This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You shall not buy that Corona!

We had a random firetruck parade on Main St. outside my Aid of Rite today. I don't know why, but apparently someone decided to gather firetrucks from 20 of the local towns and parade them all down the middle of Main St., full sirens going and lights flashing. You could still clearly hear the sound even inside. It lasted 20 minutes and then that was it. *shrug* Kids got a major kick out of it, though.

Anywho.

Early (we're talking before 9 am folks) this morning, two guys come up to Coworker and slap down a case of Corona. Coworker asks for ID. One guy pulls out his perfect, laminated, "real" ID and the other guy pulls out his ID. Now, here, we issue temporary paper IDs that look like photocopies of the real thing while your one is being renewed. If you're not familiar with them they look completely fake and most people give out their old license with the new one. This guy's paper ID was completely destroyed. Whited out, bleached out, ink rubbed off. The only thing that was clear was the middle, which included part of the guy's picture, part of the license number, and part of the birthday-which included the month, day and year, and then 197-, the last digit was missing.

Naturally, coworker wanted to double check with manager before she sold them any beer, she had Other Guy's license in her hand (the perfect one) and paged manager several times. Finally, getting frustrated, other Guy whistled at her to return his ID and they left without their Corona.

Yeah. Paper ID that's half destroyed in a pretty convenient place? No beer.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Urg...I get people like this trying to sell back books. We ask for a VALID state ID. In TX, when you get your license renewed, you get the top part of your old one cut off and handed back as a picture ID, and a temp paper license to act as the valid one, to be shown with the picture one, until you get your replacement.

I've had people try to pass those off to get booze during my brief year as a waitress/gas station clerk too.

No beer from me, either.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
      Urg...I get people like this trying to sell back books. We ask for a VALID state ID. In TX, when you get your license renewed, you get the top part of your old one cut off and handed back as a picture ID, and a temp paper license to act as the valid one, to be shown with the picture one, until you get your replacement.
      That's changed since the year that I spent in El Paso. When I got my TX license, they kept my NM license, leaving me with no picture id. But they gladly sold me an ID card!

And have you noticed how many people don't seem to understand what the word "valid" means anymore?
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Huh...here in Jersey we just get our new ID...no temporary anything...they've actually streamlined the process pretty well in the last several years, too.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

When I'm checking handicap cards on vehicles, I always find some with the expiration date (year part) CONVENIENTLY broken-off or covered-up.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Huh...here in Jersey we just get our new ID...no temporary anything...they've actually streamlined the process pretty well in the last several years, too.
            New Mexico used to do it that way. Until our governor got the bright idea to outsource them.

I mean, the guy has done some good things, but when he has a bad idea they are really bone-headed.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

hey ralerin, tell your coworker that if s/he can't make out the license, then it's not valid. Saves the headache of trying to find a manager.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Moved to In. Got my state Id in about 15 minutes total. They took my Ma and handed me the IN. Made on the premises, Loved it!

Comment

I think I got my new one on premises, too (WI). Picture's still terrible; that never changes.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wait - if this happened today, and his birthdate read "197-" then it really doesn't make sense to say, sarcastically, that it's destroyed "in a pretty convenient place" since it means the guy is at least 29 years old.....

All the same, no verifiable form of ID = no beer is a pretty safe and smart policy.

Comment

FL IDs are made onsite . at least everywhere i got mine. (3 total)
                      WA is kinda sucky. took a few weeks.

Comment

Quoth slavetotheman View Post
                        Wait - if this happened today, and his birthdate read "197-" then it really doesn't make sense to say, sarcastically, that it's destroyed "in a pretty convenient place" since it means the guy is at least 29 years old.....

All the same, no verifiable form of ID = no beer is a pretty safe and smart policy.
                        That's my point. Even if the ID is 100% valid, if it's been half destroyed, it's not. The guy could be 39 or 35 or whatever...or he could secretly be 18 and photocopied someone's license. We only got half the picture, half the license number and half the birthdate, as I said. The half of the picture we could see looked a little like him if you sorta squinted, but the rest was just...gone.

There wasn't any sarcasm intended in the original post. Just that we only got half of everything seemed pretty shady.
                        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

We get ours right away in LA -- Katrina *ahem* forcibly closed some of the older DMV units, so they just consolidated them all and used the savings to get all-newfangled equipment -- the pictures still suck, though.

We sign a form that has our info on it, they send us to the photo booth, and 5 minutes later, they call us up to pay, giving us a card that has the digitized signature on it, having been shrunk down onto the license right next to the original picture. They hand back the old license if we ask for it, tho they deface it by taking a hole-punch to it -- meaning, valid for ID but not for driving.
                          Last edited by EricKei; 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM. Reason: removing redundancies via the redundant department of redundancy
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                            Moved to In. Got my state Id in about 15 minutes total. They took my Ma and handed me the IN. Made on the premises, Loved it!
                            That changes next year, with the driver's license anyway (not sure about the ID cards, but probably). With the new regulations, you'll have to have a certain number of documents proving who you are (and your old license doesn't count), then they'll issue you a temp, and then later mail the license to you after the paperwork has been verified.

My license exipres in 2012, so maybe I won't have to worry about it

Comment

Quoth DarkProwler View Post
                              With the new regulations, you'll have to have a certain number of documents proving who you are (and your old license doesn't count), then they'll issue you a temp, and then later mail the license to you after the paperwork has been verified.
                              Last year I had to get an Oregon license, after moving from Washington. Now, getting a new license is normal for me, I've had licenses from states all over the country. But this one was the biggest pain I've ever had. Evidently, the state decided not long before that they wanted to crack down on illegal aliens (no comments on whether this is a good or bad thing - my problem is only with how they're going about it). As a simple born in the US citizen, "all" I was told I would need would be - not only my old Washington license, but also two items from a narrow acceptable list of items to prove my address here in Oregon, plus my birth certificate (with state seal), and since my last name did not match my birth certificate, I would need my marriage license, and since at the time I was married I was using not my maiden name, but my ex-husband's (hadn't gone back cause it made life easier for my daughter and I to have the same name) I would also need my marriage license from my first husband, as well as the divorce papers!!

I mean, come on people, this is a driver's license, not an application for top secret clearance. Also, get this, once you get your license (which is meant not only to verify age, but also that you are legally in the country), when you have to do any future business with the DMV, you are supposed to bring not just the license they issued right there to prove you're legal, but also all the above papers again

I hate things that have no logic. Ok, I get why they're doing it ( once again, whether it's good or bad is not relevant). But if all that paperwork is meant to establish that your license means your in the country legally, why do you have to bring it all in again if you need to register a car, etc. etc. - they don't take their own verification as proof!

Ok, I even get that there could be cases where a person is here legally (green card, whatever) and get a license, then their validation to be in the country expires before their driver's license. So it would be logical to check not only their license but their credentials for being in the country periodically. But why not have a code for a born-here citizen, cause that AIN'T gonna change, for heaven's sake. If all that paperwork I had to take in proved I was born here, and documents name changes til now, none of that can possibly change until/if I ever change my name again. So verify it, check it, and then take your own verification in future, for heaven's sake.

Ok, sorry to thread jack, but had to vent. Do you realize how long it takes for the average person to actually fine original copies of all those items around their house, or obtain them from the proper government channels? Geez.

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X