This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its worse than ASDA here!!

Well last week has got to be listed as the worst time of my working life. Filled with stress and problems. Last Sunday in particular was however the worst day it was riddled with problems. So lets start shall we.

Key

SC=Sucky Customer
    Me=Me obviously

The money

Weekends are the only time we will not recieve cash from securicor and minimals are kept in store. And I was placed onto a till which had £36.78 on it at start of day. This made it impossible to make change and provide cash back. I usually start with a till which has £200-450. So two stories relating to this:

A customer has come to me with a couple of stationary items which totalled to 98pence.

Me: Hi sir. [welcome spiel and required questions]
    SC: No hurry up
    Me: 98p sir
    SC: Hands me a £100 note. i am strictly not allowed to deny any note if the word Sterling is written upon it. So take into acount my lack or change and the stupidly large ammount of note for such a small purchase (especially when i see pound coins in his hand).
    Me: Sir you'll have to wait a few minutes I require a superviser to get me appropriate change and also to approve the note.
    SC: Starts a lot of swearing. And begins bitching to his wife. Followed by his I just used a £100 note in ASDA for the purchqase of my shopping.
    Me: How much did you spend in ASDA sir?
    SC: £150
    Me: Thats why sir the note was reasonable for the purchase.
    SC: Begins swearing again.
    Superviser appears gives change (after 10 minutes of searching tills to get me change).
    Me: here your change sir. I had to give him a series of coins and small notes. I apoligse for this.
    SC: Begins swearing again saying it is inadequate that we only have that. We should have had £50 notes and £20 for him.

End of story one

The bitch

Me: Standard spiel etc.
    SC: Where the fuckl are you bags? get them on your counter?
    Me: of couse miss if you give me two seconds I am not allowed them on the counter.
    SC: just hurryt he fuck up.
    Me: No problem heres your bags. Oh you will ahve to wait two minutes this product has no bar code.
    SC: It only 5p (customer had handed me an item worth £30 from Home and Living). Just put it in.
    Me: I am sorry but I can not as the bar code must be required to maintiasn the stock file and ensure that you pay the correct ammount.
    SC: Well just move your asses.
    Me: Calls superviser. Superviser arrives and will take about 5 minutes to find product return.
    Me: there you go.
    SC: This service is terrible I had to wait in a queue for this? You are all fucking useless!! Why do I bother even coming here? She begins thwoing shoppiong at mne. You better make sure you place those codes on your shit next time. I am never coming here again. Walks away not paying.
    Me: hmmm person A make sure she gets out with minimal distruption please.
    SC: I want to complainagainst him me and person A. She gets complaint form and head opffice number.

Why was I complained about? For following the SOP and for us not having bar code. Not my fault. luckily for her she placed a complaint form with her real deatils. Due to the abuse she gave me the company and I passed information onto the police. Need to see she wont be back in again!

I am 15

A customer has come up with a DVD rated 15 so i ask for ID as the girl looks just a bit younger. I was superviser on duty during this and due to this suty manager.

Me: I am sorry i require ID before I can sell this to you.
    SC: i am 15.
    Me: I'm sorry but I need ID.
    SC: Why would I carry ID to prove my age? Sell me it NOW!!!
    Me: No I can;'t sell it to you.
    SC: get me your boss.
    Me: i can;t I am the duty manager. I am following the law and procedures.

SC storms off shouting. Two minutes later a call is put out for duty manager. I appear at deska nd am told a customer wnats to know why she can't be sold a DVD for a 15 year old if she says shes 15. I appear and she walks away.

I have others but this is possibly the best three i have.

Sorry, but I had trouble understanding...did she shoplift in the second story, or did you stop her before she did?

Comment

Yeah - I see that she walked away without paying, but did she take anything with her?
      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Probably just banned from the store, also, depending on the stores policy about harrassing staff etc etc.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth C-130 View Post
          SC: Begins swearing again saying it is inadequate that we only have that. We should have had £50 notes and £20 for him.
          Had someone complain that we should have had change for a fifty pound note for him. I explained that we get them maybe four times a year and the boss had just taken the takings to the bank, so we didn't have much more than a float in the till.

However, as the son of the boss I kept a supply of my own money in the back for change. He ended up with two bags of twenty pound coins.

"Haven't you got anything more convenient?"

Heh. Not a trace of irony.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth C-130 View Post
            A customer has come up with a DVD rated 15 so i ask for ID as the girl looks just a bit younger. I was superviser on duty during this and due to this suty manager.
            Not trying to say that you/your store is horrible for asking for this, but is there ID that a 15-year-old is likely to carry? Around here most people don't have legal ID until they start to drive or are old enough to get one of the booze and cancer stick cards (19). The new health cards show age, but if you're young there's no picture, and no one is obligated to accept it, so most organisations that require proof of age provide an internal one.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            Had someone complain that we should have had change for a fifty pound note for him.

However, as the son of the boss I kept a supply of my own money in the back for change. He ended up with two bags of twenty pound coins.
            Looking at the bolded bits, is my math off, did the guy get a really good deal from you, or is there something here that I'm missing?

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
              Not trying to say that you/your store is horrible for asking for this, but is there ID that a 15-year-old is likely to carry? Around here most people don't have legal ID until they start to drive or are old enough to get one of the booze and cancer stick cards (19). The new health cards show age, but if you're young there's no picture, and no one is obligated to accept it, so most organisations that require proof of age provide an internal one.

Looking at the bolded bits, is my math off, did the guy get a really good deal from you, or is there something here that I'm missing?
              A standard bag of pound coins holds £20. So the SC got £40 of pound coins plus whatever other change was owed.

Question for the OP's first customer. Where the he'll do you get a £100 note? I thought the largest denomination from the Bank of England was £50?

Comment

Quoth Bunny the Veggie Slayer View Post
                A standard bag of pound coins holds £20. So the SC got £40 of pound coins plus whatever other change was owed.

Question for the OP's first customer. Where the he'll do you get a £100 note? I thought the largest denomination from the Bank of England was £50?
                Sorry, I was thinking in terms of coins worth £20. I have no clue what you've got in notes and what you have in coins there.

Comment

That thing about not being allowed to refuse a stirling note blows my mind. Is this a store policy or some odd UK money law?

I can only imagine the uproar (and sharp increase in posts on this forum!) if the U.S. had a mandate that stores COULD NOT refuse to take $50 or $100 bills in any circumstance.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I've seen a Scottish £100 note before. Over here the major supermarkets will take both English and Scottish notes.

In the second story it looks like she left the store in a strop without buying anything.

Comment

I've never seen a £100 note!
                      LOL been a long time since I saw a £50 note

Many years ago I used to get one in my wage packet every week.. I always used to get a co-worker to change it into smaller notes for me... then get the same £50 back the next week. Went on for a while til the bosses decided they'd be better off just banking it
                      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I used to love scottish pound notes for some reason
                        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Where the he'll do you get a £100 note? I thought the largest denomination from the Bank of England was £50?
                          You're correct - however the Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale banks all produce a £100 note, as do three of the Northern Ireland banks (Bank of Ireland, First Trust and Northern Bank).
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Most children in Scotland the UK will revieve some form of ID at around the age of 13. In Scotland it is your young scot card which all children have. And it is a valid form of ID no matter your age.

That thing about not being allowed to refuse a stirling note blows my mind. Is this a store policy or some odd UK money law?

I can only imagine the uproar (and sharp increase in posts on this forum!) if the U.S. had a mandate that stores COULD NOT refuse to take $50 or $100 bills in any circumstance.
                            In fact it is a misconstruded acceptance in the UK. The only legal currency by law is money which states sterling and is bank of england issued. The RBA, HBOS and other banks who print money do sow ith the blessing of the Bank of England but at no point is it legal currency. It is just it is such wide circulationa dn available so easily and from so many banks it is accepted. For instance Bank of northern ireland money is really weird lookign and raises suspicions whenever I see it. In ym work and many others in order to avoid confrontation we will accept a note if it states pound sterling on it plus its demonination of pound.

I quite regularly see and have £50 or £100 notes. Usually to pay for large purchases where my card wont be accepted or to pay rent when the landlord wont accept direct debit.

Comment

Quoth C-130 View Post
                              In fact it is a misconstruded acceptance in the UK. The only legal currency by law is money which states sterling and is bank of england issued. The RBA, HBOS and other banks who print money do sow ith the blessing of the Bank of England but at no point is it legal currency. It is just it is such wide circulationa dn available so easily and from so many banks it is accepted. For instance Bank of northern ireland money is really weird lookign and raises suspicions whenever I see it. In ym work and many others in order to avoid confrontation we will accept a note if it states pound sterling on it plus its demonination of pound.

I quite regularly see and have £50 or £100 notes. Usually to pay for large purchases where my card wont be accepted or to pay rent when the landlord wont accept direct debit.
                              Depends what you mean by "legal" currency.

You can trade with anything you want. Any bank or post office will always take the scottish notes etc.

But the currency as named above should be accepted towards a debt. Refusing it as payment towards a debt would pretty much make it impossible to later collect on the debt. To that extent it must be accepted.

However a shop can refuse payment if it wants because it isn't towards payment of a debt. The contract is being entered into at the point the money changes hands and the shop can refuse for any reason (that isn't discrimination).

So - shop policy in this instance.

Victoria J

Comment

Working...
                              X