Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But I've been this band member's girlfriend for YEARS!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I've been this band member's girlfriend for YEARS!

Had to share this one. This was a particular story from last Saturday that stuck out in my mind. It's Fiesta Week this week, so I might have some damn good ones on Monday. (Sunday's out; I know I'm gonna be brainfry when I get home Sunday morning.)

Scenario: Three bands playing that night, and one of them is one of the longest-playing bands in the city. One of the members has a girlfriend who looks, carries herself and talks like she's severely out of place for anything but a high-class bar, and for years, she'd been getting in for free simply by riding this musician's coattails. Last year, we switched promotional companies (they set up the shows for the weekends for us), and a firm 'no guests' policy was put into place. We've had arguments in the past because of this, but about 92% of the time, the girlfriend/wife/whatever pays. 87% of that group pays after the 'he'll get the money back' argument. This SC in particular is also known for claiming that the goldish liquid in her cup was just water, even though our water is clear, and the only drink I know of that ends up that color is a bourbon & 7.

I overheard a chunk of the argument, which lasted WELL into our clean-up time. "Pro" is our promoter, "SC" is... you know. And the conversation is paraphrased, simply because I don't remember it word-for-word, just the gists of how it went.

SC: "Now, we've been playing for years and I've never had to pay to get in. You guys should know me by now!"
    Pro: "I know that, but a lot of the bands in the past have tried to get as many peop--"
    SC: "Well, you need to stop that rule because I can't get in for free anymore."
    Pro: "In order for your boyfriend's band to get back the money they would've lost for getting you in, they'd need to bring three paying customers in. We can't just--"
    SC: "Well, that's not fair! Just because you--"

I walked away at this point. I'd left my aspirin at home and felt a headache coming on.

Seriously, she was kicking up a massive hissyfit over paying a five dollar cover charge? It wasn't even an economy argument, it was just 'I'm his girlfriend, you should let me in because we're a big-name band!" Even staff has to get the promoter's permission to get people in for free. My girlfriend has no problem with paying to get in, and if she really wants to see one of the bands, I'll ask the promoter to waive her cover. If he says 'no,' she pays and still enjoys herself. Why should this girl get special treatment? Oy.
    My other car is a Mackinaw.

She should read the book "I'm With The Band".

Band member girlfriend = slut in that book.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

This is why bands have passes. They give the passes to the people who are with them and work for them and there should be no questions asked. If she is suppose to be there with the band, they need to get her a pass to do so.
      Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
        This is why bands have passes. They give the passes to the people who are with them and work for them and there should be no questions asked. If she is suppose to be there with the band, they need to get her a pass to do so.
        Very good point. I'm gonna talk to the promoter tomorrow night when I come in and pass the idea to him and see what he thinks. It might not fly, though; most of the bands that come in don't even bother with the passes and try to rely on pure star power. And for the most part, it's usually a band that's only been playing clubs and bars for a couple months, tops.

Comment

When they sign their contracts, the promoter can always give them a limited number of passes, usually ones worn around the neck.
          And make it part of the contract: no pass, no entry. Boo hoo for you.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
            Had to share this one. This was a particular story from last Saturday that stuck out in my mind. It's Fiesta Week this week, so I might have some damn good ones on Monday. (Sunday's out; I know I'm gonna be brainfry when I get home Sunday morning.)
            Fiesta isn't until next week.

Glad to see a fellow 210-er

ed: I'm not up on local bands, who is it?
            Last edited by Hobbs; 04-09-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
              Fiesta isn't until next week.

Glad to see a fellow 210-er

ed: I'm not up on local bands, who is it?
              ...is it? Maybe it's my sense of dread. I won't mention what band it was with the diva girlfriend, but a comic book character comes to mind. That's all I can say without getting in trouble.

Comment

Quoth Blueberry View Post
                When they sign their contracts, the promoter can always give them a limited number of passes, usually ones worn around the neck.
                And make it part of the contract: no pass, no entry. Boo hoo for you.
                That's true as well. I did a few shows in places where the promoters provided the passes.
                Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                  ...is it? Maybe it's my sense of dread. I won't mention what band it was with the diva girlfriend, but a comic book character comes to mind. That's all I can say without getting in trouble.
                  Well, that clue still doesn't mean anything to me, so I'll just drop it.

Yeah, technically it doesn't start til Sunday, or maybe this Saturday. All I know is, Fiesta is the week with the Battle of Flowers.

Comment

Fiesta is longer than a week. 10 days maybe? I just remember that there were two weekends involved.

I miss Fiesta.

Comment

Because she is a special fucking snowflake..... that is why.

*cough*
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

Ughh. I am dreading Fiesta!

But hey, 210 represent! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X