This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Room Woes

Has anyone ever had to work the bottle room/redemption center at your local grocery store? As a bagger at our Hannaford working the bottle room was a part of the job description. No matter how busy it was, no matter how low the foyer was on carts, you had to stop what you were doing and go and ring up the bottle order.

What sucked, is that it was done by computer, for inventory purposes. You had to literally scan each bottle or can one at a time (unless you had a bunch of the same kind and could just scan one and times it by however many there were) and if they had fifteen different kinds of cans and bottles it could take forever. Then of course after you totalled it up and it spit out the receipt and handed it to them they would claim you added wrong, and there was nothing you could do about it at that point because you'd already tossed the bottles and cans into the bins. So many people would claim they should have $10.00 instead of the 7 that the computer claimed.

And of course, per policy we were not supposed to be allowed to accept dirty, sticky, or half full cans or bottles. But you know how that goes. Manager says refuse them, so you refuse them. Customer pitches a fit, manager makes you look like an idiot by saying you have to accept them.

By far the worst though, was changing the glass bottle barrels out. UGH UGH UGH, they were so heavy, and rusty and I got so many blood blisters trying to pry open the lids on the empty ones to put them behind the crushing machines. Crushing the glass was fun, feeding the bottles into the machine, but when they were full it was a nightmare. Especially trying to change them when the bottle bell would keep ringing.

Owie owie owie! *puts bandaids on your hands and gets cookies*

While that all sucks the big one, I'm shocked some one has a Hannaford, or even knows what a Hannaford is.

My brother does that with beer cans, I'm sorry to say. He'll throw a huge party, round up all the cans, and try to turn them all in without checking if they are full or sticky.
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

Isn't Hannaford a New England chain? Yes, I have it; but luckily we don't do bottle returns in my state.
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
        Isn't Hannaford a New England chain? Yes, I have it; but luckily we don't do bottle returns in my state.
        It is. There are 173 Hannaford stores located in the New England region of the US. They can be found in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont and New York.

Although the chain originally began in Portland, Maine, they were acquired by a Belgian corporation known as Delhaize Group, which owns several other chains including Food Lion, Sweetbay, Harvey's , Bloom and Bottom Dollar and a small SC regional chain known as Reid's.

Three guesses as to how I know so much . . .first two don't count.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Alyssie View Post
          ... they were so heavy, and rusty and I got so many blood blisters trying to pry open the lids on the empty ones ...
          Do I hear the makings of a worker's compensation/OSHA case? Getting your hands cut open on rusty, dirty barrels sounds like an unsafe work environment to me.
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I worked at one in Damariscotta Maine. Luckily I haven't worked there in about six years LOL this website brings it all back though.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              Do I hear the makings of a worker's compensation/OSHA case? Getting your hands cut open on rusty, dirty barrels sounds like an unsafe work environment to me.
              Can you say "tetanus"? How about "lockjaw"?
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                How about "lockjaw"?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockjaw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	2029516

What about him?
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X