Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sucky situation (sorry if this is long)

*Note* I‘m leaving out some details here so as not to make this a “:Fratching“ sort of topic, let‘s just say that there were a few things about this woman‘s (I’ll call her “Nora“) story which didn‘t make sense, and that from a business viewpoint, it’s frustrating when people make assumptions about the services the church is able to provide needy people.*

To give some background detail, every year the church participates in an “Adopt a Family” program for Christmas. The program itself is run by a local community center, and the Mission Committee is responsible for organizing it at the church level. I’m not directly involved with this, so I don’t have much in the way of details on how the program is set up, nor do I have contact info.

Last week I got a phone call in the office from a woman who was asking if we helped out needy families for Christmas. I told her that we did, and mentioned a few details about the “Adopt a Family” program. Apparently she got the wrong idea, because her response was “Great! Can I sign my kids up?” I tried to explain that I couldn’t do that because this program was handled by an outside agency, and I’d never been given info/details on how it was set up. “Nora” kept pressing the issue, and as she mentioned being outside the church building and needing help with other things, I told her to come into the office and I’d see what we might be able to do to help her.

Unfortunately, it turned out that everything which “Nora” needed assistance with, the church is NOT set up to provide. The only thing which I could’ve done would be to give her something from the food pantry, but she declined because of having recently had surgery……she said that she wasn’t supposed to be walking around or carrying anything, so she was hoping that someone from the church would be able to deliver things to her place. (I will say that I did find it odd that she didn’t seem too interested in looking into other churches in the area which might be able to help)

Anyhow, what I finally ended up doing was taking “Nora’s” number and telling her that I’d try to see if I could locate someone who’d be able to help her out with what she was requesting. And I did pass that info on to my sister, as she’s made it a project to help out needy families as she’s able to. She happened to misplace the phone number, and in the meantime, “Nora” showed up in the church office this past week for a “follow-up” on assistance….pointing out that it wasn’t that long until Christmas. Which I do feel bad about, but then again, I DID tell “Nora” what we were/were not able to do for her, and she didn’t seem to really understand that.

She probably wasn't interested in your food or in contacting other churches because she'd already been doing the rounds and collected from them.

Two years or so ago, there was an extended family in my area hitting up the churches for help. In the end it was discovered that they'd had at collected from at least three churches:

- about six months' rent (with a sob story of back rent being due),
    - a couple of months' utilities
    - two cars
    - 2 thanksgiving meals & at least 1 Christmas meal
    - Christmas presents for half a dozen children
    - clothing for the whole family

I say at least three churches because some didn't want to be identified out of embarrassment. These guys were professional scammers.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Reminds me of the woman that pretended to have cancer so people would raise money for her. I hope Nora was just confused, and not trying to scam.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        She probably wasn't interested in your food or in contacting other churches because she'd already been doing the rounds and collected from them.

Two years or so ago, there was an extended family in my area hitting up the churches for help. In the end it was discovered that they'd had at collected from at least three churches:

- about six months' rent (with a sob story of back rent being due),
        - a couple of months' utilities
        - two cars
        - 2 thanksgiving meals & at least 1 Christmas meal
        - Christmas presents for half a dozen children
        - clothing for the whole family

I say at least three churches because some didn't want to be identified out of embarrassment. These guys were professional scammers.
        That's kind of what I'm suspecting "Nora" may have been trying to pull....partly because I would think that most people wouldn't have waited until shortly before Christmas to look into assistance programs.

Comment

We've had some sudden layoff in this area leaving people wanting for necessities just before the holidays, so her timing isn't a concern to me. But these people count on the fact that the churches do not talk to each other and share information abot who's receiving assistance. If oly there were a legal way to close the loophole without revealing people's private information.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

If you run into her, or another person needing assistance, I would suggest sending her to your local Department of Human Services. They should be able to help her or send her in the right direction.

Another suggestion is to require people who ask for help to show proof that they have asked either DHS or another agency for help and where denied. This is common practice by agencies that don't have alot of funds to make sure that they only provide service to those who can't get it anywhere else.

Comment

Quoth elsporko View Post
              If you run into her, or another person needing assistance, I would suggest sending her to your local Department of Human Services. They should be able to help her or send her in the right direction.

Another suggestion is to require people who ask for help to show proof that they have asked either DHS or another agency for help and where denied. This is common practice by agencies that don't have alot of funds to make sure that they only provide service to those who can't get it anywhere else.
              Oh, I'm definitely putting together a list of resources to hand out to people who come in seeking assistance, and I honestly did my best to point "Nora" in the right direction for help, but it just felt like she was looking mostly towards my particular church to help even though I told her we didn't have the resources to do more than a food pantry.

Comment

Working...
              X