This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is why we take your credit card

Alright so i have a few stories for you today.

Before I start, a little background. The job for this summer if hotel desk agent. This is a position I took on with great fear having read so many sucky customer stories from other people who work for hotels. However, excluding the next few stories I haven't really had any sucky customers. I have a few cursing out coworkers, an epic tale for "Morons in Management". But I'm not sure if I should post them now or leave them for the end of the summer so I can give the whole story in one go. What do you all think?

Anyway here you go.

Why we take your credit card
    So I was not present for this event, but I got to catch the end of it. Plus, since I'm doing the Audit tonight, I had to go and settle the account.

Anyway, a woman arrived earlier today with a black lab asking for a room for the night. Since we are one of the few hotels that allow pets, we rented her a room. So she keeps coming to the desk complaining that we don't have a restaurant, we don't have ice(actually ma'am it's in that freezer right next to me), we don't have a lounge, she can't find her remote, etc.

Now most of us, including little me who's on been hear a few weeks, are used to this type of attitude. The typical end result is that the guest leaves, and we just do an early checkout without the charging them for the night. However, this guest did it a little differently.

After telling the previous desk staffer that she won't be staying, she returns to her room to, we assume, get her luggage and she leaves. Now since she had a dog, we had to check the room to make sure it didn't smell. If it did, we wouldn't be able to rent the room out for the rest of the night, and we'd have to charge a cleaning fee to her card to cover the dog smell.

Anyway, my CW goes into the room after the woman left to find that in the time she was "grabbing the luggage" the woman had taken a shower. Now people had been in an out of the room with her up until this point, and she hadn't touched or used anything.

So we called the owner and he told us to charge 20 dollars to her card. The reason, "She used the shower."

The wife
    So last night things got a little hectic near the end of my shift. A lot of people were arriving, and we have a lot of workmen staying here for the next week her a kind of rowdy. But I can deal with it. The most stressful thing for me last night was this one couple with their puppy who wanted wireless internet. For the most part they weren't SCs. They just checked in afternoon, and arrived back in the evening to find that they couldn't pick up the wireless in their room. We were having this problem a few days ago, but the reservation sheet said the problem was fixed so I didn't realize it was an issue until he came up to see me about an hour before I got off.

So anyway, he had bought a lovely Ocean View room, and wanted to keep the view, but also have wireless. So the husband would come, take the key to one of the open rooms, see if the wireless worked then come back and see me. I'd give him a new key and he'd try a new room. At the same time, a lot of people were checking in. It was late they wanted the cheapest rooms. So I'd put them in the drive up rooms close to the office. Which, of course, the router was.

Anyway, as I'm closing out my shift, and the my CW is taking reservations for other guests the wife comes inside.

SC= You were supposed to put my husband and I in a new room.
    Me= Yes, ma'am your husband....
    SC= *interrupting* I've been waiting an hour.
    Me= I'm very sorry. Your husband has looked at many rooms, but he hasn't been satisfied with the internet in any of them. So I can't give you a room, until he chooses one.
    SC= I don't see why I'm still waiting for a room.
    CW= You could come wait here in the lobby.
    SC= I can't I have the dog.
    Me= We don't mind.
    SC= No, I won't. I'm with the dog. Why haven't you given us a room?

This continued until her husband showed up and she yelled at him. I'm not sure how it ended, because I closed my shift just as the husband arrived and went home for bed.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Welcome fellow hotel veteran!

Good stories, keep em coming.
    AS for the the woman who used the shower, my bet is she was just trying to scam a free room. I would have charged her full price.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
      Anyway, my CW goes into the room after the woman left to find that in the time she was "grabbing the luggage" the woman had taken a shower. Now people had been in an out of the room with her up until this point, and she hadn't touched or used anything.

So we called the owner and he told us to charge 20 dollars to her card. The reason, "She used the shower."
      Wait, why was it bad she used the shower? I don't get it
      Last edited by Dips; 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM. Reason: Please trim quotes
      http://www.pirikapirilala.tk

Check out my blog today!

Comment

Quoth octopi23 View Post
        Wait, why was it bad she used the shower? I don't get it
        From what I understand, if she hadn't used anything in the room, it could be put back on the market and rented that night. Because she used the shower, she essentially "Stayed in the room" or used it. It can't be re-rented, and has to be cleaned by housekeeping before it can be. Thus, she was using a room and trying to get away without paying for it.

At least that's my take on it.

Comment

Lupo indeed has it right.

The woman decided not to stay with us, so we refunded her credit card for the room charge. But then she went and used the shower, effectively making the room unclean. I mean, how would you feel walking into a hotel room to find the bathroom messy with used towels all about?

Luckily, the owner's wife cleaned up the bathroom so we were able to rent it out later that night.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
          X