This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Many, many places don't take AMEX anything, whether they accept trav cks or not...AMEX is notorious for being much, much slower than other Merchant Service companies when it comes to paying their actual vendors (as much as a month or two slower), while requiring instant payment from their customers.
    We just started accepting Amex (again) through our merchant services partner, and Amex actually charges just slightly less than Visa or MC. And I don't think they pay any slower, but I'm not positive on that. Then again, I am also in the US.
    Quoth Can I have a cheeseburger View Post
    Likewise I had to use my TD-issued VISA card in the U.S. once, and the surcharge for using it outside of Canada was a ripoff. Something like 5% of the transaction value.

Is it any wonder I still prefer travellers' cheques?
    These days, if I were in your position, I'd look into buying Visa gift cards in US funds for that sort of situation. Your card provider sounds really sucky.

The last time I was in Canada, I just used my regular bank card and pulled cash from an ATM near my hotel. The exchange rate was close to the actual rate, and my bank didn't extort any outrageous fees for doing it, so I was happy.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Can I have a Cheeseburger, have you asked your bank if they have any reciprocity agreements with banks in the US?
      One thing I learned thanks to travelling is that Scotiabank has a deal going with Bank of America- Use a BoA ATM in the states, and you don't get charged the transaction fee. Likewise, BoA customers can use Scotiabank ATMs and not get dinged either. I would not be surprised if other major banks had similar arrangements.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        We just started accepting Amex (again) through our merchant services partner, and Amex actually charges just slightly less than Visa or MC. And I don't think they pay any slower, but I'm not positive on that. Then again, I am also in the US.
        ^-.-^
        It's entirely possible that they've wised up and changed with the times ^_^ I'd not heard of them offering LOWER rates, tho. I think our MSP charges something like 1.7 (swiped)-2.72% (keyed) on V/MC and "not actually shown on the site%" on AMEX these days -- not advertising it generally implies higher.

The ads on the AMEX site do refer to "competitive rates" so maybe they've improved. They still have the rep, tho, which may take time to change.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          It's entirely possible that they've wised up and changed with the times ^_^ I'd not heard of them offering LOWER rates, tho.
          We took AmEx for about 2 months about a year ago, and they were way too high for us to continue. Our merchant services provider has been hounding us for the last couple months about their having better rates, so we decided to try again.

Some of their payment policies are irritating, but not deal-breakers.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X