This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted Scammer

Okay background: I worked in a DQ for 5 years, and now I currently work the desk of a canadian drug store chain. I have been there for 4 months. Now, at the DQ when I was younger, I had been shortchanged twice during the 5 years. And both times, I realized it after and felt incredibly dumb. So I always do change outs for people separate from their purchase so I can be more careful.

A man comes up to my desk 10 minutes to close to buy a pack of cough drops with 5$. He also would like me to change 2 10$s into a 20$.

So I did the transaction for his cough drops, took his 5$, and gave him his change.

Then I took both his tens and gave him his twenty. I remember this because this twenty felt like it had been used a lot, and I was hoping he wouldn't mind. (Some people mind if they don't feel new).

I guess he shoves it in his pocket (I didn't see). And then asks me where his twenty is! I told him I gave it to him, and he starts turning out his shirt pockets. Theres no twenty. And of course, I sort of blank out because when people get upset with me I tend to get flustered.

So, that means I have to call my manager! He asks me how long this is going to take, he "has to go to work in 10 minutes!" And he starts getting really agitated and rude. My manager comes up and is trying to find out mine and his stories. He's starting to swear and asking why "she's letting me steal his money" and is "our store so hard up that we need to steal 20$ from him?! This 20$ is for his son's birthday, to put in his card! " (He didn't buy a card).

My manager tells him that if I didn't give him his money, he can get it back tomorrow morning, after the tills are counted and that tomorrow she can rewind our security tapes to see. So, if I didn't give him his money, he's going to get it back for sure! Our tapes are good ones.

He starts swearing at us, and my manager has had enough and tells him to calm down. He tells us "f you guys" and leaves. And doesn't leave any info so we can contact him if I really did not give him his money!

I have had a lot of people get mad at me while working at the DQ, but I've never had any of them ever scream at me. I understand being a little upset but he was going to get it back if I really didn't give him the money. And this guy was maybe 6'3" and large and I'm not even close, so I was pretty scared. I was even looking around the parking lot after we closed to make sure he wasn't there!

Argh.

Sounds like a scam. Good call on your manager.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth venroses View Post
      My manager tells him that if I didn't give him his money, he can get it back tomorrow morning, after the tills are counted and that tomorrow she can rewind our security tapes to see. So, if I didn't give him his money, he's going to get it back for sure! Our tapes are good ones.
      That's my favorite part. If the guy was legit your manager is being nothing but helpful and reassuring by offering to count the till and review the tapes. If he weren't a scammer he'd be OK with it and you haven't outright accused him of anything (which is important on the tiny chance that he's not a scammer and just forgetful).

And if the guy is a scammer (which he definitely was) that "offer" is the complete opposite of helpful and reassuring.

The remark about how good the tapes are was pure genius.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
      X