) swooped in for her free money!
        Last edited by jjllbb; 08-04-2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
          I agree the wording should be changed, but its straight from corporate so it's not likely.

But i TOTALLY disagree that she was "right". She knew what it meant. We've had a few other scams of that nature. I wasn't there, so for all i know it's the same few people.

For example: same deal, free $5 gift card if we don't offer to open a store credit card for you. We've had people send up their CHILDREN to pay, ignoring us if we address them directly, forcing us to talk to the kids. Since we're not allowed to ask CHILDREN things like their phone number, and since CHILDREN cannot open CREDIT CARDS, we had a cashier not ask the kid to open one and the mother (listening in the whole time) swooped in for her free money!
          There's the spirit of the law and then there's the letter of the law. The letter of the law is really what matters. You should just ask, no matter what. Even if a 5-year-old is paying, just say the words "Can I swipe your member's card?" The answer will be: "But I don't hass a membah's cawd." You'll look stupid, but you'll have fulfilled the conditions your agreement.

Really there shouldn't be a policy in the first place. The management should just be able to tell the cashiers to ask to swipe the member's card, leaving it to their discretion as to when it is inappropriate to ask or not (like if the customer hands the card over silently or if it's a child)

Comment

Same thing as when some stores say the customer will get a free $5.00 if the cashier doesn't thank them and ask them to come again. WTF?? An exit greeting is certainly a nice gesture, and I dare think cashiers should be polite. But such a policy is just inviting the suck.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You should just ask, no matter what. Even if a 5-year-old is paying, just say the words "Can I swipe your member's card?" The answer will be: "But I don't hass a membah's cawd.
              But what would you suggest for the situation described?

When they hand you their card to swipe before they're really even at the register. Before they set their things down. Before you can even open your mouth?

Even with their membership card in your hand (like in the story i wrote above) are we supposed to say "may i swipe your membership card?" even though in handing the card to the cashier that is clearly the customer's intent?

(And yep, we're doing it to kids too now. Because now we have to cover all of our crazy-bases)

Besides, now that we're currently in the habit of asking CHILDREN to open credit cards and (i guess in the future) asking people to scan cards we've already got in our hands, the only reason we have to do this is because people will try to legal-ease their way into some free money when they know it's dishonest of them. We shouldn't have to do these things. I loved the way hyena-dandy put it: NO HONOR.
              Last edited by jjllbb; 08-04-2009, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Try: Would you like me to swipe your membership card, or do you want me to use it to wipe my a**? That should make things go smoothly lol.

Seriously though, just preface it by saying: "Sorry, I must specifically ask you before doing this, but may I swipe your member's card?"

Comment

Seriously though, just preface it by saying: "Sorry, I must specifically ask you before doing this, but may I swipe your member's card?"
                  I wouldn't. You know they're a scammer, so it's simple. Look at the card, look at them. Then, while looking straight at his or her face, ask "May I have your member's card to swipe?"
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
                    Ugh, these people are sad. "Kayitlynne, does your mommy want a credit card to pay for everything she is buying here?" might be your only option. Mom wants kid to act as a messenger in order to scam you, so use the kid as a messenger.

Comment

This reminds me of a recent trip to Mexico. After a long day of shopping my family and I stopped at an ice cream store on the way back to our car. I paid in cash with Mexican pesos. I wasn't even thinking of a receipt, and I didn't actually care because it was cash, so as soon as I got my change I turned to walk away. The girl behind the counter sort of yelped out that I forgot my receipt. She looked so nervous, poor dear. I took it because she looked scared. I had no idea why until my aunt pointed out that there's a sign behind the register saying you get your ice cream free if you don't get a receipt! I hadn't even seen it, nor would I ever have asked for something free over something so petty. Obviously this poor girl had been down the receipt road before and was scared that it could happen again. I don't even want to know what happened to make her so scared.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                        Ugh, these people are sad. "Kayitlynne, does your mommy want a credit card to pay for everything she is buying here?" might be your only option. Mom wants kid to act as a messenger in order to scam you, so use the kid as a messenger.
                        That would be freaking brilliant pwnage. Ha! You WIN.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I can just see the following happen.

SC: *holding card out*
                          Cashier: Do you want me to scan you card?
                          SC: Yes! That's why I gave it to you!!!!!!!!! Then from that point on they will figure you are impenitent and not believe what you say and ask for the manager. OR
                          SC: Yes! Followed by muttering to them selves/others in line how the cashiers are stupid.

The signs need to be changed to say "If we don't scan you cars you get a free $5 GC*.

*Customer must have a valid card in their name. If Customer hands card to cashier before end of greeting which consists of "welcome to XYZ ..... May I scan you store card?" no GC will be awarded"

Actually better yet, get rid of the whole program.

Comment

I have to say I agree with this. It's incredibly stupid but the sign says the customer gets the gift card if you don't ask for their membership card, so you have to honor it, lest the scammers complain to corporate or try to drag the BBB, the state pricing authorities or the law into it.

I think those "we'll give you free stuff if we don't do something!" deals are crap anyway. At Walgreens they're supposed to give you a free $5 if they don't give you your receipt. A person good at sleight of hand could find some way to conceal their receipt, claim the cashier didn't give it, and presumably walk away $5 richer since it's easier to cave.

I'd also like to say my company, in its never-ending quest to get its loyalty card into every purse, wallet and pocket in town, hasn't resorted to something like this, and I hope they're not watching this board and getting any ideas.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Cashier should have just asked "And would you like me to run your membership card?" Bet that would have made her mad. lol
                              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X