This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tithera returns, with tales of the highway

It has been a long time since I have posted. I quit that job at my resturant because of my sucky boss. Turns out, a week later, 1)the kitchen caught on fire 2)the roof caved in (no one was there thankfully) and 3) they went out of buisness. Don't you just love karma sometimes?

Well, I became unemployed until this summer. I began working for the state transportation, in the traffic division. Basically, we went around and fixed road signs, fixed street lights (that weren't contracted from some other company) and set up detours and periodically helped other divisions (setting up road blocks for the road painters, flag etc). Now, we didnt deal with customers, per say, but sucky people in general. The jobs are actually pretty dangerous, since we're right on the road, literally inches away from FAST MOVING traffic. Theses are just a few stories that stuck with me from those 4 months.

Vision Check
    I was out on 81, flagging for our electricans who were putting up a new yellow-flashing school zone sign. Now, for those of you who don't know what flaggers do, we stand in the middle of the road with a 2 sided sign, one reads SLOW and one reads STOP. I stood on one end, near our guys, signaling traffic to either go down the one lane or stop.
    Well, one car just happened to think they were more important than the large boom truck holding three guys sitting behind me. I had my sign switched to stop while my co-worker directed traffic from the other end. This elderly couple comes around the curve (quite quickly) and did not seem to want to slow done. Now,this was like, my second week working, my first time flagging and I started to freak out because I either I was going to get hit, or this was going to be one hell of an accident. I put my sign in the crook of my arm, still upright, and signal agressively with my hands to STOP! About a few feet from me, they finally stop and start cussing at me.

Elderly man: What the fuck?! Why the hell are you in the middle of the road?!
    Me: *looks behind me where several trucks with the state transpo. logo are plastered everywhere, several guys with work clothes and bright yellow saftey vests are standing around, not to the mention the bright orange ROAD WORK AHEAD and FLAGGER AHEAD signs a few feet from the curve.* WEll, sir because there is road work going on here and I am directing traffic to the one lane.
    EM: Well, what the fuck?! why weren't there any signs posted?
    Me: *rolls mental eyes, points to the sign not even 5 feet behind his car* Actually, sir, there are signs posted. Big signs.
    EM: Whatever. Get out of my way, we're late for an appointment.

Yeah, I'm going to magically make all the trucks and people disappear just so YOU can go through. You almost killed me, so you can wait an extra 5 minutes for the giant semis to pass. Douche.

Which Way Do I Go Again?
    We got a lot of these while out and about. While setting up detours, we put signs on posts with TURN AHEAD (with arrows to which way you should turn) and so forth. Apparently, people do not know how to follow these signs properly. Especially when the detour isn't even finished.

ID: idiot driver
    Me: duh
    CW: Co-worker

We're parked on the side of the road, attaching another sign, warning the driver that a left turn is ahead. ID then drives up.
    ID: Where does this detour take me?
    CW: *looks over, while holding the heavey metal sign* Excuse me?
    ID: Where does this detour take me? I've been following it for an hour and I don't know where I am, theres no more signs after this.
    Me: *blink blink* *Did he really just say that? He's following the detour we haven't finished?*
    CW: Well, sir, that's because we haven't finished setting it up. This detour isn't active until next week, as the sign right before it states.
    ID:......then why are you setting it up? That confused me!
    CW: Well, that's why we put the sign that stated that the road will not be closed until next week.
    ID: So you mean I just took an hour of driving out my day because you morons put up a detour before it was needed? Fuck you!

He drove off, leaving both of us stunned. Can people seriously not read?! And if not, what the hell are they doing driving?!

Wrong Building
    Now, where our buildings are to house all of our equipment, trucks and our offices also happens to be where the motorcycle license test area is, but they are only conducted after we're closed, by the DMV and Sheriff's office. Well, some guy comes up to our building on a bike, clearly labeled EMPLOYEES ONLY. I was out, grabbing a smoke after lunch and noticed him. He gets off and comes very close to my personal bubble.

MG:motorcyle guy
    Me: of course

MG: Is this where I take the motorcycle test?
    Me: Did you make an appointment with the DMV and Sheriff's office?
    MG: *blinks* What, no! Why would I have to do that? Isn't this the DMV?
    Me: No sir, this is the state transpo. hanger for the traffic divison.
    MG: Isn't that the same thing?
    Me: No. Are you from out of town?
    MG: *getting pissed off* Of course not! I've lived here my entire life you stupid teenager!

Then maybe you should know where the DMV is. And yes, I was only 18 at the time, but my age does not mean anything. I've lived here my whole life as well, and know where everything is. Bonus: I know the difference between highway workers and the DMV. So, please, do not blame me for you're own stupidity.

Me:Well, sir, I can't help you. You are on private property and I have the authority to call the police to remove you.

Of course, he got all huffy and took off on his bike. Bonus: He got pulled over not even a block down the road for not having a license. Love it!

What Are We, Jeopardy?
    Just a few random questions we've gotten while working. People will actually stop on the road to ask us.

"What's the gas prices at the <gas station> in <town far from here>?"

"Does the DO NOT ENTER sign apply to school buses?" (not kidding, a school bus actually stopped and asked us about this. Of course it applies to you!)

"So you mean, if I take this road, I'll fall off a bridge or something?" (BRIDGE OUT road. I don't know, why don't you drive down it and see?)

ONE LANE AHEAD flagging. "So, does that mean I have to choose one lane to drive on?" WTF?!

Flagging again "Why don't you guys use big, flashing signs instead of those pole ones?" Because idiots like you would be too easily amused by them to stop. I got problems enough as it is.

More to come, some day.
    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

So I hope the important test of the motorcycle test is actually finding the test? If so, I hope the guy failed...

Comment

Haha, great stories. I can kind of understand where the detour guy was coming from -- I'm used to seeing signs set up ahead of time covered in plastic sheeting until they're ready to be used, so people don't take detours before they have to. It doesn't excuse his lousy attitude, though.

Comment

Quoth Tithera View Post
        Now, where our buildings are to house all of our equipment, trucks and our offices also happens to be where the motorcycle license test area is, but they are only conducted after we're closed, by the DMV and Sheriff's office.
        I went to get my car inspected, probably three inspections ago (so nearly 8 years, as they're every 2 years and it's almost time for the next) and while they were doing this, I watched a motorcycle pull up to the front of the building, where the sign says "Motorcycles and reinspections only" (i.e. if you fail on safety, you go there for reinspection and don't have to go through the whole line for the emission test). I asked the inspector what they check for on motorcycles; surely they don't check emissions? He said, "No, but they check the lights, the horn, the brakes, if there's a visor they check it's not cracked..." At this point the motorcycle slowly and majestically toppled over, nearly squashing its owner, and the inspector went on, "...check the operator's not retarded...."

Comment

Working...
        X