Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of that was poor customer service?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of that was poor customer service?

So today I got a call from a customer who had prepaid for a toll pass. The customer had bought the pass for travel today but for reasons unknown, was not able to travel. He would be able to travel the next Monday, and wanted to know whether the same pass would still be valid.

Of course it's not going to be valid - if you've bought the pass for a specific day then the pass is not going to cover you for any other day but that one. But since I don't get up in the morning thinking 'I'm going to spend the entire day denying the requests of hapless customers MWAHAHAHAHA!' I told the customer that, as a once off, I was perfectly willing to change the details on the pass.

My mistake however was to educate the customer concerning the toll company's policy concerning the purchase of passes. We get too many customers who pay for a pass and want to change the details constantly - usually when it's too late to do so. Customers don't understand that you can actually travel first and THEN pay - this way, no mistakes. So when I let him know I could change the details, I told him that next time he would need to be more careful when prepaying and that he may want to think about travelling and then paying.

Customer lost it - his theory was, if a pass was listed against his name, then it shouldn't matter WHEN the car travels, it should just note down that a payment was made and that should be enough. When I mentioned that it didn't work that way, he pulled out the old chestnut 'but *other company* CAN do it. YOU should do it for me!'

I simply mentioned that we weren't *other company* and that what he was suggesting was not possible; that company policy states: prepay and get the details right the first time, otherwise travel and then pay. At this point he goes mental and starts screaming about how I was LYING, that I COULD do it for him, but I was refusing to do so because I was hiding behind false POLICY, and that I was providing him with poor customer service!

I was definitely NOT standing for that - after all I had told him several times since the beginning of the call that I would change the details of the toll pass for him. I explained this to him once again - he seemed to finally get it but very grudgingly said 'you do understand, you in your call centre, that people make mistakes and I am only human?'

I very truthfully said that I understood that he may feel that way, but in all fairness, not only had I given him what he had asked for, I had let him know what to do in the future to avoid a situation like this again. He had the nerve to say, in perfect sarcastic tone 'and I am SO grateful. I compliment you on your great work.'

Well, when you're like that, my customer service ends there. After all, you are speaking to someone who is bilingual in english and sarcasm. So I said very sweetly, 'Thank you and have a great day!'

Seriously, I don't know why I try to do my job. Customers just don't care unless it directly affects them, and even then only when it costs them heaps of money. From now on they're on their own.

This situation, like so many others, is darned if you do and darned if you don't. Maybe nothing makes that guy happy. Or he just wanted to bitch anyway.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

You did him a favor and tried to help him avoid being the in the same situation again and the ungrateful prick acts like that?

When that happens to me I put a big fat note in their account that they don't react well to favors, so there's no point in doing any more for them.

'Cuz I'm a bitch like that.
      Last edited by Dips; 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

hey dips, you're only giving them their due.

sorry about the prickmeister; give them what they want and helpful advice to avoid said problem in the future and they still act like dog droppings.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

"Well, since you are so GRATEFUL, then maybe I don't need to change you pass. <CLICK>"
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth stargirl195 View Post
            'and I am SO grateful. I compliment you on your great work.'
            "Well thank you, and your gratitude is accepted in the spirit in which it was given."

Comment

When I mentioned that it didn't work that way, he pulled out the old chestnut 'but *other company* CAN do it. YOU should do it for me!'
              So why the hell aren't these people shopping at the other company that CAN do everything? Heaven knows we'd like them off our backs and somewhere else!

"Oh, look, it seems that I'm not actually able to make those changes that I said could help you. The system's blocking it. So, your pass is invalid forever. Go ahead and cuss me out- that will change things."

Then put the phone down and play GameBoy.
              Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

The words ONE TIME EXCEPTION are a very large part of my vocabulary when dealing with that type of customer. I tell them I can do what they are asking as a one time exception, but not to expect that favor again in the future because it will not happen. I also make notes indicating that the exception is not to be made again, because as we all know they will expect the same favor every time in the future.
                "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Our company's version of 'one time exception' is 'once-off, goodwill gesture'. Today I've said it so many times to so many people whom I'm pretty sure have heard it many times from other people but have conveniently forgotten along the way ...

The difference between me and the person at the next desk is that I take copious notes - I'll put things in capitals, then underline them, then save the interaction under a title that will leave the next person in no doubt that a refund or change in details will not be happening.

It doesn't stop the same customers from trying again, but I like to think I make a difference make my day and ask me for another refund!

Comment

'you do understand, you in your call centre, that people make mistakes and I am only human?'
                    Wow. I didn't know call centres had been outsourced to Venus.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Oh, silly you. You must have left out some puncuation! See, it wasn't "poor customer service" but rather you offered this "poor-customer, service." See, "poor" should be modifying "customer," not "service." Of course there are multiple definations of the word "poor," so there is still some room for interpretation, but we all know what you mean.
                      "Next time, Sir Twatwaffle of Assville, you should mind your own business." - Lupo

Comment

Working...
                      X