This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought...

If you are at a self-check out, and you seem to be having a lot of trouble, SLOW DOWN! And start reading the screen, the damn thing is supposed to be nearly idiot proof!

Woman and possibly related gent start ringing at one of my sco's today, and suddenly, all four are busy at once. Woman calls me over after she rings up a bag of oranges.
    W: "These are supposed to be ten for $10!"
    M: "Yes, ma'am, all the discounts come off after you hit the 'pay now' button, unless you scan your card earlier, then it all shows up as it gets scanned."
    W: "Then I don't want them. I want to have the price I pay be the price I see."
    M: *blink, blink, take bag o'ranges, void, and move aside* (thinking: Strike one! You'd get the same thing if you went through a full service check out, THAT'S HOW the system IS SET UP!)
    I go back to being available if the other customers need me, and suddenly, my hip scanner tells me she needs assistance, so I go over, and the screen is asking for her to put down whatever she just scanned to get a weight on it.
    M: "Ma'am, what did you scan just before the screen stopped?"
    W: "This container of salad bar..." *she shoves a small tub at me*
    M: *looks at her screen, er, no, the last thing on the screen was a fried chicken, but I don't see it readily available... it's hidden in her bags somewhere (Strike Two?), so I set the salad down to go digging for her chicken, and, oops, I set it on the scale, or she slid it on while I wasn't looking, I'm not really sure, either way, suddenly, the error is cleared, so I go back to being readily available*
    About two minutes later, I get another notice that she needs help, with coupons now, which is entirely my jurisdiction at the sco... so I walk over.
    M: "You have coupons?"
    W: "You AGAIN?" (Strike three!)
    M: "Yes, ma'am, I'm running this bank of registers. Now, then, you have coupons you need scanned?"
    W: *she grudgingly hands the one coupon over, I scan it, and take it to the drawer it goes in, and then proceed to ignore her as they walk off with their purchase, after paying, of course*
    "I call murder on that!"

There's definitely people who shut their brain off when confronted with anything more complex than a microwave. These people need to be banned from 1) The internet. It'd be a safer place without their spam clicking, and phishing falling ways. 2) Self checkouts, because some of us like to use these as a faster and more anti-social option than actual checkout lines. 3) In extreme cases, driving, because the left lane is called the fast lane for a reason. Not so you can go 20MPH under the speed limit in it with your left blinker on.

I swear I don't hate people...much.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
      There's definitely people who shut their brain off when confronted with anything more complex than a microwave.
      Microwaves are complicated, as evidenced by stupid coworker who didn't 'see' the popcorn button on the BRAND-NEW microwave for us peons... she set the time for 4 minutes and walked away. Yeah, the smoke was so bad it smelled for 4 months and the interior is still totally discolored. The upside was that security discovered that the fire alarm system wasn't working!

SCO's are apparently even harder, because they have real WORDS! What scale, where does it want me to put this, why can't I just wave my debit card at the screen?
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

my problems with self checkouts are two fold.

1) overly sensitive scales in the bagging area, just because a bottle moved slightly should not mean that it registers there is something new in the bag.

2) Having to get the same id needed screen overridden several times. if i've been overridden for buying a bottle of alcohol i shouldn't have to get overridden again for the same thing in the same transaction 30 seconds later

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
          2) Having to get the same id needed screen overridden several times. if i've been overridden for buying a bottle of alcohol i shouldn't have to get overridden again for the same thing in the same transaction 30 seconds later
          You won't at my self check outs.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Idiot proof? You made a funny!

And coupons were always horrible at SCO. Even regular registers used hand-held scanners to scan most coupons. Yet a customer would walk up with a fist-full of coupons and act surprised they wouldn't scan properly.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Idiot proof? You made a funny!
              Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots...
                You realize that they are built by unskilled labor?

You and I
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Permission to use as signature?

C.
                  Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

dale - Point in your favor

Quoth Chrismor View Post
                    Permission to use as signature?

C.
                    Cheerfully granted. I would be honored ^_^
                    Last edited by EricKei; 02-22-2010, 03:37 AM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I had something similer as my sig for awhile:

"Just when you think you've designed something idiot-proof, nature comes along with a superior idiot." -old engineering adage
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        There is a race between designers trying to produce idiot-proof items and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

paraphrasing Rick Cook, author of the Wiz Zumwalt books

Comment

Never heard of him ^_^ But I have heard the sentiment many times in many different forms.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Never heard of him ^_^ But I have heard the sentiment many times in many different forms.
                            You can download the first two books (Wizard's Bane & The Wizardry Compiled) for free from Baen Free Library. Great fun.
                            i.e.:
                            Seven: Demon Debug
                            The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
                              my problems with self checkouts are two fold.

1) overly sensitive scales in the bagging area, just because a bottle moved slightly should not mean that it registers there is something new in the bag.

1. I think this is why the store I worked at had the bagging scales disabled. More trouble than they were worth. Sometimes it was because customers would scan an item and then put it into a bag they were holding, completely bypassing the bagging scale and then getting confused/whiny/insulted when the system asked them to bag the item. Then they would hit "Skip bagging" and then set the item down, resulting in an "extra" item being placed on the scale. Then they'd get insulted that the system asked them to remove the "unscanned item," because it was scanned, OMG!

Other times, the customers would put their purse/diaper bag/toddler on the bagging scale, or lean on it with one knee, and then get completely confused why the system whined about unscanned merchandise in the bagging area. I always got blank looks when I explained what they'd done.

Me: Ma'am, the register thinks your purse is an unscanned item. Don't set it down here with the bags, because the tray there weighs your items.
                              Customer: *Blank, uncomprehending look; continues to put purse on scale each time I clear the error.*

2. The only time you should get this at my SCOs is if the second scanned item requires a higher age. For example, if you're buying an R-rated movie, white-out, and alcohol, in that order, you're going to get carded three times. The R-rated movie asks if you're over 17. I tell it yes. Then the white-out asks if you're over 18. Again, I tell it yes. Then the alcohol asks if you're over 21. Again, yes. If you were to scan the alcohol first, I'd tell it you were over, and then the machine already knows you're old enough for the other two. I've had more than one annoyed customer because of this system, but they'd throw even bigger fits if the machine actually kept track of their birthdates (not that it can do anything with them, but that doesn't stop the older conspiracy nuts).
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X