This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got that hurty feeling in my brain again

Gee, why is that? Oh wait, now I remember. I came to work today.

No help for Irvy

Got called to deliver an LCD TV to a customer. It turned out this TV was locked up in the electronics cage, so I had to waltz on over to electronics to get their key.

As I was doing this, another carryout got paged. I noticed Numbknockers working down one of the aisles so I asked her if she'd be able to help me. I didn't get an answer.

I got the cage key, went into the cage to retrieve the TV, returned the key so I wouldn't set off the EAS alarms (EAS hard tag attached to the key to prevent theft), and headed out. I had to spend a little time playing Car Tetris to get the damn thing loaded up for the customer.

Came back inside to find Numbknockers never got the other carryout. The service desk people had been trying to find me the entire time.

Geez, make her an honorary manager and she thinks she doesn't have to do any dirty work. Oops, that's situation normal for her anyway.

How does this even happen?

Got called to take out a dresser from one of our big bedroom sets that has gone on clearance. But we're sitting on quite a few pieces from these clearance sets as the new ones are coming in. You can imagine the space crunch we've got going on in the backroom. But I digress...

Bring it up to the customer who tells me "That's the wrong one." I show him the pull tag which matches up with the item I brought up. He explains he thought he was getting a 5-drawer chest instead of a 6-drawer dresser.

We do not have the 5-drawer dresser for this set anymore. No boxed ones, no display, nothing. And this is at least the third time somebody has grabbed the tag for the dresser and assumed they would be getting the chest, which is nowhere to be seen out on the furniture pad.

I tell you, they aren't making them any smarter.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul

And then later I noticed one of the service desk people over in grocery, shopping basket on her arm. She loaded it up with theater boxes of candy, taken off the shelf, to go up by the checkouts. She wiped out two different SKUs doing this.

This wouldn't be sucky were it not for a pesky measure of store competence known as "98% ad instock." Put most simply, it means 98% of all the products on sale at a given time must be on the floor for customers to buy. Corporate has this more or less written in stone and check up on it every visit.

Here's the catch: For an item to count as being "in stock," it must be in its planogrammed spot on the sales floor. If it isn't there, but it's on an endstand or a fastrack, in a speed table, or in the backroom, it counts as an out.

The candy is planogrammed in grocery but not at the checkouts. It's also on sale. Thus corporate would consider it as being out if they checked it. We got busted badly on this a couple weeks ago. We had the seasonal area of the store chock full of school supplies, and several facings of these same items were empty in the normal School and Office section. Thus we failed on ad instock and the visiting dignitaries were not happy at all with us.

The reason for this is because people don't think to check endstands, fastracks, flex spaces, and so on for the stuff they want. If they don't see it on the same shelf they've always seen it on, they assume we're out and shop someplace else. I can see corporate's point here, but isn't making sales what it's ultimately all about? If an item is selling faster off an endcap than it is in its normal space, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the endcap full? Whoops, there I go making sense again!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Whoops, there I go making sense again!
    I recommend you stop doing that.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      I recommend you stop doing that.
      That's a habit I've been trying to break myself of too. I call it one of my fatal flaws.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        That's a habit I've been trying to break myself of too. I call it one of my fatal flaws.
        I know. I think it's the reason I never made it to management, personally.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Gee, why is that? Oh wait, now I remember. I came to work today.
          I find I make this mistake fairly often as well. I haven't learned better yet.

Comment

Making Sense? Pff, where would we be if everyone did that.

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-c...el-lawyers.gif
            http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
            Melody Gardot

Comment

I used to work for Red and Khaki, and I can tell you...there's no such thing as logical sales logic. In fact, I'm pretty sure Corporate has an _ANTI_ logic campaign going.

It's all about the numbers.
              People aren't numbers, right? Well, other than on their staffing quota...so suggestions to make things -work- get overlooked because, well, you don't know how to do it right! They've got the numbers, even if they've never stepped foot in a store...they must know better, right?

>_<
              I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

Comment

Quoth Raventhistle View Post
                It's all about the numbers.
                People aren't numbers, right? Well, other than on their staffing quota...so suggestions to make things -work- get overlooked because, well, you don't know how to do it right! They've got the numbers, even if they've never stepped foot in a store...they must know better, right?

>_<
                Ugh, this is probably the biggest peeve with upper management (district level and up) I have had at any of my previous jobs, and a contributing factor to why one of those previous jobs went Tango-Uniform. They either never had any experience at the peon level (that is, you get peed on by customers and management), or had it so long ago that it's ancient history to them, but assume that because they're the Big Kahunas, they know what's best for the company.

Any attempts to clue them in as to the conditions on the front lines get handwaved away, outright never make it to them in the first place because the store management (intermediate level, in other words) assumes you don't really know what you're doing (even after 2 years or so of doing it) or don't want to catch heat from district/corporate/etc and thus don't pass it on, or it's completely ignored even if it does make it to upper management circles.
                No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  people don't think to check endstands, fastracks, flex spaces, and so on for the stuff they want. If they don't see it on the same shelf they've always seen it on, they assume we're out ....If an item is selling faster off an endcap than it is in its normal space, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the endcap full?
                  Not contradicting here Irv, just honestly confused. Wouldn't an empty planogram spot mean the item is selling faster/better from there than from an endcap?

If I don't see a sale item, or I see a gaping hole where the sale item should be, I usually check the other special locations (local grocer does this with cereal a LOT.) They are often full. I would think that the sensible thing to do would be to move a portion of the special location items back to where people are obviously selecting from.

Off topic: Your Deadspin quote led me to (hur dur) Deadspin. Thanks! Despite being a bball fan for umpity years, I'd never read it. Good site.

Comment

I share your frustration with store level managers who believe their position entitles them to do as little "Grunt work" as possible. I know managers have slightly more responsibility than the average joe, but that shouldn't excuse them from helping out as much as possible when they're available to.

Also, that 98% policy is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      Not contradicting here Irv, just honestly confused. Wouldn't an empty planogram spot mean the item is selling faster/better from there than from an endcap?

If I don't see a sale item, or I see a gaping hole where the sale item should be, I usually check the other special locations (local grocer does this with cereal a LOT.) They are often full. I would think that the sensible thing to do would be to move a portion of the special location items back to where people are obviously selecting from.
                      Well yeah. The thing is, people pull school supplies from the backroom, and fill it in seasonal because it's right next to the backroom doors. They don't know they have to get some up front in school and office, and we have signs in school and office directing people to seasonal for more school supplies anyway.

As for moving stuff back and forth, we don't have the payroll to be watching stuff so vigilantly.

There are times where things will sell much faster on an endstand than in the basic home, Black Friday being the best example. In that instance I will take stuff out of the planogrammed spot to put it on a display someplace else. But the suits aren't crazy enough to check up on our ad instocks that day--yet.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                      X