This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bunch of Papers with Names, Oh My

This brief and amusing bit happened a little less than a week ago, and I just can't get it out of my head.

So! I'm going about my business as your Friendly Neighborhood Teller, when suddenly there approaches a woman with a check to be cashed. Gasp!

SC: *proffers check*
    Me: Just cashing today?
    SC: Yes.
    Me: All righty! Do you just have your license?
    SC: *sigh of intense aggravation* No, I don't! *brandishes handful of random junk* But I have a bunch of papers with my name on them!

...really?

Me: *stare* Uh...do you have any form of ID on you at all?
    SC: NO! *huff* Look, I was just gonna go to the ATM, but then I realized I didn't have my bag with my card and my ID in it, so I thought I'd just cash this check instead.

Wait, so...you honestly thought you wouldn't need ID to cash a check? Huh?

Me: Well, is there anyone here in the branch who knows you and could identify you?
    SC: No, I never come here!
    Me: *completely dumbfounded at this point* Well, then, I'm very sorry, but without valid ID, I can't cash this for you.
    SC: *huff, huff, sigh, huff* Fine, give it back! I'm just gonna have to go to another bank!

Okie doke, have fun?

I mean...what? You come into a financial institution to cash a check, at a branch where you know no one's going to know you, and not only do you not have ID, but you offer up random non-legally binding pieces of paper with names on them as substitutes?

IN WHAT UNIVERSE DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?!

(...besides the one in which she might have been attempting fraud. If that's the case, then wow, ultra fail)

That's just
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I honestly can never remember what the different acceptable forms of ID are. I can use a letter sent to me (any letter) to vote. I can use a bill or any other "official" type letter to get my health card. Having never had to present ID to deposit a cheque (I always use the ATM), I would be confused. I'd probably ask someone in advance, or at least ask the teller "I'm sorry, what ID do I need?", but I can understand her logic.

ETA: and clearly I'm not thinking, because it completely slipped my mind when I posted this that they only reason they accepted those as ID was because I also had photo ID saying what my name was, those are just proof of address. Except, of course, for an election, but given that you don't even need the letter, that really doesn't count.
      Last edited by Magpie; 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: My brain was apparently on vacation yesterday

Comment

That reminds me... I need to get my Health and Sheriff Cards renewed.

They don't care who deposits money or into what account it goes into as long as they have an account number. Before I had direct deposit, I'd have my boss deposit my checks for me if I couldn't get it before I went on vacation.

To take money out though, they need something official with a picture to prove you're who you claim to be. Simple security. DL, State/Military ID, or passport are typically the only ones accepted. Here in Nevada, some will accept gaming/non-gaming cards as they're issued by the local sheriff's department.

CH
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Working...
        X