X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But your one of them!

Me: Welcome to <My Company> you're speaking with <Me>
    SC: Yes I have a problem with my bill blah blah explains problem
    Me: Ok, you've called sales. For a billing problem, you need to speak to billing.
    SC: Are they overseas?
    Me: yes
    SC: (All theatrical) oh WHY do you do that?
    Me:... Do what?
    SC: Why do you have callcentres overseas?
    Me: I'm not sure exactly why, I assume it's to do with cost.
    SC: Well I don't want to speak to a foreigner. I want you to fix this.
    Me: I don't know how to fix it. Billing are the only ones who can help you.
    SC: but they DONT help. All they do is frustrate you and make you cry!

Blah blah rinse lather and repeat. Now, this just sounds like every day racist suckiness, yes? No. What made her extra sucky, was that she, herself, was a foreigner. Complete with the thick accent that requires me to ask her to repeat at least every second sentence. And the kicker? Neither of us ever specified a country. Her beef was with ALL foreigners, so I can only assume that includes herself.

Dickhead.

Ow. Powerful stupid is...... powerful.
    *goes to find aspirin* Anyone else need any.....?
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I have to say I really struggle with overseas call centres, because I am partially deaf and understanding accented people is extremly difficult.

I also have trouble with local call centres when the staff have strong accents, like the Irish lady who I dealt with today.

So I can understand the frustration.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Most overseas callcenters have at least 1 or 2 native english speakers. In my call center, theres about 20 callers, and 3 of them, including myself are native english speakers.

Still, she didn't have to be so rude. What an idiot.

*eagerly holds hand out for aspirin*
        Sucky Customers- Have the ability to convert non-drinkers into raging alcoholics in one phone call or less.

Comment

I guess I'm going against the grain - I LURVE accents. One of our customers has a thick Irish accent, and I could listen to him talk AAAAAALL day *swoon*
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Meh, I don't mind as long as they're polite and actually trying to help me, I remember helping one guy in India with his pronunciation. (He couldn't say "technical," but seemed very happy after I helped him with it).
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              I guess I'm going against the grain - I LURVE accents. One of our customers has a thick Irish accent, and I could listen to him talk AAAAAALL day *swoon*
              I love accents, too, including Indian ones.

I don't love heavy accents, an imperfect grasp of the language, and often inadequate training when I'm trying to get a problem fixed. I know that not all outsourced call centers are like that (witness Gk's workplace), but Earthlink, for example, is a poster child for everything that's wrong with outsourced customer service. My favorite thing they'd do was if you asked to speak to anyone other than the rep that had been helping you, they'd put you on hold and then drop the call. Every. single. time.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I don't love heavy accents, an imperfect grasp of the language, and often inadequate training when I'm trying to get a problem fixed.
                Grrrrr, yes that's one of my pet peeves too. Perhaps 9 or 10 years ago I had to talk to a company who had outsourced their callcenter. The agent barely spoke German, I mean when I call a German company's callcenter I expect to speak German. I couldn't get her to understand my problem, so I asked if she spoke english, luckily she did (she sounded like a native speaker) and finally I was able to get my problem solved. After that I asked to speak to a supervisor to complain.
                I don't mind, if they have a light accent and perhaps make some grammar mistakes as long as they understand me and I understand them, but this was clearly not acceptable.
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Am I the only one who's first thought on reading the title was

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!

On the other side, uh, I can read your avatar's first word WouldYouLikeToBuyAPhone?, but not the line under it. What's it say?
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                    On the other side, uh, I can read your avatar's first word WouldYouLikeToBuyAPhone?, but not the line under it. What's it say?
                    Here's a shot of the demotivational in question:
                    http://n1.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/7240...ter13_1_vw.jpg

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Accents are lovely things. I love lots of them. I have one myself.
                      It was the SC's attitude that got me, though. Grah.
                      Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 04-10-2010, 01:25 AM. Reason: apostrophes are my friend...really!
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                        Accents are lovely things. I love lots of them. I have one myself.
                        It was the SC's attitude that got me, though. Grah.
                        Funny how the topic turned to the subject of accents, because when I read the title of I sort of heard it in the voice of Alan Rickman pretending to be one of the hostages in "Die Hard" (That's pretty tricky with that accent. You oughta be on f***ing TV with that accent.)

Comment

Quoth Zeddmore View Post
                          ... when I read the title of I sort of heard it in the voice of Alan Rickman pretending to be one of the hostages in "Die Hard" ...
                          Mmm... Rickman...

Um, what were we talking about?

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                            It say 'i'm going home' :-)

I do appreciate that it sucks talking to someone overseas, I don't much like it myself. It just shits me when people excect us to make allowances for them cos their special. You've got 2 choices - speak to someone in India, or continue to have a broken phone. If I could fix it, I would, simply to end this stupid arguement.

Comment

A couple weeks ago, my boss (who is an insane crazy person) had an extended conversation with a bank representative with a heavy accent. At no point during the discussion was his accent an impediment. At the conclusion of their relevant business, she asked where he was located. He said India. She proceeded to give him a piece of her mind on how he was stealing American jobs, quoting employment statistics from our city, and basically calling him every name she could think of, including heathen, bloodsucker, etc. He remained silent throughout, and when she was done, he said politely, "Yes, ma'am. May Vishnu bless you," and hung up. I sort of love that man.

Comment

Working...
                              X