This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fell off the wagon

We have a guest who's been with us for a couple weeks. She's a really nice lady and has a small pack of adorable dogs, and hasn't been an SC before now at all (in fact, quite the opposite). However, she's a recovering alcoholic, and last night she apparently fell off the wagon. Lucky for me, it was the other MOD's turn to be on duty Monday night. She called me today with this story.

At about 4am, our then drunk guest (DG) makes her way into one of the other guest rooms, sits down on the bed, and refuses to leave. The guests from that room come down to complain. Other MOD got DG out of the room and the rightful guests back in. Fortunately the other guests don't seem too upset. Everything should be good now, right?

DG then wanders into yet ANOTHER room! Back out the other MOD goes, again. This time the rightful guest in the room is furious. (I'm not sure how DG kept making it into these rooms at 4am without being let in, but I'm sure I'll get those details later.) Anyways, police are called, DG eventually makes it back into her room, and there's no more trouble left for the night.

Damage report: first guest got a discount, second guest got a full refund, and a third guest got a discount as well. Why did a third guest get a discount? Because he videotaped the entire event! Other MOD is working on getting a copy of this video.

This is the first issue we've had with her. I hope she gets the help she needs, because she's an awesome person...when she's sober.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Im sorry, but LMAO...Thats crazy.

Why was another guest up @ 4am and videotaping? And why give him a discount? Your management makes themselves look guilty somehow....

I wonder how she kept getting into rooms. Thats actually kinda scary to know.

Comment

Next time remember, don't give a discount until the videotaper coughs up a copy!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        Damage report: first guest got a discount, second guest got a full refund,
        Okay, this bugs me; why does the 2nd guest get a full refund, and the 1st only a discount? Because the 2nd made more of a fuss?

If the 1st guest should find out about that, I'd say your manager has raised himself another SC - because it clearly spells, "Hey! Make more noise, get more money..."
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

1st guest staying several nights, 2nd guest staying just the one night? 1st guest asked for a discount while 2nd asked for a refund?
          Just a couple of guesses.
          Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
          Me:

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Why was another guest up @ 4am and videotaping? And why give him a discount? Your management makes themselves look guilty somehow....
            The cynical side of me is thinking that the phrase "You wouldn't want this to get out to the media, now would you?" appeared somewhere in that conversation...Because, as we all know, hotels are supposed to be 100% in control of everything their guests do...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A couple times we'd have that happen at our hotel too. The drunk guests got into other people's rooms because those people had propped their door open waiting for a buddy to get back from the bar, or a friend to visit from another room, etc. One guy had the balls to complain that security must have let this random guy into his room! Then when we advised him to keep his door shut, left it open again because he was still waiting for someone!

Though once we somehow did have the issue where an occupied room was listed as open and a 2nd guest was checked-in. He used his key to get into the room and was beaten out of it by a very frightened woman. I never did hear how that even happened; there must have been a major computer glitch!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                Because he videotaped the entire event!
                Reality TV? Was the DG actually Steve-O in drag?
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  Though once we somehow did have the issue where an occupied room was listed as open and a 2nd guest was checked-in. He used his key to get into the room and was beaten out of it by a very frightened woman. I never did hear how that even happened; there must have been a major computer glitch!
                  Nope. All it takes is a really stupid desk clerk. I've actually been in that exact type of situation.

We were part of a group, and when we checked in, the lady at the desk managed to cancel the second room reservation entirely and put us in the same room as the other part of our group. So we get into the room at 4am, and there are people in the beds. People who, thankfully, sleep very soundly. We went back to registration and got it straightened out right off. But I made a point to complain about the woman who had checked us in and her incompetence.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth cactus View Post
                    1st guest asked for a discount while 2nd asked for a refund?
                    Just a couple of guesses.
                    You got it! We never really offer the compensation; we just figure out what will make them not call in a corporate complaint and give that to them.

Oh, and the third guest who videotaped it wanted a discount because his sleep was disturbed by the incident. That was his story anyways. The GM will bend pretty far to avoid complaints to corporate, since his bonus is dependent on as few complaints as possible!

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    Our old system had a really freaky glitch where it would check in a guest without really checking them in, and you could check in another guest on top of them. Basically, the first guest would show up as being checked in on the guest list but wouldn't have a room, even though it would print out the room on the receipt and make the key for them. After having the help desk fix the system several times, they finally just taught me how to do it so we wouldn't have to keep calling them when it happened.

DG apparently was 86'd from the pub across the street after she ran up two tabs and didn't pay. This morning, she was calling our night auditor a pussy because he called the other MOD the other night instead of going out and dealing with her himself. She's due to check-out tomorrow. Methinks that if she tries to pay for more nights, that she will be refused.
                    Last edited by Ree; 11-27-2009, 03:07 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Are there any updates, or did she go without a fuss?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X