Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

don't tell me you "handle your business"...(not really sucky, just...clueless)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't tell me you "handle your business"...(not really sucky, just...clueless)

...and then proceed to prove exactly the opposite.

I had a girl in her early 20s call me today. She was nice enough, although she did seem to give off that vibe of being a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. She's been cut off from her benefits, and unfortunately, it's been 60 days since this happened, so she needs to reinstate herself back into her case.

Of course, being that she doesn't seem too bright, she asks me to explain a couple of times why she must have herself reinstated on her own case. I tell her that only her child is eligible (this girl is a parent? Dear god), and because she's past the timeframe when she could have just done what she needed to do to keep her benefits, she basically needs to add herself back on.

We sent out the form she needed to fill out (a status report, to ensure there have been no changes in her situation) over three months ago. We sent out a notice to inform her she was losing her benefits two months ago, as is proper procedure when we don't get the status report back. I inform her of this.

She proceeds to tell me that she lives with several other people, and "you know how it is." Other people get the mail, set it down somewhere, and don't tell you you got something, etc etc, but she totally would have filled out and returned anything she got from us right away, because she handles her business. I politely commisserate, but then let her know that it is her responsibility to ensure she does get her mail on time, especially for important things like her (not to mention her baby's) benefits. I then gently suggest that if this continues to be a problem, she might want to consider alternative arrangements for receiving her mail. I look back at previous documentation, and yes, indeed, it's a pattern with her.

She wasn't really sucky, just young and clueless. At least she apologized and promised she'd be more conscientious in the future.

I have a three word solution for her "mail" dilemma . . .

Post Office Box

She can have her mail rerouted to a post office box and be able to get her mail, especially if she's having issues with multiple people handling the mail.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I suggest those to almost everyone I talk to, since almost everyone I talk to lives in a crowded living situation and people just never get their mail because they can't see fit to take responsibility and make sure they get their mail.

At least she didn't argue the point that it WAS, in fact, her fault and it was her responsibility to make sure she gets important correspondences. She did say she lived with her mom, so at the very least she could ask mom to set aside anything that looks important (well, depending on if that person's reliable or not). I live with my mom, too, and it's what she does for me.

Comment

She reminds me of a friend of mine, who's dating my best friend. She's a very nice girl, very kind, but is so many sandwiches short of a picnic I don't even know if she packed the basket... Not anything wrong with her, really... She's just dumb.Still, she is well-intentioned, and its not her fault she's stupid. I'm glad you didn't get upset with her.
        Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

She was actually a pretty nice person to deal with, because she didn't start out with the screaming, cursing, and general SC fuckery those of us on the front lines of dealing with the public have to endure.

She did thank me (forgot to mention that in the OP), and said I was very helpful. That always makes my day. Believe it or not, it's incredibly rare for me to get a "thank you" these days, unless it's a "thanks for nothing."

Comment

I have lived with up to 8 roommates before, and had this problem. I just discovered when the mailman came and made sure I was the one who got the mail. Problem solved. If you are determined enough, you can do it. The girl sounds like she's just got a bad case of the young and stupids. Hopefully she gets it together soon, for her baby's sake.
            "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
            X