This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Box Man Cometh

There's this guy who seems to be after our boxes. And we've been saving them for him.

I went for years thinking we were not to save boxes for anybody, thanks to the dipshit who flipped his shit when somebody accidentally threw away his saved boxes and screamed at the store manager. Store manager himself has said don't save boxes. But another manager told us to go ahead and save boxes for this guy.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. In other words, situation normal at the clearance swamp.

Anyhow, when this guy calls us up, he always asks to speak to my supervisor, and greets her with a hearty "Hi, supervisor! This is the box man!" The first time Box Man came by, he wanted large boxes. And then somebody had to drag them out to Box Man's Cadillac and try to stuff them in there while his yappy, over-protected barking pillow of a dog nipped at his hands. Then the next time he wanted small boxes, and again somebody had to personally deliver them to his vehicle.

He called us up again today, when we were behind on the truck and running our asses off. Supervisor took the call and asked him to call back later because we were so busy, and the phone she was talking to him on was konking. He waited all of about 30 seconds before trying again.

Anyhow, she told him off as nicely as could, telling him if he wanted boxes he'd have to come in and pick them up himself. So he got all passive-aggressive and said "Well gee, I never knew I was such a burden to you guys. I'll just go get boxes from Walmart and do all my shopping there."

So far as I know, this guy has spent the princely sum of $0 on items purchased from the clearance swamp. Seriously, we never see him buy anything when he's here. Huge loss we're taking in the sales department there.

Box people piss me off.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Box people piss me off.
    I'm with you on that one.

I don't know my manager's take on it actually, but i always turn the box people away.

We reuse a lot of our boxes and there is a process we follow to recycle the others and its just not worth it to have some loser box person scrounging around back there trying to take some.

They're like pigeons. If you do it once they'll just keep coming back!!

Comment

Watching enough Danny Phantom has given me great dread as to what these people will turn into after they've passed on...
      "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
        Watching enough Danny Phantom has given me great dread as to what these people will turn into after they've passed on...
        I completely was thinking the same thing. You beat me to it

Comment

We cut ours down and then send them to the baler. It's rare for us to actually have extra boxes. Take that stupid box people (the customers not you guys I love you guys )
          Out of retail!

Comment

The box people are forever trying to take our repack/overstock boxes. And then get pissy when they can't have them. No, you get the ones that look like we're going to throw them away, not the ones that don't. Sorry.

(another who immediately thought of Danny Phantom. Sadly, my kids don't even really like that show much...but I do. So there.)
            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Oh, I had loads of these when I was in retail.

Not seen them for months, and then they come in and buy something innocuous. You know they're going to be asking for something free, and it was usually a box. Of course, it had to be of certain dimensions, and what do you mean it doesn't have a lid? Oh, this one is almost the right size (even brought a tape measure), but it needs to have a lid, and do you have one like this with a lid?

I got away with saying, "What you see is what we've got." Considering the main culprit for this had a business selling wedding cakes, this really wasn't our concern.

Rapscallion

Comment

We send ours straight to the baler. We've had one person try to walk out with $300 worth of groceries concealed in a box....
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                  We send ours straight to the baler. We've had one person try to walk out with $300 worth of groceries concealed in a box....
                  I have heard of tricks like that before, that's why we're careful with boxes at work.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Just yesterday, I asked our receiving manager if there were any extra boxes I could have. He said he'd stop recycling the extras for a couple days, and tomorrow, when I go back in, there should be a big ol' pile I can have. He's awesome. They'll be broken down though- really hard to conceal things in a box with no bottom! And I'll be sure to let the MOD know what I'm up to before I waltz out with them. Oh, and they're the perfect size- book boxes! 'Cause that's what most of our stuff is.

On a side note, moving sucks and is expensive. That is all.
                    Last edited by 4love; 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM. Reason: added size of boxes

Comment

When I worked in a produce department people loved getting the banana boxes for moving because they were waxed and very strong so long as you put a bottom in them. We never had a problem saving a few, but then again the people asking were never entittlement whores.

I liked turning the wooden crates that the beans came in into shelves!
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The last time I moved was awesome... I was still a closing cashier at Staples then, and I snagged every empty copy paper box they had for a week straight. They were all the same size and it made packing the truck SO much easier. Plus, LIDS!

But Mr. Joe Random that asked for boxes was SOL. lol

Comment

hmm... this is the reason why stores like Food Basics and Price Chopper and No Frills offer free boxes, okay - that's because they charge for bags - but still, discount grocers are a great source of boxes. Or your neighbour's recycling.
                          Otaku

Comment

I always ask for boxes. I use them quite a lot, and I don't buy enough large items to have enough just laying around. Is that a bad thing? I didn't think they seemed to mind.

Someone should start a business, stick it right in the middle of town, and do nothing but sell old, recycled cardboard boxes so people don't have to bother stores for them.

Comment

Quoth Ferreter View Post
                              Someone should start a business, stick it right in the middle of town, and do nothing but sell old, recycled cardboard boxes so people don't have to bother stores for them.
                              The problem with that is that, unlike the boxes from supermarkets/etc, you'd still have to pay money for them. Unless all the sources of free boxed decided to go all Box Nazi ("No! No box for you!"), there'd probably not be a lot of traffic at such a store.

(And, really, with the spinelessness that abounds in many managers, the odds of all those other stores saying "no" are pretty freaking low. As we all should know, yes SCs would threaten to shop elsewhere just because they couldn't get their grubby EW paws on free boxes.)
                              No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Working...
                              X