This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bag Lady

Dealt with this one at work a couple of weeks ago.

BG: I used to work in retail (4 years of my life that I will never get back, as well as a VERY large part of my soul) but I now work in travel. I mostly do marketing for the agency I work for, but occasionally answer the phones, depending on how busy we are.

Bag Lady (BL) was going to Syria with us. Before she left there were problems, after I dealt with her, there were problems. When I dealt with her, there were..... problems.

She and her companion got to Syria okay, but, alas, his bag didn't. It got left behind. No big deal. It happens right.

She calls us, and I kindly take the information to trace the bag, like any good service provider would.

Will not bore you with the details of tracing the bag, but suffice to say things did not go too well. After some back and forth with BL to tell them not to worry, the bags will be delivered to the hotel, I get told that government red tape prohibits the bags from being delivered. They must be collected from the airport, by someone presenting matching ID.

I relay this back to BL, who blows up at me for giving her false information, sending her to the airport 65KM away yada yada yada.

Somewhere in the whole "I am so disappointed with you... been without this bag for nearly 3 days..." spiel, she comes out with this gem:

"You really should anticipate this happening and know what to do if it does!!!!!11!eleventy!"

We have since instituted a new policy: We have now got a his'n'hers suitcase on standby, ready to go at a moments notice... not!

I suppose the point of it is, should we really need to be able to predict these things (I can for myself, but then again I'm cursed when it comes to travel, as a certain rep for ABC alarms will confirm) or was BL just complaining for the sake of it?
    Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

As someone with experience with international travel you really can't predict these things beyond a statement of 'shit happens, especially when it comes to travel'. It's why I now keep a spare change of clothes in my carry on and the tiny travel toiletries. You did a lot to help her and it's not your fault the Syrian government has different regulations than the ones you're used to.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I'm always amazed when people travel to 3rd world destinations & expect 1st world service. "You're not in Kansas anymore".

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
        As someone with experience with international travel you really can't predict these things beyond a statement of 'shit happens, especially when it comes to travel'.
        I also have some experience of International travel. It seems that I am cursed when travelling to the States. In 2 years I have had 2 sets of missing (delayed) luggage, 2 delays of 24+ hours (1 caused by KCI being closed by snow for the first time in many years) and guaranteed small delays.

I have learned some very simple rules to follow:
        Grin, bear it, remind myself that I love air travel (I really do) and be as polite and friendly as possible around airline ground staff. Upgrades come to those who really deserve them (thank you nice NWA man in KCI for the posh business class seats home, though my bags got delayed on the same journey when they were left behind in Paris lol)

Best of my delayed baggage ones was last month though. On my way home from Copenhagen, Scandinavian rerouted my bag to Oslo, when I was flying to Dublin. The next day, while I was still waiting for my bag, they sent a travel trade newsletter out, praising their baggage handling accuracy. I found it quite ironc, but could still laugh about it.

C.

P.S. Lineswine, funny how you mention Kansas and I have some related stories. I have no problem with people reading my mind, but if you could avoid it between 8-9 I would appreciate it, please and thank you.

P.P.S. I guess I should post in off topic where/when I will be flying, so you can avoid being on the same flight. Think of it as a public service. Oh and trust me, you will thank me for it later.
        Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Next time stay home.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Stay home? Really quite difficult for someone who loves travel. And living on an island means that air travel is my only viable means of long distance travel.

I did try cruising in August. Dublin to Southampton, 2 nights, with about 90 other first timers (the agency I work for had exclusive rights to sell this.)

Night 1, passing through the convergance of 3bodies of water, we met the tail end of hurricane Bill. Even the long serving sea dogs onboard commented that it was the worst they had ever experienced.

On second thoughts, maybe I should stay home.

C.

Comment

Well look at it this way...you're building up your good karma for one hell of an awesome trip!
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                Well look at it this way...you're building up your good karma for one hell of an awesome trip!
                Karma Miles?

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                X