This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killin em with kindness

Ah, yes, the joy of the drive-thru green apron coffee shop. So, a touch of backstory to set up this scenario that happened today: I'm currently in hell week for a musical (The Fantasticks) and have worked 8 hours every day this week. So my legs ache, my right arm aches (I'm the Mute. heh), and my feet feel like they want to lead a rebellion against the rest of my legs since the past week I've done nothing but work, rehearsal, and what little sleep I'm afforded after I get out of the theatre. Normally all of these plus my...self-recognized semi-short temper would usually equal at the very least a seething sarcasm at this customer. What I did actually made me quite proud:

SC: Stupid customer who thinks I'm deaf
    Me: Your friendly neighborhood barista...today
    J: Awesome shift supervisor.

J: <Opening spiel>
    SC: Yea, I want a iced short latte with nonfat, extra ice, splenda. (My grandma, what wonderful grammer you have. The better to make my ears bleed with...)
    J: I'm sorry, we don't have the short size iced, the smallest in iced we have is tall.
    SC: Okay then, I want that tall, but with extra extra ice in a grande cup.
    J: Okay, anything else?
    SC: No.
    J: (after waiting a couple of seconds for a "thank you" from her that never came).....Ok. That is $xx.xx at the window. Thank you!

And so SC drives up, unfortunately for her and her lack of planning on her way to work there's someone ahead of her who's drink takes all of a whopping 1 minute over the usual time of 3 minutes to get her out.

SC: Why did it take so long to make one drink!?
    Me: (for some reason unusually relaxed and calm) Oh, it had to be remade. $xx.xx.
    So, I take her card and run it, it takes all of 30 seconds for our computer to make sure she actually has money, apparently our SC didn't have NEARLY that much time to wait
    Me: Ok, would you like a receipt?
    SC: No! I want to get out of here! I'm in a hurry!
    Me: (thinking: oh well...dum dum dummmm dum dummm doot doo dooo doot...) Alright, here's your drink.

I then hand it out to her, and I had already seen this part coming:

SC: This isn't what I ordered!
    Me: (smiling all the while) Yes it is. You ordered an iced, tall, nonfat, one splenda, extra ice, in a grande cup latte. That's what that is.
    SC: No! I ordered a small with grande ice!
    Me: So did you want a tall as well as a grande cup with ice?
    SC: NO! This is the wrong size! It's too small!
    Me: No, this is exactly what you ordered.

I walk the couple of steps to pick up a couple empty cups, one tall and a grande to compare the sizes

Me: You see, this is a tall, this is a grande. You ordered a tall size in a grande so you could have extra ice.
    SC: Well then, this isn't a grande!

So, I hold up the grande cup to the cup IN HER HAND and lo and behold, they are the same size. I'm holding in giggles at this point.

SC: Well....I wanted a short! She said I was getting a sho...
    Me: No she didn't. She told you the smallest size we had in iced was a tall. (You will NOT try to throw my co-worker under the bus because you're reaching for straws. Also, that was not said in a short or snippy way, but merely as an almost happy matter-of-fact kind of way. The kind of way that only lightly says "I heard that order and you're not getting away with anything while MorningChaser is on window! Haha!").
    SC: Well....well....I want 2 raw sugars!
    Me: Okay.

Smiling all the while I give her her sugars and a stir stick. She takes the sugars, throws the stick back at me and drives off. I make sure to lean out the window, wave, and say "Have a nice day".

Normally I would've been pissed as hell, probably copped an attitude with her, but it was almost one of those rare zen moments where my soul just knew that killing her with kindness would not only make me feel better, but piss her off to the point where it would be HI-freaking-LARIOUS. Ahh...good times. Also, if she was truly in such a hurry, why did she feel she had the time to sit at the window for at least 5 minutes to spar with me at the window? Haha, the eternal paradox that is SC.
    "Some wounds grow worse beneath the surgeon's hand; better that they were not touched at all."

I'm surprised she didn't pull the "I always get it short" or "They always only charge me for a short" card to try and scam a cheaper price.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

I don't get it. When I'm at my local green apron coffee house the clerks are always super nice and if I wait for a couple of minutes I get coffee. Where does that make me want to be an asshole with the people??
      http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
      Melody Gardot

Comment

Excactly. You give me coffee, me love you I'm in a hurry? Well that's my own damn fault, isn't it?

You did good, Morningchaser *pats head*
        Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
        Me:

Comment

And THAT would be why that woman needs her coffee. Gah! Even I'M not that bad before the first cup!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Ah yes, killing them with kindness. While rarely as satisfying as killing them with say, a blunt object or powertool, it's generally more legal, depending on your area.
            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

What?! Killing people with blunt objects isn't legal!? Oh carp....if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have to see a man about...*scrams*
              "Some wounds grow worse beneath the surgeon's hand; better that they were not touched at all."

Comment

That was sweet. Oh, so sweet. The way they sputter fills me with joy...

Comment

What?! Killing people with blunt objects isn't legal!?
                  I know I've been writing my congessmen about this for years and they still refuse to do anything about it.

Comment

They never have time to wait but they always have time to argue..
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Morningchaser, I swear I just saw a flyer for your show. I can't quite remember the details though. Could you PM them to me?

I may have seen it at the fabric store now that I think about it.

Comment

She would have gotten spit and decaf out of me, but I'm not a nice person anymore. (Used to be, but not being 16-working-your-first-min-wage-job does that to you.)

I do not think I would have been able to do that. I applaud you! You are a shining beacon of fury in that woman's tiny, rage-filled world.

And break a leg!
                        "Next time, Sir Twatwaffle of Assville, you should mind your own business." - Lupo

Comment

Quoth Morningchaser View Post
                          What?! Killing people with blunt objects isn't legal!? Oh carp....if you gentlemen will excuse me, I have to see a man about...*scrams*
                          Y'know, in the province of B.C., it is not legal to kill someone for being stupid, no matter how drunk they are.

I need to move.
                          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X