• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous last words from yours truly

Remember when I said I rarely get SCs?
    Ugh.

Well one just left.

Woman comes marching in, calls me Sweetie (strike one) and thunders over to the lingerie.

"I need the stockings I always get. You know the ones."
    strike two: assuming I can read your mind.

She peruses the stockings and says, "Where are the ones I always get?" then, to another customer in the store, "I like the other girl better, this one doesn't do her job."
    strike three: talking about me like I'm not here.

"Im sorry. I don't know what you usually get."
    "Well you could try serving me and finding out."
    strike four: being a twat.

So I go over, try to find out what she's looking for and discover that we're out of what she wants.

"Sorry, looks like we're sold out right now."

she says she's going to look and I walk back to the computer to finish my ordering.

"Where's the dark haired girl who works here?"
    "Which one?"
    "Shes European. She gave me her name once before but no one else here will tell me her name."
    "We aren't allowed to give our names out."
    "Canadian law says you have to."
    "The owners rules are that for our safety we never give our names out. If someone wants to give their name that's their choice but we're told not to."
    "No. By Canadian law retailers have to give their employee names. If I'm dissastsfied with service I'm entitled to a name and you're new and your service sucks."

strikes five, six and seven: pulling the "law" garbage, assuming somene is new only because you have never seen them before and insultig me because I can't give you the names of emlployees.

While I'm helping the other customer check out she putters around the lingerie a bit more then storms out, hopefully never to be seen again.

Part of me felt like whipping out my iPhone and offering to help her look up this "law" stating retail employees are obligated to give their names and lecturing her on manners, but the part of me with a fever who just wanted her out of my face so I could go about my work just smiled, nodded, and repeated, "Im sorry you feel that way."

*sigh*

I'm wondering if this "law" extends to us Down Under. I hate, hate, HATE wearing my name badge for that reason.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I wonder what the weather is like on whatever planet that woman is from. A nutter, for sure.

Comment

Ugh, we get people demanding our personal information, that's why they get our badge number. Last name too if they look at the name tag, but for anything else they can go talk to our Manager, who rocks. All official paperwork gets sent to work too, so our home addresses don't show-up on subpoenas.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

So far as any customer is concerned (assuming I don't flat out tell them theyre not getting my name) I'm Ashley.
          Our names show up on the receipts but my name is not a common one and peope will likely think it's just store-related garble.
          And I also realize how backwards that is on the owners part seeng as they tell us specifically to never give our names but whatever.
          The info on the receipts is ofetn misspelled and foolishly placed so even a common name would likely go unnoticed. Assuming people are holding on to their receipts from sex shops at all.

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
            I wonder what the weather is like on whatever planet that woman is from. A nutter, for sure.
            Freezing, I'd bet.

That lady was just awful. D:
            The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the D20 rules all!!!

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
              "We aren't allowed to give our names out."
              "Canadian law says you have to."
              Somebody's been patronizing I Can't Believe It's A Law Firm!
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Somebody's been patronizing I Can't Believe It's A Law Firm!
                Niiiiiice one.

Comment

Probably catches Lionel Hutz in the middle of repairing shoes every time too.

*hammer hammer* Damn clogs....
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    *hammer hammer* Damn clogs....
                    Bahaha... how good are people that can recite obscure simpsons lines with perfect recall

Comment

Ooooh, I HATE the "You must be new" card When I'm down at the Lumber register(s), I get this from at least one contractor, because I'm never down there to memorize EVERY contractor's face like the four regular Lumber cashiers, and they never come up to the front registers... And I do things by the book when ringing up. Scan everything, check ID when prompted... Which they don't do... Because they see these people almost DAILY.... "Well, why can't you just do it THIS way?" "Because policy is I have to do it this other way." "Oh, you must be new, then... Everybody else knows how to do quantity." "...................... -Goes back to scanning-"
                      Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Kali View Post
                        Bahaha... how good are people that can recite obscure simpsons lines with perfect recall
                        That's essentially my entire existence. I've already named the dog I don't have yet: Milhouse.
                        Or Milpool.

Comment

To be fair, the SC in this story was partially right. A customer does legally have the right to obtain information for the purposes of identifying an employee in Canada. Some use badge or employee numbers, some just their first name. Other times, where there is more risk to an employee, such as working in "Adult" oriented establishments, it is customary to have a pseudonym that can be given out. Kind of like a code name, but your boss would be able to identify you from that. You are however not obligated to go beyond that. You do not have to give out your last name, or anything that can PERSONALLY identify you.

This law was introduced to force larger call centers to be more accountable to their customers as the main reason.

I am not saying that you were wrong in how you handled this, however, if a customer asks for your name, especially for the purpose of a complaint, you are obligated to provide this information. It does not have to be accurate, just so long as your employer can identify you from whatever details you provide.

I only know the legality of this as I maintain a call center, and have been instructed by Industry Canada that this is a requirement. Furthermore, it is required for provincial consumer and corporate affair ministries.

Otherwise, I can't defend anything else that the SC did. In fact, you demonstrated more patience than I, as it would not have made it beyond the 3 strikes.
                          Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
                          I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

My brother used to have a regular rotation of pseudonyms when he worked in the butchershop department of a local grocery. The most popular name, by far, was "Dancing Bear" ^_^ He carried this tradition over when he wound up at a pizza parlor.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
                              To be fair, the SC in this story was partially right. A customer does legally have the right to obtain information for the purposes of identifying an employee in Canada.
                              Sounds like from what you wrote this only applies to call centres.
                              Not like it matters to me because I have never, and I will never, give my name to anyone at this job regardless. It's not wise, it's not safe and my refusal is not only backed up, but expressly requested by the owners.

Comment

Working...
                              X