This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why parents drive me insane

I work in a little computer store. Now, we have various computers in varying states of repair all over the place. And I am constantly amazed that parents bring small children into the store and, even worse, don't keep a tight leash on them. There are all sorts of things here that can burn, freeze, cut, slice, stab, crush, electrocute and puree' - and that's just the employees.

Anyway, whenever someone brings their kids in, I'm constantly having to watch them like a hawk because it seems like some parents simply can't be bothered. I had to point out to one person that their precious was about to yank on a cord which would have caused a computer to fall off the table onto their head.

The way our shop used to be laid out, you could just walk in and walk straight to the back where the back workbench and a desk are for one of the technicians. More than a few times children would just wander back there, in the dark, where they could easily get injured by an open computer or a tool on the bench (hot soldering iron, anyone?) or just take something if they weren't being watched closely.

We finally switched around the counters to prevent people from going back there, but even then I still see kids trying to walk behind the counters and half the time the parents aren't even paying attention.

Drives me batty. And I can't do my job properly because: a. I'm having to keep an eye on the kids instead of fixing something or b. I'm having to keep an eye on the kids when I'm trying to discuss something with a customer.

Sometimes I wish I was just another office worker again.

to !

I used to work in a small comp repair shop myself, but...sadly (?) we never had enough customers as to where that would have been a problem.

completely agreed that parents really should keep an eye on their little ones, especially where all the pretty little toys laying about can ZAP them so easily >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

See my son is only 3 (yes, i had a kid at 20, feel free to flame away but do so privately lol, im used to it)

When hes up here visiting me, and i take him to a store, i dont even have to hold his hand, he stays by my side and always asks either me, or usually a worker "Can i please touch it" to which hell listen to "yes but gently" "yes" or "no" and when told no i ALWAYS back them up and say "See Kaine, you dont touch that, ok?"

And he doesnt whine!!!!

I dunno, maybe im just an over attentive parent

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
        See my son is only 3 (yes, i had a kid at 20, feel free to flame away but do so privately lol, im used to it)

When hes up here visiting me, and i take him to a store, i dont even have to hold his hand, he stays by my side and always asks either me, or usually a worker "Can i please touch it" to which hell listen to "yes but gently" "yes" or "no" and when told no i ALWAYS back them up and say "See Kaine, you dont touch that, ok?"

And he doesnt whine!!!!

Whatever you're doing, it's working.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
          Personally, I don't see why that would be flame-worthy. I know lots of people that had children when they were that age.

Your story reminded me of a friend and his daughter. One day they were shopping and he took her into an electronics store with lots of lights and shiny things and expensive breakable stuff. Right when they set foot in the store, he tells her "You're allowed to LOOK but not TOUCH, okay?" "Okay."

So he's talking to the clerk about a cell phone and she wanders away, looking at the merchandise...

During the middle of their conversation, without even looking up, my friend says (in a stern voice) "Put it back." The clerk looked around and saw that she was just starting to take a box off of a shelf... around a corner that my friend could not POSSIBLY have seen from where he was standing.

The clerk asked him how he knew, and my friend said "It's been about five minutes, and she was too quiet."

She stood at his side for the rest of the visit, then they went for ice cream (I think).
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            During the middle of their conversation, without even looking up, my friend says (in a stern voice) "Put it back." The clerk looked around and saw that she was just starting to take a box off of a shelf... around a corner that my friend could not POSSIBLY have seen from where he was standing.

The clerk asked him how he knew, and my friend said "It's been about five minutes, and she was too quiet."
            Parent Win!!!

My mom used to tell us to put our hands in our pockets and not take them out until we left the store. And we did, too, because we knew the consequences of disobedience.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
              We don't tend to do that sort of thing around here.

It's the "parents" who don't actually parent that get the flames, regardless of age.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post

And he doesnt whine!!!!

Nothing wrong with a kid at 20, if my second had survived pregnancy I would have had one at 20 also =)

I was raised to look but not touch, and not to go away from my mom or nanny's side.
                ~~~
                My favorite computer store [now closed ] had a corner that was boxed in and had toys and stuff for kids to amuse themselves with.

I always thought that made great sense. They had think geek goodies....we played in the corner when there were no kids around
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                  Had my first at 20 - wife was 19 - in 1972.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Had my first at 20 - wife was 19 - in 1972.
                    Wow, your kid is older than my brother (who is older than me)...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeah im just used to it lol, being a 23 yr old single fathjer isnt easy around here lol

Comment

No one is going to flame you for having a kid at *gasp* 20.

Where I come from, prime child-bearing age for females is middle school to early 20s, and we always "forget" about the males and their role.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

*sigh* I wish you folks would come into the store. Sounds like you're all attentive, non-SC parents.

I'm just starting to delve into the stories of SC's and assorted weirdness here. I'm sort of smack dab in the middle of an SC drama right now, but I need to get some work done before I take time to post about it. Maybe tomorrow, time permitting.

I need one of those "banging my head against the wall" GIFs, I think.

cheers

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            I used to work in a small comp repair shop myself, but...sadly (?) we never had enough customers as to where that would have been a problem.
                            Same here...of course, the Owner's Assistant more than made up for the chaos/damage/threat to a tech's safety that any wayward kids would cause
                            Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            without even looking up, my friend says (in a stern voice) "Put it back." The clerk looked around and saw that she was just starting to take a box off of a shelf... around a corner that my friend could not POSSIBLY have seen from where he was standing.

My dad was the same way. He started with me young enough so that the "I have eyes in the back of my head" threat actually worked by the time I was old enough (my innate curiosity was always there, until I could stand or walk I didn't have the means to make full use of it) to get into what could have been real trouble.
                            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

the kids that run around our store are unwatched as well. The parents usually say "You didn't stop my kid from doing xxxx?" We respond with: "We are not paid to be babysitters. Please watch YOUR OWN kid." We say it politely. Regardless of how polite we are on saying we don't babysit...the customers usually offer to call corporate to complain about us.

I am not paid to watch anyone's (customers') kid. Therefore I am NOT the babysitter.
                              NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Working...
                              X