This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    It was always my understanding that they put braille on the ATM's simply because the law required it.
    <snip>
    . tbh, it worries me a bit that they have braille on machines which are only accessible via the Drive-thru, where pedestrians technically are not allowed to go...
    Again, no, it's because it's cheaper to make them all identical than to make designated "drive through keypads" and "walk up keypads."

Quoth EricKei View Post
    My question is, why do they have braille on "standard" ATM's that do NOT say everything out loud (assuming that "fully voiced" units even exist...it would be a good way to announce to the world how much money you have)
    As to the "fully voiced," the ones here have headphone jacks, so that solves your problem. And again, cheaper to make them all the same.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I remember the drive-through daquiris, i.e., the slushies with alchohol added. They have some weird flavors down there, like the eggnog daquiri and the chocolate one. When my parents came to visit, they'd laugh their asses off everytime we drove past one of them, which in St Bernard was like every 50 feet.

Comment

I think pharmacy drive-throughs are a good idea, but only as a convenience for people with mobility impairments.

Maybe this is unfair, but I suspect a pharmacy sees a higher percentage of customers in wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc in a typical day than say, 7-11 does.

As for drive-through booze depositories, if you think about it, it's no worse than a liquor store having a parking lot. If someone is gonna drink & drive, they're going to do so regardless of whether or not they had to go into the store.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
          As for drive-through booze depositories, if you think about it, it's no worse than a liquor store having a parking lot. If someone is gonna drink & drive, they're going to do so regardless of whether or not they had to go into the store.
          Oh I realize that it's more the kind of culture shock I had. One of those you see it for the first time and go the WTF? Since then I just point out the amusingness of it.

Comment

amazingly enough, in the small town(farmington, mo)I work in as a system administrator, every convenience store has a drive thru. I live in a small town on the out skirts of St Louis and haven't seen any thing like it up there. But that might be to cut down on robberies too...

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
              Wouldn't work around here. Law is alcohol must be out of reach of the driver, preferably in the trunk, or as far to the back of the vehicle as can be. In a drive-through, you're pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be in reach of the driver.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                Wouldn't work around here. Law is alcohol must be out of reach of the driver, preferably in the trunk, or as far to the back of the vehicle as can be. In a drive-through, you're pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be in reach of the driver.
                Actually that was one of the rules was they would put the liquor in your trunk or back seat never front seat.

Comment

I hate drive thrus. I refuse to use them for fast food; I definitely wouldn't use it for a prescription. Then again, the pharmacy I use is inside a grocery store, so there is nowhere to put a drive up window, anyway.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I hate drive thrus. I refuse to use them for fast food; I definitely wouldn't use it for a prescription. Then again, the pharmacy I use is inside a grocery store, so there is nowhere to put a drive up window, anyway.
                    You'd be surprised a grocery store I shop at the pharmacy was inside the store they specially knocked out part of the wall and put one in.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Our in store RX has a drive-thrus. In fact almost all RX's in the company have drive-thrus.

Comment

I like braille on atms. I can touch-type them even if the layout is unfamiliar.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Drive-thrus contribute nothing to society except greenhouse gas emissions, pedestrian-unfriendly communities, and a lot of unhappy people. Drive-thrus degrade customer service quality as well. There is no reason any person needs to use a drive-thru for anything, except physically handicapped people. They should be reserved solely for that purpose, and only for quick-service eating establishments. No pharmacy needs one of those.

Here in Ontario, a select number of Beer Stores have drive-thrus. Which is ironic because Ontario is one of the most strict places on the planet for where alcohol can and can't be consumed.

Officially, I have boycotted all drive-thrus for at least a year or more, and in my "green apron" days I had the rotten experience of working on one with little or no training. The last one I ever used was at a Wendy's at a late hour when the dining room was closed.
                          Last edited by Can I have a cheeseburger; 12-01-2009, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Quoth Can I have a cheeseburger View Post
                            No pharmacy needs one of those.
                            Thank you for that rant which would have fit perfectly on Fratching. I'd like to point out a glaring omission in your rant, however, which you seem to have failed to consider.

People going to pharmacies are sick, very often. Contagious people make up a large percentage of those sick people. When you're sick, your immune system is compromised, and you will be exposed to many other people with illnesses unlike your own. Thus pharmacies are a great place to spread disease, and pick up new ones. You know how to avoid that? A drive-through. If you'd like to continue your rant, I suggest you take it to Fratching.

Comment

I never even thought about it that way, Broom. I always thought it was just more convenient to use a drive-thru.

I'm not prescribed any meds that I have to take regularly, I've only been prescribed muscle relaxers or painkillers from my own little snafus and that one time with Chantix....and I just walked around Walgreens and shopped while I waited for the scripts to get filled.

But then again, my driver's side window doesn't roll down, and there's only certain drive thrus I will use because of that.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I can see drive through pharmacies being very awesome if you have a sick kid. My sister and I got sick fairly regularly as kids, and our pediatrician sent prescriptions to one of the local pharmacies. That was cool because by the time we got there, the prescription was ready. My mom said the worst part of us being sick was having to drag cranky kids out of the car, into the pharmacy for 5 minutes, then put us back in the car. A drive through pharmacy would solve that problem.

There's a huge difference, though, between getting a routine antibiotic and getting a strange new prescription filled for the first time. There's a place for everything, and the drive through is not the place to try something new.

I know of at least 1 drive through daquiri shop in Texas. I used to hit that place every payday.

Comment

Working...
                                X