This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much suck over one penny.

I was on express today. Some haggard looking gentleman in his 50s comes through my line. I say "Hi." No response. He had a grumpy look on his face the entire time I was ringing him out. I give him his change and start ringing out the next person. He hangs out by the register studying his receipt, looking for some material to play the "What can I b**ch about today?" game.

Unfortunately for me, he finds something (and everyone who plays this game always finds something, and if they don't find something, they make up something.) As I'm ringing out the next person he sticks his hand out over the scanner with his change. I say, "Is there a problem?" No response. I'm completely bewildered for a couple seconds, then I realize: "Oh, that's 23 cents, I owe you a penny? [I remember that his change was supposed to be 24 cents]"

SC: [snarling in the most diabolical voice I have ever heard] Yes! I don't have time for this nonsense!

ME: [yes, with a bit of a tone] OKKk sir it's just one penny I'll get it for you in a second.

SC: Don't be playing games with me now!

I finish ringing the customer; my drawer opens; and I give him the penny.

ME: Here you go. Goodbye.

He leaves...but geez I was so shaken up! He was intimidating, nasty, and creepy. And over a penny! Get a grip man!

Another cents-less complaint.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

They always complain, but it's complete non-cents to me. What if the next person had paid with credit? Would you have had to cent him over somewhere else? Maybe he should've tried being nicer about it, for a change.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        SC: Don't be playing games with me now!
        No. Games usually cost about 50 cents - $1.00.
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

OK, OK, I guess I'll put my in, too.

I'm disappointed that nobody else thought to use that blasted emoticon yet ^_^

And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he does that crap EVERYWHERE he goes...
          Last edited by EricKei; 08-13-2009, 11:40 PM. Reason: mmmmmm, donuuuuts
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he does that crap EVERYWHERE he goes...
            At least he's not being nickeled and dimed.

Comment

he would probably enjoy that

Comment

I give no quarter to people who try this kind of nonsense with me.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  I give no quarter to people who try this kind of nonsense with me.
                  So you don't give a bit, let alone two?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Did the jerkweed look on the floor? My guess is he either dropped the penny or pocketed it, just to be an asshole.

Why do some people expend so much effort JUST to be an asshole?
                    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                    --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
                      "Asshole" is the only personality trait some of them have...
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        So you don't give a bit, let alone two?
                        To do so would cause me to have to cast off my shekels of sanity...
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I guess this guy had no cents at all to get worked up over something so trivial.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post

Because they're trying to buck the system.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Because it was only one cent, not two. Duh!

I'm sorry, I would have made him use his words. I'd have kept looking at his hand until he actually said out loud what he wanted. You're not five, don't act like it.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X