Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay so I am supposed to shop for strangers children now.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay so I am supposed to shop for strangers children now.

I was helping out with stocking overnights last night. Not my normal job. Condensing and shoving out new merch. More than once, I was asked,"What would you get for my <insert random relative child> age <insert random age>" I don't know them. I point to the WALL of children's crap and continue stocking. Not good enough. They want to know what they should get. Try asking the child , or their parent, or grab something in your price range. IT IS 2:30 a.m. why are they pestering me!

Quoth Aislin View Post
    IT IS 2:30 a.m. why are they pestering me!
    Because theyre lazy and expect you to be a psychic.

Comment

It's a brainscattering time of year though. You might know, so they ask.
      However, there's no need to be rude when someone doesn't know. (But that's probably in the SC handbook.)
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Aislin
        "What would you get for my <insert random relative child> age <insert random age>"
        Something noisy that'll drive the parents crazy?
        To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
        my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

And whatever you do, be sure it's overpriced.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Well, that'd depend. Sometimes, depending on how the customer asked, i'd try and help. Although, judging by the fact you posted this here in the SC section, they probably didnt ask all too nice

Comment

Customer: "He's a 9 year old boy. Do you think he'll like it?"
              Me: "I don't know, I've never been a 9 year old boy."

Seriously, it's your own damn kid, did you meet after he left your womb?
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post

Beautiful, I'd like to steal that to use if I meet some people at the store who pester me.

I also got the flipside of this for Father's Day one year: 50ish Lady wanted to know what she should buy for her 50ish husband and when I pressed her for more information she said, "I don't know." She ended up buying a bottle of wine, a card, a bag and tissue paper.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
                  I was helping out with stocking overnights last night. Not my normal job. Condensing and shoving out new merch. More than once, I was asked,"What would you get for my <insert random relative child> age <insert random age>" I don't know them.
                  Simple solution:

Power tools!

-Wembley
                  Originally Posted by edible_hat
                  (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Perfect response. Lol.

Comment

I get this a lot this time of year at my games store.

My usual follow up question is to say: "Well what does he/she like?" I mean sure, I can tell from observation that a lot of kids like Spongebob, but if I recommend a Spongebob game for your little sweetie who happens to NOT like Spongebob, that won't work too well.

A gender and age is usually not enough, even for adults. You can ask what you should get your 20 year old son who has a 360 and Modern Warfare 2 would seem like a lock...but what if he doesn't like shooting games? More information always helps.

And if all else fails, we have the almighty gift card.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Money. put it in a christmas card, you are good to go. No age limits, can be used for anything.
                        If you have no clue what a kid might want and have to ask random strangers what to get, stick to money.

Gift cards are good too, but what if they don't like that store.

Comment

I've been shopping for Angel Tree stuff (or other things where I don't necessarily know the child very well), and what I'll do is find a kid of the right gender and approximate age, ask the parent(s) if I can get the kid's advice, and then ask what's popular or what that kid might like getting for the special occasion.

I try to warn parents I see looking at the noisy toys that my son has owned if the toy is especially annoying. I warned a lady the other day about a toy that would make noise any time it heard a noise or the lighting changed, and the sounds were set very high with no volume control. She smiles at me, thanks me, and tells me that it's perfect.

Apparently this was a gift for the child of a much hated sister who always gave noisy presents to *her* kids. Payback, indeed.

I think it's alright to ask about what's popular, or fun, or for a particular age. Once you start asking people what they would get for your child, the only proper response is "Nothing. It's not *my* kid."
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                            I've been shopping for Angel Tree stuff (or other things where I don't necessarily know the child very well), and what I'll do is find a kid of the right gender and approximate age, ask the parent(s) if I can get the kid's advice, and then ask what's popular or what that kid might like getting for the special occasion.
                            I've never met a little boy who didn't like Tonka Trucks. We had a 4 year old boy this year and that's what he got for his toy.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

My mom asked a person at a toy store during a brief period she was clean what she should get a 6 year old.

He suggested four ninja turtles. I got Leo, Ralph, Don, and Mike. I was very very happy with that present.
                              Military Spouse Support.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                              X