Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely livid...how does something like this happen??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely livid...how does something like this happen??

This is part sucky customer and part morons in management but I think it fits better here as the customer was the catalyst for all of this.

A guy comes in with an Xbox 360 elite console, with all the components and no box in sight. He tells me he bought it a couple of months ago and wants to exchange it for a PS3.

I process it as a trade and tell him I can give him $XXX in credit he can use towards a PS3.

The guy FLIPS.

SC: Trade? No no no. I want to do an EXCHANGE. I paid $299 for this thing and that's what I expect to get back!

Let me also point out that this guy had NO RECEIPT and despite my efforts, I couldn't even verify the unit had been purchased at our store. He claimed the original unit he bought from us broke (which is known to happen with 360s) and he was sent a replacement console by Microsoft. That would explain why there's no record of us ever having sold this particular console. Then again he could have picked it up at a yard sale for all I know.

Me: Well sir, with no receipt and no way to verify where this console came from, there's nothing I can do besides a trade in, which will only get you $XXX back.
    SC: Oh hell no! I paid $299 for this thing and I will accept nothing less back.
    Me: Even if you did buy it here we only allow returns up to 30 days, you said yourself it had been about two months so there's no way we can do a return.
    SC: Well you better find a way. I am not leaving unless I get full credit for this.

So I go speak to my assistant manager (since I am totally unwilling to do what SC wants) and she calls the store manager. The store manager decides to call the regional manager. The store manager should be able to make the end call, but if the SC gets upset enough, he's going to call corporate and get directed to the regional manager anyway so it was decided to take it there directly right away.

Our regional manager APPROVED THE EXCHANGE.

The guy got his $299 credit and his PS3. I have written about this particular regional manager before and I'm not a huge fan of this lady, but even I didn't think she'd be crazy enough to approve something like this. Let me restate, there was NO receipt and NO proof where this system came from!

Even my assistant manager couldn't believe it was allowed to happen.

I have been internally fuming about this all day. I'm really starting wonder just how far customers will be allowed to push the envelope on these kinds of things.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    I'm really starting wonder just how far customers will be allowed to push the envelope on these kinds of things.
    Until this woman loses her job? May I suggest sending an email to corporate with a nice list of her atrocities?
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

And document. Document, document, document.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

What's really sad is that displays like this only prove that all you have to do is yell and scream and you will get your way.
        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          I have been internally fuming about this all day.
          Why are you upset about this? Think about it: it isn't your money the company is losing. If the regional manager says it's ok, then let the consequences be on her head and let it go.

And yes, make sure you document EVERYTHING she authorizes/instructs you to carry out. Then make sure you contact your assistant manager to approve other returns like this. That way, you are following her example of "good customer service" and you do not get the heat from the customers. Since you know she will approve it anyway, why put yourself through the hassle of having some customer getting angry at you only to be allowed to do whatever they want? Life is too short. If the regional manager starts to get tired of these requests coming to her all the time, she always can start backing up the company policy or at least supporting you in your attempt to do so.
          "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
          .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and play devil's advocate here.

True, it isn't OP's money or anything tied to them that they have to worry about.

However, what counts here is the principle of the situation.

What sucks is that there's no double standard between employer and employee (in many businesses these days it seems). OP is expected to uphold the policies of the company, only for someone higher up on the ladder to cave into the customer's demands for fear that they'll lose ONE PERSON's bussiness and thus go against their own policies.

Well, regardless of the company (I'm going to go ahead and assume it's Gamestop), losing one customer does not equal out to the hundreds of thousands that the company still profits from.

Sure, maybe word of mouth might turn away some others, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a loss.

I'm with OP on this one. He should have told the guy to go play in traffic (or something to that effect). If a company is unwilling to uphold its own policies, then why even try to turn a respectable profit?
            Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Comment

Quoth thread title
              Absolutely livid...how does something like this happen??
              Did you even have to ask?

I'm assuming this is the same regional manager who told you she doesn't want you spouting policy to customers; you're supposed to just give them what they want. SO naturally that should extend to proving you actually bought something from the store you say you bought it from.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have a sega genesis and I'd really like to exchange it for a Wii. Where is your store located?
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

hunts up my old Atari

Comment

I've got an NES I'm willing to trade in for a PS3. I think they were about the same price, brand new, weren't they? Even swap.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                      Why are you upset about this? Think about it: it isn't your money the company is losing. If the regional manager says it's ok, then let the consequences be on her head and let it go.
                      In a way, though, it is his money. Every bad decision like this makes for less money for raises or at least giving more hours out. I know,I know. I can hear the more bitter of us claiming that no one gives raises anyway, but let's play real here. More shrink means less profit to sink back into the business.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        Why are you upset about this?
                        Because it makes it harder to do your job when the rules keep changing.

Comment

...I've got my old PS2... it doesn't always work and you have to kid of wiggle the cord like this to make it stay on... but it was worth about the same new... Can I trade it even across for a PS3... .cause I don't think it's fair for you to tell me I cant. Since... you know... I spent 20 bucks on it to get it from my cousin...but HE paid full price for it.... and....etc.

**we need a face palm smiley**

I hate people... and I hate spineless management.
                          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                          -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
                            **we need a face palm smiley**
                            Well...there's this

And this:
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Maybe it's an inside job. Maybe this guys related to her and it was all planned.
                              If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                              --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Working...
                              X