This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the? NO!

Seriously, if you hit "Skip Bagging", do NOT! I repeat, NOT! Proceed to put the item into a bag. Skip Bagging also doesn't mean: "I'm Ready to pay now!" Nor, "Where the hell do I put in my phone number?" Nor, "Is this how I look up the number for a prune?" It most definitely doesn't mean, "The check out's broken, it won't move on." No shit? Did you put the item in a bag on the scale? No? What do you suppose the next step is, then?
    Last edited by Imogene; 03-14-2010, 09:02 AM. Reason: Spelling, I R SMRT!
    "I call murder on that!"

Ban the self-checkouts. Those people are too dumb to be trusted with either cash, checkbooks, or any kind of cards. Even playing cards seem too dangerous for these people!
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
      Ban the self-checkouts. Those people are too dumb to be trusted with either cash, checkbooks, or any kind of cards. Even playing cards seem too dangerous for these people!
      Not fair. The people who know how to use the SCO's aren't noticed, and I like to think that we're in the majority. (Even if I had a rather slow learning curve on what is and isn't appropriate to take through one).

Comment

It's amazing how the self-checkouts have 1) A screen that tells you what to do and 2) A voice that tells you what to do. 98% of customers don't pay attention to either one and start wigging out because it's not woooooorrrrrkkkkking blargle blarg. An amazing number also get upset that something double-scanned after they checkout. Meaning they double-scanned it, yet it's somehow the employee's fault.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
          Not fair. The people who know how to use the SCO's aren't noticed, and I like to think that we're in the majority.
          Actually, I've started clapping when I notice customers in the SCO who didn't need my help to ring in produce, or didn't get stumped by the fact that they have to hit "pay now" and their tender type.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

SCO is always faster, unless there's someone else ahead of you. *headdesk*

Now, self-checkout for produce, THAT should be banned. I wouldn't even bother trying. It'll just hold up the line.
            "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I've never actually used a Self-Checkout before. What does "skip bagging" actually do, please? It doesn't inherently contain the necessary information to create the mental imagery that gets translated into action. When I imagine "skip bagging," I imagine just throwing all the things I scan directly into the shopping cart without first bagging them in plastic or paper bags to put into the shopping cart. It evokes the imagery of a seriously messy cart. D: But that's it! I must be missing something contextually critical.
              SC: "Are you new or something?"
              Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

The way I understand it (as a customer; grain of salt disclaimer), is that there's a procedure the SCOs use:

1) Start

2) Scan item

3) Place item into bag (or placed into the bagging area. There seems to be a scale in the bagging area to tell when an item is placed or removed from there)

4) Repeat from 2) until all items are scanned and 'bagged'.

5) Select payment type.

6) Complete payment.

Once this process is complete, then you can take your receipt, change, and groceries.

However, between steps 2 and 3, I've noticed it won't let you try scanning anything else until step 3 is accomplished. What the 'Skip Bagging' button tells the machine is that the item is too large or heavy to be bagged, and allows the machine to accept a Step 2 input again.

I have my own issues with self-checkouts, but they're more due to how rigid the above system is. While I understand that they don't want people only looking like they're paying, to have them walk out when the employee has their back turned, there should be a little bit of leeway for double-bagging things. As it is, the moment I try this, or my sometimes-scatterbrained old man does, the machine goes 'zOMG! Rules not being followed!' and gripes at me, or worse, calls the attendant over. It also slows me down so I can't get out of the way for the next person as fast as I'd like; double-bagging at the end makes me feel like I'm dicking around and wasting time that could be used to let those behind me get out the door faster as well.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                  When I imagine "skip bagging," I imagine just throwing all the things I scan directly into the shopping cart without first bagging them in plastic or paper bags to put into the shopping cart.
                  Yup. Skip Bagging allows you to just put the item right back into your cart. If you put it on the bagging area, you're going to alert the attendant that something's off...
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My boyfriend doesn't like talking to people (I think him being a shy, near-mute makes up for the psychotic, chatty ball of energy and outgoing that is me ) so we go to SCO's in every store that has them. The only issue we've ever had has been his credit card not swiping (strip was worn off), and me trying to buy the movie The Warriors, and needing an override because "Verifiy Customer is 18" came on the screen. The woman heading the SCO's looked at me, confirmed I wasn't a child and fixed it ASAP. Neither of those things was an actual problem with the SCO itself. And we shop a LOT. So yes, when used properly, they're a dream, for the anti-social as well as the in-a-hurry. And I am always in a hurry aha.
                    "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                      Better idea...

Don't ban self-checkouts. Instead, ban people who repeatedly make a mess of using them (not all people, some may be new to using them, or just having a bad day.)

In fact, give them a gift for making a mess of using them... a complimentary spear and transportation to Nunavut. They will eventually wise up to how to survive up there (hint: pink camo bought COD helps) and settle into their new lives. On the plus side, no more self checkouts for them!

C.

*Note: Neither the author of this post nor Customerssuck.com condone the sending of people to Nunavut to call GK in the middle of the night, no matter how funny it may be.
                      Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                        Now, self-checkout for produce, THAT should be banned. I wouldn't even bother trying. It'll just hold up the line.
                        Now hang on there. Some of us actually know how to use the input pad to log the proper produce code. I'm getting a little tired of having to give up things I like because someone else farks things up.

Although it is kind of sad that I stunned the SCO guy by ringing up my salad before he could get there to help. The code for the salad bar is posted right next to the screen, for crying out loud.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm with you, Geek King. I am quite capable of reading the little number on the sticker, hitting the "Key in Code" button, and typing the numbers. It is not my fault people are stupid, why do I have to suffer?

I just have to keep telling myself that it isn't nice to call for the extermination of a whole group of people - even if is the stupid ones.
                          "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I generally tell people at the wholesale club (at least, the ones who seem rational and sensible; alas, they are a dying breed) who have rewards checks, bottle vouchers, or are paying by check the following:

"Next time, I'd recommend going to a regular register if you have these. On self-checkout, someone has to come over and put them in for you anyway, and it takes longer on self-checkout."

Sometimes they listen. Sometimes they apparently forget. And sometimes you get Mr. I Hate Self-Checkouts, who is a special breed himself.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                            X