This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want it where?

OK, so I'm now in the second week of my new job. I manage gas and electric accounts for the nonprofit sector (schools, councils etc.) in 6 counties, but they can also order their heating oil through us. We then ask where they want it, phone it through to the suppliers, and go about our merry day. Today, I got a gem:

Me: <Opening spiel>
    Customer: Yes, I'm calling to place an oil order. I'd like 2000 litres of kerosene
    Me: OK, can I take your account number
    Customer: It's PT00000
    Me: OK, and which tank do you need filling?
    Customer: Well, it's for the washing machine, but if there's any left, they can put it in the heating
    Me: Pardon?!?
    Customer: The washing machine, it's for the washing machine.

At this point, I look back through their previous orders, and it seems they're quite regular customers, and their order is almost always to the washing machine.

Me: Alright, I'll get that phoned through and send you an e-mail confirmation

The suppliers didn't even bat an eyelid when I phone it through. What I want to know is what in the heck kind of washing machine needs a thousand litres of kerosene a week?
    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Off hand? Maybe they're a boarding school, and they do a lot of laundry?
    The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Um... what sort of place was this?

I can see something like, say, a correctional facility going through a rather impressive amount of fuel to heat their washing water.

But, still, I can see how that would be a confusing order to take.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

They make washers that run on kerosene? I've only ever heard of electric ones.
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

A lot of older laundromats use kerosene for their dryers. Two of the ones in my hometown still do. My parents use kerosene in the house so I guess it stands to reason that it would be used in the dryer.

Comment

I have hookups for both in the basement where I'm at currently.

Comment

Dryers, sure, but washers?
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Yup. Even the washer

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                  They make washers that run on kerosene? I've only ever heard of electric ones.
                  You can buy washing machines and even refrigerators that run on liquid propane. Kerosene for an industrial washer isn't so surprising.
                  "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                  X