This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Money, No Service

I work in a mid-sized independent hotel in a vacation area. So, it being Spring Break for many people, we're starting to see a raise in guests. This is always such a double-edged sword. More people means more money and more business. But, it also means a better chance of seeing awful people. I had two cases tonight that, I'm sure, have raised my blood pressure.

***Our hotel policy is we must receive either an authorization for the full stay (or $1,000.00 whichever is lower) on a credit card or the full stay (or $1,000.00 whichever is lower) and a $250.00 deposit in cash. This is because we advertise as a smoke-free pet-free hotel and we get a lot of people with allergies and breathing difficulty. The cost to clean a room that was smoked in (or another other strange smells) is 250.00, it's not just an arbitrarily large amount.***

The First

A couple walks in, full of smiles and cheer. They ask about a room and tell me how they want to get away from our nearest Big City for the weekend. I quote a rate and they don't immediately walk away, which is a good sign. We go over room specifics and hotel amenities and then, it seems, we're all set. I've made a reservation, printed their registration card and they are pulling out their wallets. But, as soon as the cash comes out, I let them know our policy on cash.

"Just to let you know, if you are going to pay in cash only, I will need the full amount plus 250.00 for a security deposit."

Their jaws drop. It's as if I had just murdered a kitten in front of them. The cash immediately gets put away.

"Why the hell would you need all that money? Do we even get any of it back?"
    "Yes, you would get the 250.00 back after we confirm the room is in good condition and smoke-free. It's merely a safety deposit."
    "I don't get it. I want to stay here and give you my hard-earned money and that's not good enough for you, is it?"

The couple walked out of the door never to be seen again (Well, I hope anyway.)

The Second

The second guest began much like the first, in good spirits. Sadly for them, it seems my job today is dissappointing people. So, we go through the standard procedures. I am mostly through the check-in process when I hit the tinsiest little snag. His credit card is declining. I let the guest know and ask if he'd like to try another card (He already mentioned not knowing which card to put this on.) We try the second which also declines.

Guest: (While smiling still) "Well, it'll be there in the morning. It just takes a while to go through, you know?"
    Me: "I'm sorry sir, I really must get an authorization before I can check you in."
    Guest: "Well, what am I supposed to do?"
    Me: "Do you have any other forms of payment?"

The guest begins pulling cash out of his pocket. Now he's pissed and I know that nothing good can happen from this point on.

Me: "Just to let you know, with cash we do need to have an additional 250.00 for a security deposit."
    Guest: "You've gotta be kidding me! If I had known all this, I wouldn't have made the reservations. They should have told me on the phone before I left my house 3 hours ago."
    Me: "I'm very sorry sir. This is just standard procedure for us."
    Guest: "Ok, well let me get my parents on the phone and they can give you their card. (By the way, the guy has to be at least 40 with his own kids and wife waiting)"
    Me: "Alright, if we're using their card I can fax them over our credit card authorization form and we'll just need a copy front and back of their credit card and ID"
    Guest: "No f***ing way! This is ridiculous!"

Another minute is spent by the guest randomly either cussing or blaming us while pounding his fist on the counter. I'm standing their, smiliing, genuinely concerned that this will escalate into him getting physical. Then, he grabs all his things and walks out saying he will be back.

After he left I went through everything in my mind. The guest was upset because 1.) We didn't tell him over the phone that he would need money to stay here. And 2.) That I didn't trust him that he had money after his credit cards all declined. This is one of those cases when you sort of hope the guest will complain to your supervisors because the claims are so laughingly strange, nobody will take him seriously.

This is one of those cases when you sort of hope the guest will complain to your supervisors because the claims are so laughingly strange, nobody will take him seriously.
    Ah, but in the version he'll tell, only one card declined and you cussed him out over it and wouldn't accept the cash.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Lostfiniel View Post
      2.) That I didn't trust him that he had money after his credit cards all declined.
      "But you can trust MEEEE!!! I'm an honest guy!!!"

For some reason, I've never felt comfortable trusting someone who has to tell you that you can trust them. Call it a thing...
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

If you are going on vacation, and you are sorting through your stack of credit cards trying to figure out which one is not completely maxed out, you have a serious problem.

I've never been able to figure out why so many otherwise intelligent people (including many of my own family members, friends, co-workers who earn at least $40/hr, etc.) are so stupid with debt management. It just isn't that hard to understand... If you spend money you don't have, the bank is going to want to be paid for that service; this can be a pittance (prime fixed mortgage), or a fortune (credit cards.) If you routinely pile anything you want on a credit card, eventually the bank is either going to stop lending you money, or you will run out of money to pay them.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/satur...dont-buy-stuff

SirWired
        (who is swerving dangerously close to Fratching, even though his post is related to the SC's problem, but will humbly accept his lumps if hit with the ModHammer.)

Comment

Guest: "Ok, well let me get my parents on the phone and they can give you their card. (By the way, the guy has to be at least 40 with his own kids and wife waiting)"
          Me: "Alright, if we're using their card I can fax them over our credit card authorization form and we'll just need a copy front and back of their credit card and ID"
          Guest: "No f***ing way! This is ridiculous!"
          This is SOP at every place I know, including my motel, yet people say "that's so ridiculous! Every other place does it!"

Where is this mythical every other place? 'Cause I've contacted every place in the county, plus a couple places the next county over, from the very ritzy to the shady scary places, trying to find a place to do that for a guest, and they've all said the same thing.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            This is SOP at every place I know, including my motel, yet people say "that's so ridiculous! Every other place does it!"

Where is this mythical every other place? 'Cause I've contacted every place in the county, plus a couple places the next county over, from the very ritzy to the shady scary places, trying to find a place to do that for a guest, and they've all said the same thing.
            Same thing here. Every summer it seems like we get these people. We don't see it as often in the slow season. But seriously, you kind of have to have money to pay for your room. If we did this all on the honor system, who do you think will come out ahead?

Comment

Every time I have stayed in a hotel, I am smart enough to realize WITHOUT asking that they want to have a way to recoup the costs from damage. Duh.

I simply give them a credit card that actually works, no damage no unexpected charges. Yet so many people can't understand this.

Comment

Same thing here. Every summer it seems like we get these people. We don't see it as often in the slow season. But seriously, you kind of have to have money to pay for your room. If we did this all on the honor system, who do you think will come out ahead?
                The people without any honor, who do you think?

Comment

Working...
                X