Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's 9 in the morning, please go away.

I'm usually a nightshifter at the v-store. Wednesdays, however, I get to mess over my (admittedly horrible, if you notice, all my posts on here happen between 3 and 5 in the morning) sleep schedule to work 9-6. Dayshift is actually a bit of a joy - all busy-work, no customers! I pop a DVD of Friends on, and get my work done. People are in and out throughout the day with returns, but no one actually stays to look. I might pull in $200 in that 9 hours.

When I first get here, I have to run in, disable the alarm, then wander around opening doors, turning lights on, flipping signs around, etc. Today, I get here at 9 sharp (I'm usually early but my drive showed up late), I rush in, disable the alarm, and haven't even turned the lights on when a woman comes in. I greet her (not showing how annoyed I am), and start trying to get my work done.

AC: annoying customer
    M: hey there

AC: Excuse me, do you have Fresh Prince of Bel Air?
    M(she had just wandered around our TV on DVD section for 10 minutes): Nope, sorry, we don't carry any seasons of that.
    SC: Really?
    M: Yes, really. Sorry about that.
    AC: Can you check the computer?
    M (note that our store is not big. Our tv section is like... 3 racks. I have worked here for 9 months and know every inch of the store and what we carry): I promise you, we don't have it.
    AC: But the computer will know.
    M: Okay. *starts typing* Yep, we definitely don't have it.
    AC: But like... really?
    M: YES, SORRY ABOUT THAT.

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU NEED A TV SHOW AT 9 IN THE MORNING, WOMAN?? DID YOU KNOW THEY PLAY RE-RUNS ON CHANNEL 45 EVERY AFTERNOON?? It bugs me SO MUCH when people come in first thing when they know I'm trying to set up, we open that early mainly as a convenience for returns, but to then badger me and not believe my answers? Jeebus. It's only 10:49AM right now, this is going to be a fun day.
    "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Ah yes, the good ol "the computer knows all and the employee knows nothing" method. Gotta love it.

Comment

That reminds me of the woman that was literally screaming at me about how we didn't have her size, and how it was "just here yesterday" Yup. and we probably sold it. Anyway, so I offered to call another store and have it sent in, or maybe she could go pick it up (some of our other stores are pretty close) Nope. Still not good enough. She tells me to go to the back and get it...(ha! yes, the "magical backroom of everything") Well, I was having a shit-tastic day, so I told her to follow me (yelling at me the whole way)
      Took her back there, my boss was like wtf? I started opening boxes, as she got snotty and said "see, you have stuff back here" Yeah, check this out boxes, and boxes of hangers, and shopping bags, we are talking like 50 boxes. I opened them all. And just said "nope, nothing here." She proceeded to say that we should have called her that someone was buying "her blouse" and she would have come down and gotten it. 3 days later we got another shipment of the hideous things...called her, and she said to hold it, and we did, but she deceided to go to one of our other stores to get it as it was more convenient.

Sorry...continue on
      Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
        That reminds me of the woman that was literally screaming at me about how we didn't have her size, and how it was "just here yesterday" Yup. and we probably sold it. Anyway, so I offered to call another store and have it sent in, or maybe she could go pick it up (some of our other stores are pretty close) Nope. Still not good enough. She tells me to go to the back and get it...(ha! yes, the "magical backroom of everything") Well, I was having a shit-tastic day, so I told her to follow me (yelling at me the whole way)
        Took her back there, my boss was like wtf? I started opening boxes, as she got snotty and said "see, you have stuff back here" Yeah, check this out boxes, and boxes of hangers, and shopping bags, we are talking like 50 boxes. I opened them all. And just said "nope, nothing here." She proceeded to say that we should have called her that someone was buying "her blouse" and she would have come down and gotten it. 3 days later we got another shipment of the hideous things...called her, and she said to hold it, and we did, but she deceided to go to one of our other stores to get it as it was more convenient.

Sorry...continue on
        Oh, before this, I worked at WalMart.

I know alllllllllllllllllllllll about the magical back room. But unlike the customers, I also know about the not-so-magical stock truck that comes in around 10PM and that its contents are put out over night. If we don't have it, WE DON'T HAVE IT!!!

EDIT: I am yelling so much today. I think it's because I'm here in the daytime and waking up before noon = very cranky vstorevigilante.
        Last edited by vstorevigilante; 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM. Reason: Adding a footnote apologising for how angry I am today!
        "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
          That reminds me of the woman that was literally screaming at me about how we didn't have her size, and how it was "just here yesterday" ....
          My response to that comment would have been "then you should have bought it yesterday when you saw it"

Also, as fond as I was of the young Will Smith, there is nothing I can think of that would require my having his DVD's at 9am in the morning. Sheesh!!!!

Damn!!!! I now have the theme song stuck in my head.........
          "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
          "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
          "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
            Also, as fond as I was of the young Will Smith, there is nothing I can think of that would require my having his DVD's at 9am in the morning. all. Sheesh!!!!
            Fixed that for ya

Had I been in your shoes, I would have been quite tempted to show her the computer screen (bonus points if it was turned off at the time) while I was "typing in the search query"...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Heh. "Back Room." Reminds me of This Bash Quote.

... er ... whoops, I mean This one.
              SC: "Are you new or something?"
              Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

That's about like the hearing initiated calls I get on the toll free number (we allow hearing users to call us toll free and then give us the local number of the person they are calling), that when I ask for the number of the person they are trying to reach, they'll give me a number that isn't registered and will always ask the same question, "are you sure that isn't one of your numbers?"
                Umm... I just checked it against our autoconnect system and the manual profile database... that number does not exist in either. Yes there is a 24 hour waiting period for numbers to be assigned to a new user before they are finished being updated into the system... there's also a 24 hour waiting period before the new user is informed of their number... so I'd really love to know how you got that number if it truly is a case of a number for an account less than 24 hours old.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've had this sort of thing happen at the wholesale club. People don't believe me when I tell them "No, we don't have that." They ask if I'm sure, and tell them yes, I'm sure, I've worked here almost nine years, I have a pretty good idea of what kinds of things we carry, and we've never stocked that particular item.

They'll ask if we have stuff "in the back," and I just tell them "we don't keep backstock in the back. It's up there in the steel." "So get a forklift?" "We don't have a forklift driver in the club at the moment. Talk to member services, they can put it on the drop list and have it ready in the morning." But of course, that's not good enough, they don't want to make the extra trip... :sigh:
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X