This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise - a stupid scammer

I wasn't directly involved with this story, but had some involvement.

Snus Scammer

A SC walks into the gas station and looks at the price on the Snus (for those who don't know it's a Camel product) and he started complaining that $5.89 is too high. He got the same product in a small town 15 miles from here for $3.50, and demanded that we match the price.

The woman working the station at the time told him no. He kept demanding that we match the price, and saying that he'll take his "business" elsewhere if we don't. Since I was busy with customers at the restaurant portion of the store, she couldn't ask for my help, so she calls the woman who usually does the pricing on the snuff products. She tells the woman working the station that no we can't "match" the price quoted by him. He left and said that he'd take his business to x store where he got that "deal" in the first place, and left.

Not content she calls x store in the small town and finds something shocking from the night manager: the Snus is $5.89 there also. She also calls x store locations locally and finds out (shock) that it's also $5.89 there also.

Talk about shocking.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Tobacco products aren't getting cheaper anywhere since governments finally got it into their heads to start taxing that stuff.

No offense to the smoking members of my SC brothers and sisters and I don't intend to turn this into a Fratching debate.

Comment

Where I work our Camel Snus is $3.39 for a can of 15. But they are running a deal right now, a can of 13 costs...... $1.70.
      How can two more pouches cost $1.69 more?

Comment

Depends on the state/local taxes.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          Depends on the state/local taxes.
          Yeah I know that. But what I was talking about is the same state and store.

You can either buy a can of...
          15 pouches for $3.39 or
          13 pouches for $1.70.
          The price was set by the sales rep not my boss.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
            You can either buy a can of...
            15 pouches for $3.39 or
            13 pouches for $1.70.
            I was buying milk at the Quik Chek (or however they misspell it) the other day.

½ gallon: $2.59
            1 gallon: $2.79

Same question applies, doesn't it?

Comment

Simple - They wanna push one certain size, either as a way to get rid of it because they are planning not to sell that version anymore, or else as a way to get people used to a more profitable version (that is, more profitable once the sale ends) while they thin out supplies of the larger, probably less-profitable one. Either that, or they just made a ton and wanna run a special on them ^_^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It can also come down to the costs of the stuff they buy in.

Buy 1 it cost £1
                Buy 10, they are £0.90
                Buy 100 = £0.50 each.

So buy 100, rather than 50, and sell them buy one-get one free and you are laughing.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I got a fun deal recently. A 1kg bag of macaroni is somewhere around €1. But at the moment, 400g bags of the same macaroni are 25c.

You do the maths.

Comment

We only have one size of the Snus, but until recently there were two different prices. We had "trial packs" that were $2 and change, but after those ran out the regular tins cost $4-something. Maybe that's what your customer encountered.

Comment

The pizza place where I usually go for all my pizza needs has a "permanent special" on carry out (as opposed to deliveries - this chain doesn't have many restaurants) medium and large pizzas (no discount on small pizzas).

Two medium pizzas: 18€. Cheapest small pizza? 9.20€
                      Two large pizzas: 28€. Cheapest medium pizza? 14.70€

I fail to see how that can be profitable, but it must be, because they've been in business for years and it's the only French created chain that I know have managed to open locations overseas.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                      X