This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to annoy people and accomplish nothing

Had I been the cashier in this instance, I would have just said no and avoided this whole mess. Alas, at the time I was just helping bag groceries.

A customer had ten items and wanted to pay for them all separately, but with the same bank card. She said she had to use the card 10 more times in a certain period to get 3% interest, or something like that. Apparently she thought she could do it all in in one trip. This would have been a brilliant plan, were it not for a few minor details...

1. SC wanted to use a coupon that called for the purchase of three of an item, yet she wanted to pay for them separately.

2. SC wanted to use a raincheck for four items (again, all the same), which requires manager approval. Buying them separately would have required the manager to be tied up for a couple of minutes, giving their OK for each transaction.

3. The system will not allow "duplicate" transactions (from the same card, for the same price, within a set time limit), so SC couldn't have purchased most of her items separately no matter what.

4. This occurred during the after-work grocery rush, which was made worse by the fact that a major snowstorm was imminent.

All told, this SC held up a register for around ten minutes, for a total of less than $25 - and she didn't get even half the 10 transactions she wanted. Naturally, the customer didn't seem the least bit embarrassed or apologetic about it.

Isn't that just spending more to get a few dollars out of it in return? That's almost like me scanning my discount card and expecting a heap off (I only get 5% off)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

While I think the customer in this case was, how shall I put this politely, a blooming fucking idiot, I don't see how she was spending more by running separate transactions. I know that on my bank card/credit card, as on many, there are no transaction fees. If I spend $100 in 1 transaction or 10, I am still only spending $100.

Just saying.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I think she would have spent more if she bought three items separately instead of together, when she could have used a coupon if she bought them together.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'm figuring she was with US Bank. They had a promotion that if you had a purchase under $25 dollars on your cc, they would only charge you 3% interest.
          Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Actually, it sounds like she was using a debit card, rather than credit card. One of my checking accounts pays a bit over 3% monthly interest if I have 10+ ACH transactions in a single month. There are a couple of other stipulations, as well, but it sounds like the woman doesn't ever use her debit card and realized last day of the cycle that she needed to get them in.

I pay for weekly gas & groceries with my debit card, which takes care of 8 out of 10 quite handily. But then, I like to think I'm smarter than your average SC.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, ten separate swipes would cost the store a lot more in merchant fees than a single 10 item transaction.

I hate people who split up transactions like that. Splitting 10 items up into two purchases is fine with me, but three more is pushing it a little bit. In a lot of cases, there's little reason the purchase can't be made all at once and separated after.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                Actually, it sounds like she was using a debit card, rather than credit card. One of my checking accounts pays a bit over 3% monthly interest if I have 10+ ACH transactions in a single month.
                Please can you tell what bank that is, either to the group or offline? I'd love to get that kind of interest on my checking account!

Merriweather

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Ditto what Merriweather said. Do they offer online accounts throughout the US?
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

3%!?

Fargo of Wells only gives like 0.001% or some other pitiful joke of interest.

Comment

3% is more than most places give, even around here, but if you have a thousand sat away and you don't touch it, in a year you get an extra thirty of your currency. Ten thousand gains three hundred in a year. To gain any meaningful interest, you need very significant sums.

Rapscallion

Comment

"cost a lot more in merchant fees".

That is correct. I believe most stores pay a flat fee per transaction.

Comment

Quoth MaseMan View Post
                          I believe most stores pay a flat fee per transaction.
                          That depends on a lot of factors. Since debit transactions are so wildly popular in Alberta, I believe most stores operate on a "you have THIS many transactions per month, and then after that it's a fee per." And I think it's a fairly ridiculous amount. Something like 5,000 for $50 or less, depending on banks.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The credit union at work offers 3.5% interest on checking accounts. You might want to see what credit unions in your area are offering.

Comment

Working...
                            X