Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Stop Touching the Mannequins. (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Stop Touching the Mannequins. (long)

I don't know where these people get it from, perhaps at some other stores I've never even set foot in customers are allowed to take things off the mannequins as they please. I've always been under the impression that it was some sort of unwritten rule that you cannot take items off the mannequins since the items are somewhere on the floor. In some cases what the mannequin is wearing/carrying may be the last item in stock, so please ask if the sales associate can take it off for you.

At my store we have a group of people who take care of the layout of different departments and they dress the mannequins. If the customer wants something off the mannequin and it's the only one left in stock we have to call that specific group of people to come over and take it down. It sucks for me since they leave around the time that I come in to work, so I have to get the OK from the manager to take the item down.

I am so sick an tired of people taking things off the mannequins. It used to be a minor issue with me because I didn't want anyone to get hurt, but now it pisses me off because it's been happening more often. Customers will come up to me and say, "I got this off the mannequin!" when purchasing an item. I've even caught people messing with the items. If something is up to high that you need to use a cane or something similar to get it down, chances are you should to ask for an employee to get it for you. These mannequins are expensive, but I doubt that the customer will have to pay for it when he finally does break one of our displays.

I also hate how customers will just sit right on our display tables! I catch them doing it over and over again when our light show comes on, usually when I have a line at my register so I can't go over and tell them to get off. I don't even want to ask the manager how to handle the situation since I'm sure she'll just tell me to let it go. I can't let it go. Those tables are for our merchandise only, not for sitting on.
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

No offense, but you need to let it go. People (not anyone specific, just the massive smelly animal that is "people") suck. They will treat your work environment like it's their own personal dumping ground, they'll sit on the furniture, they'll yank on the displays, and it'll never EVER change. Even in upscale stores, this happens. The only thing that is certain if you continue obsessing over keeping them off the furniture and so on is that you'll end up having a breakdown over it, give yourself an ulcer, any number of fun things. The second you let "people" through the door, you've lost any expectation of a pristine, organized store. Trust me, they're not worth agonizing over.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Once my wife wanted to try on something that was on a mannequin. The mannequin person came over and took it off for her. While she tried it on, I chatted with the guy. He had the usual complaints about people damaging the mannequin when they tried to get the clothes themselves.

During the chat, I noticed the size of the garment was 0X, as in zero-X, which I guess is between large and 1X. I remarked to him that it wasn't zero-X but instead was pronouned "ox", like the animal. He cracked up, and was willing to offer me a job there based on my sense of humor.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth SourRobot View Post
        Those tables are for our merchandise only, not for sitting on.
        "Tables are for glasses, not people's asses."

Got that one from Granny when I was like... I don't know... five years old maybe.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          No offense, but you need to let it go. People (not anyone specific, just the massive smelly animal that is "people") suck. They will treat your work environment like it's their own personal dumping ground, they'll sit on the furniture, they'll yank on the displays, and it'll never EVER change. Even in upscale stores, this happens. The only thing that is certain if you continue obsessing over keeping them off the furniture and so on is that you'll end up having a breakdown over it, give yourself an ulcer, any number of fun things. The second you let "people" through the door, you've lost any expectation of a pristine, organized store. Trust me, they're not worth agonizing over.
          The issue is that, in some states and localities, it is illegal for a mannequin to be "naked" on the sales floor. Customers removing articles of clothing from mannequins can create a liability for the store, as I'm sure the indecency fines aren't too fun.
          Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Quoth TheComputerError View Post
            The issue is that, in some states and localities, it is illegal for a mannequin to be "naked" on the sales floor. Customers removing articles of clothing from mannequins can create a liability for the store, as I'm sure the indecency fines aren't too fun.
            This is the exact reason why it's such a hassle. Yes, people suck, they always will, but there is always some moron that will take the shirt off a mannequin, because they couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to finish up at the register, and then some "holier than thou" sees the stupid mannequin has her shirt off, and in goes the call to the dsm, then comes the call from her, and the countless emails from corporate on how we are not projecting a "proper image" wtf? the mannequin wasn't topless for more than 30 seconds!! Hell, I'll throw anything on it, whether it goes with the color story or not, just to keep from getting yelled at. I hate it, but in the end, it's my job, and I have to do it...plus, it's better than being one of the unfortunate ones without employment. I just enjoy my rant and complain time here to make up for the bs we deal with daily in our jobs!

ETA: We had a real gem the other day who took a dress off a mannequin, bought it, walked out, and called our dsm because we hadn't walked away from the registers (2 registers,2 people working said registers, 6 people in line) to go and redress the mannequin, and she was offended. That was a nasty call, and there was "no excuse" for one of us not stepping away to go and fix it. First of all, she never said she took it off the mannequin, so, it never registered.
            Last edited by orcprincess; 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: More to add. :)
            Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

I got to love the articles of clothing that are made for the mannequin, get removed by someone, then they complain about the adjusted articles.

IE sleep pants missing a leg because you only see one leg. Shirts made with a tighter neck so that they don't sag on a missing neck. Ectectect

Comment

Bitching about nude mannequins is rightup there with bitching about maternity clothes models not wearing wedding rings. Makes me want to scream: DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT?!?!?!

As an aside, SourRobot, you let me down. Your title for this one is *totally* misleading. I expected a story about creepy SCs -- *ahem* -- touching the mannequins.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Those mannequins aren't really anatomically correct anyway, so I don't see what all the fuss about a "naked" one is.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                    Those mannequins aren't really anatomically correct anyway, so I don't see what all the fuss about a "naked" one is.
                    Gasp. Oh, no, that mannequin has two round plastic lumps on her chest. Shock. The children will be traumatized. :-l
                    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      That mannequin has better abs then i do! Imma gunna sue!

Comment

What's way more disturbing than naked mannequins is the mannequins without their heads, clothed or not. Also, Kim Cattrall.

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        "Tables are for glasses, not people's asses."

Got that one from Granny when I was like... I don't know... five years old maybe.
                        Oh my gosh I LOVE your granny
                        !
                        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                          Also, Kim Cattrall.
                          Now there's a mannequin I'd like to touch.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                            What's way more disturbing than naked mannequins is the mannequins without their heads, clothed or not.
                            There are a bunch of those in the shops in Disneyland and Downtown Disney.

They're definitely freakish.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Taking the clothes off the mannequins?

Now I've heard everything.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X