This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Desk

I've had this job about 3 months, and mostly it's been good. But there are still issues... I naively thought I"d be free of SCs here. Is no place sacred?!

W4s

I'm responsible for about 20 company's payrolls. Which means I have to be able to READ the W4s. It's fine when the employees handwrite them. But for some reason, a company just sent in 2 that have everything typed. In, like, font size 4! And they faxed it, which makes things blurry. Result is I have to chase our contact person around to make sure I get everyone's name and SSN right. >

And another thing, how hard is it to fill in the blanks properly? First Name, Middle Initial, and Last Name. Easy, right? Apparently not. I do NOT like having to play Guess The Name, especially since I can't run a bloody paycheck if I'm not confident the info is correct. Then I get yelled at by the contact for not knowing everyone on Earth.

Send Me Your Payroll

I DO need time to run payroll. We have a lot of clients, and I don't just vomit out checks minute to minute. Most of the clients are very good about this, and we have scheduled days for running payroll, usually 2 weeks before the actual payday, so there's plenty of time to get things finished and delivered. One has been getting his in early, which is even better.

There's 1 or 2, though, that will call in their payroll, and want it done in like FIVE MINUTE. Nope, nope, nope. When I first got here, I'd drop everything to do so, but Sup said nuh-uh. We need AT LEAST 24 hours to do payroll. Thankfully, none of the companies are very large, so we're talking 1 to 6 people.

Still, you aren't the only company.

The cake gets taken, though, by the company owner who hasn't had a payroll in months. He's supposed to call in every week with what he's taken out for himself, but never does. We stopped trying to contact him. He wants to pay higher taxes on that, fine. Jim-dandy, not our problem.

Seriously, we need you to answer these

I also do bookkeeping. Mostly reconciling business bank accounts. Most of the stuff is consistant from month to month. The usual bills and credit card fees. But often there will be something new or different, and we can't figure out what it is or which account it should go to. Or there will be a processed check and the owner failed to note what it went for. So we make a nice little list with all the info, dates, amount, etc, and send it off to be answered. Problem is, most companies don't bother to answer. This seriously messes up the bookkeeping. As a last resort, we'll just throw everything to Capital, but don't like to do that. It makes more taxes for the client.

I've got one company that has unidentified transactions from August on. They have to answer now, though. Need a certain report to get a mortgage approved, and we can't run a report unless we have all the questions answered.

Beyond that, I just really need to learn Hebrew. Most of the clients speak English as a second language, so there's often stuff lost in translation and Bossman has to clear it up.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post

Beyond that, I just really need to learn Hebrew. Most of the clients speak English as a second language, so there's often stuff lost in translation and Bossman has to clear it up.
    PM me for help if you need to unless client confidentiality prevents you.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

And if Soulstealer isn't available, this is a great translation site that should help: http://translation2.paralink.com/

You may need to register to get access to the Hebrew-English translations, but registration is free and it's all web-based. Hope it helps!
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

אני תוהה אם זה מתרגם טוב בכלל. זה כנראה לא.
        SC: "Are you new or something?"
        Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

The translation directly from the site I listed:

I wonder if that translates well at all. It's probably not.

I never recommend crap.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
            Send Me Your Payroll

I DO need time to run payroll. We have a lot of clients, and I don't just vomit out checks minute to minute. Most of the clients are very good about this, and we have scheduled days for running payroll, usually 2 weeks before the actual payday, so there's plenty of time to get things finished and delivered. One has been getting his in early, which is even better.

There's 1 or 2, though, that will call in their payroll, and want it done in like FIVE MINUTE. Nope, nope, nope. When I first got here, I'd drop everything to do so, but Sup said nuh-uh. We need AT LEAST 24 hours to do payroll.

Funny, when it took 10 minutes to upload the batch records to us, we didn't get many "we need it in 5 minutes" comments. They usually gave us a whole hour.
            Last edited by Crossbow; 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM. Reason: fix tags
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
            X