This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I couldn't cram much more suck into this one if I wanted to

Behold the sorry saga of the gentleman and his PS3....

Part 1: Guy buys a PS3 with a warranty and several games from employee A. About two weeks later he comes back in, the PS3 has obviously been damaged and he wants a replacement, not a problem. A week later he comes back again for the same reason, his PS3 is damaged and he wants a new one (does he live with a pack of wolves or something? Who trashes 2 PS3s that fast??) Unfortunately he's missing a component (power cable) and we need the whole thing to do an exchange. The other problem with the exchange is that we have no PS3s at the moment.

Part 2: Guy comes back a couple of days later, with the component, but we still don't have any PS3s. Guy throws a fit and demands a refund. Employee B says we can't do that on opened systems because of our store policy. SC goes on long tirade about how our store sucks and Sony apparently makes "Crap products." Demands to speak to manager. Employee B says manager isn't in until tomorrow.

Part 3: SC comes back again and speaks to the manager. Manager tells him he can't get a refund but he'll try to get him another PS3 from one of our other stores. No PS3s to be found. Guy throws another fit and again demands a refund, manager says no dice.

Part 4: Guy comes back again (Damn he's persistent) and speaks to me. He says he wants a refund on the stuff. If he was expecting a different answer from me, he's not going to get it. So I go get the manager and again he and SC have a long go-round about how he can't get a refund and our policies are stupid and how the manager is being totally unreasonable and how our company is evil. He ends up storming out with nothing. The only offer made by us was for him to wait on a replacement or take a used system and we'd give him the difference back. He completely refused either of these options.

Part 5: This is the grand finale, of sorts. Guy returns AGAIN and shows up at the store an hour early, waiting in the parking lot for us to open. At ten minutes to opening he starts shaking the handles of the doors.

When we finally do open, he comes in and tells Employee B that the manager approved his refund. At this point I step in because I remember the prior interaction and I know that is not true. I call my manager and verify that, in fact, nothing has changed. The SC then demands to speak to my manager over the phone. They proceed to have yet another "refund/policy" smackdown that again the SC fails in winning.

SC decides to up the ante after getting off the phone with my manager and call corporate (oh no...I'm so scared! ). Corporate tells him he can get store credit he can then use to buy a different console (I.E. not a PS3). This is a flexing of policy but it's reasonable enough. So he decides to buy a 360 instead. I thought that was the end of it but no...

...if that were the case this story wouldn't be quite sucky enough!

When I go to put the balance (because there's a price difference between the systems) on a gift card he flips out yet again because he wanted CASH for the difference. Buddy, how many times must you hear "NO REFUND" before you get a clue??

He asks me to call my manager back which I reluctantly do, after yet another go-round we end up with the same options we had before: Wait for a new PS3, swap for a used one or get store credit towards something else but NO REFUND.

He's still pissed and now wants to take it to the Regional Manager to get a refund!

I should also mention we've had other customers in the store while all this is going on and SC is badmouthing our company to practically anyone that comes in the door.

So I give him my Regional Manager's office number and warn him it goes to a voicemail. It ALWAYS goes to a voicemail. He doesn't want to talk to a damned voicemail. He ups the ante again and says he's going to take this to his lawyer if we don't resolve it right then and there.

I should have given him the number for Legal and told him I could no longer speak with him, but he seemed like the type who would stay in the store all day if necessary and it appeared as though he might somewhat disruptive if he did so.

He disappears for a few minutes and reappears, finally willing to accept store credit. But he doesn't want a 360 or anything else, he just wants the credit. So I put the credit on a card for him and he's gone.

A little while later a customer hands me a gift card that has the EXACT same balance as the one I did for SC earlier....odd.

"Where'd you get this?" I asked. The response:

"Some guy in the parking lot sold it to me for $225"

The card had just over $300 on it so I guess the guy was willing to take a loss on it just to get some cash in his pocket and be done dealing with us.

This guy gave us about three SCs worth of grief in one package, thank god folks like him are few and far between.
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 03-26-2010, 03:37 AM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Wow that guy wanted cash bad.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I feel bad for that customer who bought the gift card from the SC. What if he was one of those scammer people? Even if he had the receipt showing the balance and time and date it was put on. I'd still be very weary.

The whole time I was thinking "Well, maybe he could just ask for store credit?" since he couldn't get cash and no PS3's were available. But he didn't want that credit at all.

It does sound a bit suspicious to me, but he could just be a crazy guy. Sucks your store had to deal with him.

Comment

Sounds to me like he put himself in a financial pickle and needed money quick so smashes his PS3 knowing it's on a warranty and then expecting that the shop will give in and give him a refund.

The only other thing I can think of is that he wanted to "rent" the console to play a specific game and then return it when he finished.
        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Hmm...I've got a theory.

Señor Douchebag buys a PS3, then goes online to eBay or CraigsList to acquire a broken PS3 for cheap. He then returns the broken one to the store and gets a new PS3. Repeat once. He then tries it again, but a wrench is thrown into his plans; the store is out of PS3s (due to Sony's unfortunate shortage).

Let's see.

New PS3 120GB at big box retailer = $299.99
          Broken PS3 online = approximately $100.00
          New PS3 online (through places like CL) = much more than $300

So, he shells out $400 up front to start a "business" based on defrauding the big box. Unfortunately, the well ran dry.

I'm just theorizing, though.
          Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

You may be theorizing, TCE, but I was having the same exact sort of thoughts.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think they have a serial on em to prevent that crap. I know DSes and Wiis do.
              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

some of those scammers are actually pretty smart: they open the cases of both systems (or more likely controller), swap the guts, and then return it. serial number on the system will match, although the mac address won't. if they're really good, they can even get the warranty sticker back on
                To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Maybe the guy has a drug problem, and that's why he was so intent on receiving cash rather than credit.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    You may be theorizing, TCE, but I was having the same exact sort of thoughts.

^-.-^
                    I'm with you on that one. Probably a scammer.
                    http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                    Melody Gardot

Comment

Another thing I'd like to know is who the hell would buy a gift card from a stranger in the parking lot?!!! How does he know the card has the amount on it that the idiot told him?
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Since he didn't actually say it, on the bright side, he sounds fed up to "never shop with you again!"
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                          Another thing I'd like to know is who the hell would buy a gift card from a stranger in the parking lot?!!! How does he know the card has the amount on it that the idiot told him?
                          The same people who buy into Ponzi schemes, and Nigerian scams, and pyramid scams, and chain letters.

In other words, a whole hell of a lot of people.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                            Sounds to me like he put himself in a financial pickle and needed money quick so smashes his PS3 knowing it's on a warranty and then expecting that the shop will give in and give him a refund.

The only other thing I can think of is that he wanted to "rent" the console to play a specific game and then return it when he finished.
                            This is the main reason we do not allow returns on opened new hardware. Used yes, because if it was bought used to begin with, the fact it has now been used a little more doesn't really change anything.

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                            Since he didn't actually say it, on the bright side, he sounds fed up to "never shop with you again!"
                            Actually he did say that.

But I figured it was self evident from the story he never wanted anything to do with us again that I didn't mention it.
                            Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM.
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              At ten minutes to opening he starts shaking the handles of the doors.
                              *CC dials 911 (or equivalent)*

911:"911, What is you emergency?
                              CC:"I'm an employee at [Store], we're preparing to open in about ten minutes, and there is a man violently yanking on our front doors...."

Mike

ETA: I don't suggest or condone making frivolous calls to emergency numbers, but it would be in the realm of possibility a guy with anger issues could have been violent once let in.
                              Last edited by JustaCashier; 03-27-2010, 01:15 AM. Reason: Disclaimer
                              Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                              X