This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't touch the Employees!

We have a couple of displays in our mall that advertise specific products or services with a representative standing-by to explain the details. One gentleman who works one of the booths has basically been assaulted twice in the couple months he's been here.

The first time, he's sitting at his booth facing-out. Suddenly his name tag lanyard his yanked about his neck and pulled back, choking him! He swung-out with his arm but hit nothing. Then this 10-YO kid runs-out from behind him and away towards a couple of older girls. The employee yelled at the kid to get back here, and one of the sister's told her brother to apologize. The employee told the kid to NEVER do that again!

The second time, he's standing at his booth, again facing one way, when suddenly he gets hit in the back! He swung-back with his elbow and hit a young guy that had come-up beside him, who apparently decided to get the employee's attention not by speaking to him, but by smacking him on the back like you would do your best buddy! The employee was pretty pissed, but explained it felt like an attack (and those do happen where I live!), and did apologize.

What is with people? You just don't go around grabbing people you don't know, even to get their attention!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

When I worked at Burger King (way back in like 1987 or '88) Some guy thought it'd be a great idea to try to drag me out the drive thru window by yanking on my arm when I was trying to hand him his change. That hurt!

I dont know what he was thinking, but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me forward for a few seconds before letting me go. I think the manager banned him from coming back...maybe?

Comment

I hate it when people do that, especially those that poke me in the back to get my attention. Sometimes it's also because someone's wanting to see my jewelry and actually yank on my arm to see the bracelets better. Um, no you ask before you touch, please and thanks.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Have you tried the phrase, "If you would have asked before touching me you would have known about the contagious disease I have.... so your welcome"
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I hate it when ppl think they can just grab you like that. One of my friends was rubbed on her back b/c a customer thought She was pretty and needed to know where something was. She told him off and told him not to touch her again or shed call for her husband who wad shopping at the time. Naturally the customer didn't like that and informed the manager that he refused to shop in the store with "Damned rude employees" this guy touched my shoulder once and I jumped back and asked him not to do that. Ever since then he'S been a bit cold. Respectful but not as cheery and friendly toward me and my friend
          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
            Have you tried the phrase, "If you would have asked before touching me you would have known about the contagious disease I have.... so your welcome"

evil...I likes
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I read an account of a Golden Gate Bridge toll collector who had her arm severely hurt by an asshat commuter a few years back- She reached out for the money, and the guy grabbed her arm, twisted it and hit the gas pedal, wrenching it to the breaking point. Un-fucking-real. According to some workers I spoke with at the bridge, the toll collectors get mistreated on a regular basis, although not quite like that!

If any of you is in the bay area, please give those poor toll collectors a Customers Suck card next time you go through the GG or San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge tollbooths! We could use a few of them ranting here, I am sure their stories of commuter suckage would be epic!

Comment

This was back in my housekeeping days. I was rooting around in the supply closet when a guest suddenly pokes me in the back. A sharp, hard, poke with an acrylic nail directly in the middle of my back.

I hate when people come up behind me, I startle easy. I whirled around and obviously the expression on my face offended the guest. She complained to my bosses that I was rude to her. Luckily, I didn't get in trouble when I explained what had happened.
                My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Catching the train, I've heard guards talking about people who have grabbed their ties as they're standing at the open door while the train starts moving, trying to pull them out.

Comment

I definitely can't see the violent reaction to customers thing, even having grown up in Chicago, but I can see the not wanting to be touched. Some people just grab or touch you at completely the wrong times. I had a case where I was making Custards, which require a water bath in the oven. I had the pan completely out of the oven when a girl grabbed my arm, splashing the water over the side of the pan. I managed to move MY FACE in time and got only my arm burned. Thankfully, smart enough to move and wipe the water off.

Comment

Keep in mind I have also heard of people screwing with Marines and the if you go across the pond, the gaurds outside of Buckinham palace because of them not supposed to react to tourists and what not when they gaurding. In either case these people are trained to kill others, and I don't feel sorry for anyone who ends up getting a response and injured.
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Didn't people learn about the personal space bubble in kindergarten?

I personally dislike being touched by anyone other that my family and closest friends. If I had people surprising me and grabbing at me there would be a strong possibility that they would either get elbowed or punched as that is my gut reaction. I don't know how many times I almost did that to my boyfriend when we first started dating. He eventually learned not to surprise me from behind.

However I do get grabbed by my "clients" at work occasionally. I work at a pet boarding/doggy daycare place and the over excited dogs and young puppies seem to like my waterproof winter gloves.
                        Elwood: "We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
                        Jake: "Hit it."

Comment

I've had a few people approach me at my desk when I had my headphones on, deep in thought trying to solve some programming problem, who thought a good way to get my attention was to tap me on the shoulder. After I instinctively react by yelling and almost going through the ceiling, the usually apologize and make sure not to do that again.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I used to have a defence against people who invaded my personal space. It was largely sub-conscious, but I did manage to kill it. When I spun around to see who was there my arm was almost always just a little bit out. The problem is that even if the six-year-old isn't supposed to be sneaking up on you, you still can't smack them in the stomach. School yard reflexes have no place when you're volunteering, and probably not when dealing with SCs.

Comment

even when not working you do not enter my personal space bubble. Most of my friends learned not to sneak up on me since I used to do heavy armored fighting with the SCA and would turn around throwing a shot. It only takes getting smacked on the side of the head once to get the picture.

When I was working at the craft store my manager let me have a little sign on my back when I was working on the floor telling people not to touch me to get my attention.
                              Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X